Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Pioneer space sim - a free awesome great space sim worth looking at.  (Read 37562 times)

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pioneer space sim - a free awesome great space sim worth looking at.
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2021, 03:43:23 pm »

Everything went well , though it took a lot of time in max acceleration and when i finally landed on the planet "too late, no money for you".

maybe if you are late it should give % reduced reward based on how late it is instead of none atall? (i.e. how euro truck sim does it)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2021, 04:25:45 am »

Good idea, it would be a lot less frustrating (as you have no way to know you're going to overshoot the time limit) that spending all that time for nothing.

I like the idea of radioactive revenge too :D

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2021, 04:30:54 am »

Everything went well , though it took a lot of time in max acceleration and when i finally landed on the planet "too late, no money for you".

maybe if you are late it should give % reduced reward based on how late it is instead of none atall? (i.e. how euro truck sim does it)

But what if they don't get their cargo unless they pay? Sell it on the black market if they don't pay up.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2021, 05:19:16 am »

I could be wrong, but I think mission cargo is taken immediately upon docking.

I did play this a bit a few days ago. Not the version labeled "artifacts", the one from July. Did fail a cargo run between Mars and Jupiter because I simply couldn't fly fast enough to get there on autopilot. So it's not just the artifacts version that ships are too slow. I do agree with getting a reduced payout for lateness.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2021, 02:22:46 pm »

There are two types of "mission cargo" currently.  Those which take up mass and those which don't.  Those without mass need to disappear.  Those with mass usually can't be sold on the market.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2021, 03:01:59 pm »

Very bothered by the extra length (that is extra longer in real time too) that interplanetary travels do now (in the past they were much faster in Pioneer) , as while browsing the Pioneer github i noticed this report talking about how much slower things can be now with the ship mass and whatever else :
https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/issues/5294

I then did a quick comparison test with Frontier Elite 2 (as Pioneer is a clone of it) and did the following and posted the result on the pioneer community forum :
Frontier Elite 2 (dosbox version, not GLFrontier, set to 8000 cycles as recommended).
start on Mars
sell beam laser and missiles to buy an autopilot (the starter ship on Mars does not have one by default)
target Uranus
take off , fly high enough and change the engine to the autopilot.
max time acceleration
+/- 30 seconds later you're in Uranus orbit. It's fast and how it should be

Pioneer (latest official release from July)
start on Mars
(no need to sell anything as the starter ship has an autopilot)
target Uranus
take off , fly a bit higher, right click on the Uranus target and select "medium orbit"
(forced with CTRL) max time acceleration
+/- 2 minutes and 10/15 seconds ! later you're in Uranus. It's way too long.
and that is with the default setup, meaning no extra fuel, no extra cargo in which i imagine it would take even longer in real time then according to the github report
so much time doing nothing and just sitting and staring at the screen until the distance number finally get to 0 isn't anything approaching what is considered as fun.

And that is for the real playing time but i imagine it also impact a lot the ingame time (can't do a relevant ingame time comparison as ships in Frontier Elite 2 and Pioneer have rather different configurations)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 04:50:16 pm by Robsoie »

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2021, 08:38:13 pm »

so much time doing nothing and just sitting and staring at the screen until the distance number finally get to 0 isn't anything approaching what is considered as fun.

that reminds me of star citizen... where it takes ages to get anywhere...

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2021, 08:46:35 am »

that reminds me of star citizen... where it takes ages to get anywhere...
In-game or with the development of the game?
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2023, 08:25:26 pm »

New version came out in February. I think I'm gonna boot this up and check out some of our stellar neighbors.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 24, 2023, 09:05:22 pm »

The Autopilot still has problems leaving Orbital Stations, so engage it AFTER you undock, LOL.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]