Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Book of Hours. Be an Occult Librarian, hoard forbidden knowledge, try not to die  (Read 4351 times)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile

Yeah, well, bought it. Haven't really dove into it properly yet.
On my first exploratory run I seem to have used the ink in one of the first rooms on the diary. Now I can't respond to the letter from the organisation. Is there a way to get more ink early on?
There is another bottle of ink in one of the few next rooms, i think. In my case it was "poisonous, don't touch letter without gloves" one.  :P Specific ink is other matter. I spent the first ink by brewing winter booze from it, and there was no more winter ink to be found in a third of a house. That doesn't matter, since i apparently need about 20 combined winter to do something with my diary, and that is not happening any time soon.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

On my first exploratory run I seem to have used the ink in one of the first rooms on the diary. Now I can't respond to the letter from the organisation. Is there a way to get more ink early on?
Also, I seem to have locked my lvl. 2 skill into a lvl. 1 slot in the tree. Is that the sort of underoptimised play to have to worry about? Or will there be more than enough skills to go around without worrying much about not playing optimally?
I'm sort of wondering how careful one needs to be here not to lock oneself out of various progression paths.

As mentioned, you will find more rooms with more ink in them. But you can also:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for the Lvl 2 skill in a Lvl 1 slot.....my sense is that you haven't boned yourself. You apparently NEED to upgrade each skill with a duplicate of itself. So even if you had slotted a Lvl 1 as Lvl 1, you'd have 1 skill left over and would need to find ANOTHER duplicate. There are a shit load of books so I'm guessing if you read enough of them you'll eventually find the dupes you need to upgrade.

But yes. I'm not a fan of the way the skill system is laid out. It's vague on what the consequences are. Like, I still haven't found a Nectar skill. Nectar seems really hard to acquire the points for, so you can read a Level 4 Nectar book. I really want the Nectar skill so I can start harvesting plants but it's dead last on the list of skills I need to learn. Kind of annoying.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile

Level 4 book meaning most basic one? You can wait for rain and study with heart, then hope that one of possibilities to increase points further will take a painting or something. Which is what I ended up doing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I've had a lot of foggy/windy/sunny days of late :P
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As for the Lvl 2 skill in a Lvl 1 slot.....my sense is that you haven't boned yourself. You apparently NEED to upgrade each skill with a duplicate of itself. So even if you had slotted a Lvl 1 as Lvl 1, you'd have 1 skill left over and would need to find ANOTHER duplicate. There are a shit load of books so I'm guessing if you read enough of them you'll eventually find the dupes you need to upgrade.

That was my understanding, but yesterday I found out, that you only need one duplicate and any matching memory.  :) 
I.e. I slot the knowledge I want to upgrade and one identical 'lesson', but soul and 2nd slot just have to share elements with the target skill.

I was indeed getting very frustrated having a ton of 1st level skills with so little way of upgrading them until I noticed this.

As for nectar skill:

My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Wait. When you upgrade a skill that's already locked in the tree, does it stay locked or do you get a brand new card that you can then put into the tree 'again'?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile

Wait. When you upgrade a skill that's already locked in the tree, does it stay locked or do you get a brand new card that you can then put into the tree 'again'?
It stays.
EDIT: Huge painted glass windows are wall decorations, but can't provide aspects because they can't be moved. >:(
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 08:53:07 am by MCreeper »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh. I've tried multiple times to upgrade a skill using a memory but it also implied to me it needs to be a lesson.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

Huh. I've tried multiple times to upgrade a skill using a memory but it also implied to me it needs to be a lesson.
You need 1 lesson with a matching aspect, note that it does not need to be for the *same* skill, it only needs a single aspect matching.
After that fill the rest of the slots with non-lesson memories with appropriate aspects so as to not waste lessons. Of course the game won't stop you from wasting lessons since they are also memories, so you can use them in a pinch.

Again, you do not need a exact duplicate lesson. So for example a forge/winter skill can be upgraded by a winter/scale lesson or a forge/knock lesson.
(I didn't realize any of this on my first playthrough, so I had like 8 moon/sky skills at level 1 instead of fewer skills at actual reasonable levels)
Yeah, it stays locked, so its a waste of resources basically.
Also, I seem to have locked my lvl. 2 skill into a lvl. 1 slot in the tree. Is that the sort of underoptimised play to have to worry about? Or will there be more than enough skills to go around without worrying much about not playing optimally?
I'm sort of wondering how careful one needs to be here not to lock oneself out of various progression paths.
Accidently taking a locked single skill to 2 should be pretty meaningless since it such a tiny investment, but its still a long term waste of resources. Presumably if you did it enough or took the skill high enough rank it would cause problems for you.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I figured out what my confusion was. I always converted Lessons into Skills and thought they were the same. So I kept trying to upgrade a skill using a skill. Derp.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does it matter what level or type of skill is used when taking a walk? Or is the find completely random?

Another Q: I've a book with Chionic Theoplasma. I'm trying to remove it. The blurb says I need a skill effective against theoplasmic contamination and min. 7 heart.
I'm using Quenchings and Quellings at lvl 3. I've already mastered the book, so now I'm just adding skills and memories to match 7 heart.
But it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong here? Do I need 7 heart just in the skill, without modifiers?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 02:42:29 pm by Il Palazzo »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not really? Although I've noticed as my aspect total goes higher, I tend to get more packages rather than garbo.

Does it matter what level or type of skill is used when taking a walk? Or is the find completely random?

Another Q: I've a book with Chionic Theoplasma. I'm trying to remove it. The blurb says I need a skill effective against theoplasmic contamination and min. 7 heart.
I'm using Quenchings and Quellings at lvl 3. I've already mastered the book, so now I'm just adding skills and memories to match 7 heart.
But it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong here? Do I need 7 heart just in the skill, without modifiers?

Unrelated, but I wish it told you which skill had already been used to combine aspects of the soul at what level. Or at least straight up told you in the info box that it was so. I also wish there was a disable for basic tutorial tips. Getting tired of having to click off the Tree of Wisdom message.

I ALSO wish there was a button for cycling through workstations, empty or not. There's so many upgrade stations I tend to forget where they all are.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 03:58:48 pm by nenjin »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Amen to all of that.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aye, that works.
And I've also just learned that you can
I suspect this librarian's productivity will jump through the roof now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well well well. That is quite a find.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5