Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Book of Hours. Be an Occult Librarian, hoard forbidden knowledge, try not to die  (Read 4341 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

Just a reminder to everyone to check every item in every room even if it looks like some little decoration that you can't do anything with because it might just turn out to be something actually useful or have some secret behind it like the [redacted] I found that is apparently an egg even though in real life its something that isn't an egg at all, or how there are actually a ton of tools just floating around the building as well, many of which are small and easy to miss.
(You can look for tools specifically by having a desk open and repeatedly clicking on the tool slot as you go over new rooms you find).
Does it matter what level or type of skill is used when taking a walk? Or is the find completely random?
I'm pretty sure based on the text that the season matters, but I have no clue if the aspects/skill do.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

That multitasking I mentioned earlier kinda breaks immersion. Hurts the vibe of the game, imo. Gonna have to stop myself from doing that, even if it's less efficient.

Btw, I'm not sure if there's gonna be much replay potential. The books might come in a different order, and the starting soul cards might be different, as well as the tiny bit of the librarian's backstory. But it will always be the same house, with the same rooms and the same stories to tell. I have maybe half the house cleared now, and I don't see what I'd be doing differently if I were to start over. I think the victory conditions are
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(I'm not sure that's spoiler worthy - the game pretty much tells you that early on)
The minor victory seems to be just ending the game early.
The only difference between replays I can envision right now is getting to read the lore off different high level books. Assuming one can't grind through to have enough in all aspects to read everything in a single playthrough.

Still, the experience so far has been highly enjoyable.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Endings I'm sure is the reason to replay. For example, as you're building out the Tree of Wisdom with slotted skills:

So you're kind of building a narrative tree there too. How much you get out of these games really depends on how much you like the Lore.

I confess though that I don't understand what attribute you're getting unlocked with you slot X skill in Y track. I level one up and slot it hoping for Phost but instead get Shapt, despite the skill I'm slotting having no real relation to Shapt....

Also kind of frustrating that if you bind a skill to a track and its upgrade work bench's allowed aspect doesn't match the skill you slotted...welp, guess you're just boned. I've gotten a couple like that. Really slows you down getting better base aspect levels because you can't consolidated aspects of the soul.

That multitasking I mentioned earlier kinda breaks immersion. Hurts the vibe of the game, imo. Gonna have to stop myself from doing that, even if it's less efficient.

Considering it's the only way you can utilize tools while researching, whether it's immersion breaking or not it feels kind of essential.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 09:22:14 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't mean not using the desks at all. I mean not reading five books simultaneously, in five corners of the house, while also watching a movie, and unpacking a mysterious bundle.
I should probably stop taking two walks at once too.

Btw, I like how I can use a mop to help with cleaning up theoplasmic contamination.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 10:11:34 pm by Il Palazzo »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kind of like Cultist Simulator, I know there's a ton of recipes you can do if you experiment enough.

But that's also part of Book of Hours' problem: there are SO MANY skills and it's not clear which ones actually produce interesting effects and which don't. Some are somewhat obvious, like a skill named "Weaving." Others not so much though. And even though the text of a Skill implies it does something specific, it's not clear if that's flavor or not. For example:

Is it actually THAT skill or just sufficient Grail and the right materials?

Like, there are only a finite number of books in the game. So you're kind of caught between "Do I use this to upgrade" or "Do I learn it as a skill because I don't actually know what it does without first learning it."

-edit-

Also, try checking couch cushions sometime :P
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 06:22:52 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That said it's the only thing of note in the room other than 2 butterfly lapidaries. Those feel like a huge waste of resources. I mean I kinda knew it was going to be a mostly useless stairway, but still. There's several rooms like that along the way, dining rooms and such. I just wish I had a game-ier reason to unlock them, instead of just an OCD reason.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't know Greek other than the alphabet, but that kinda looks like it needs more vowels.

So, how do I make jam?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't figure out cooking or brewing. I assume there's both a specific workstation and a specific skill you need. And no I don't want tips or hints. I just wish every workstation wasn't capable of making the same shit except in some very specific circumstances. I feel like half my time is spent trying combinations and getting the same three results per Aspect.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I did find it odd that I could brew some alchemical concoction by playing the organs.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Workstation doesn't matter, just the skill and the aspect strength.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd disagree. Just because some are like "If I use glass...." which means in some cases you do need the right workstation that accepts the right inputs for the right recipe.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Without spoiling anything I will confirm that some things are indeed unique to certain workstations.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that's also maybe one of the frustrating parts of the game. From the Workstations that upgrade Skills to the Workstations that actually do something specific, how you get these things has everything to do with how you unlock the House. So I'm like....50 hours in and I just found a Writing Desk that will handle Busk.

It's a shame the rooms aren't semi-randomly populated. I get why, the structure of Hush House and its rooms are part of the narrative. But it does make for some moments where you feel stuck simply because you haven't unlocked the right thing yet. Partly why I'm glad there's no real doomclock or upkeep.

I will say though that
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 03:03:48 pm by nenjin »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have half my mind made up to start a new run. The game has finally managed to teach me to clean my room organise the house properly, and now I can't stand the immutable mess that I've made of the Tree.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5