Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: does GOBBLE_VERMIN_CLASS work with the SYN_INJESTED-token?  (Read 597 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
does GOBBLE_VERMIN_CLASS work with the SYN_INJESTED-token?
« on: August 26, 2023, 06:51:15 pm »

I have a creature which gobbles some sort of bug.
The bug is made out of material, which has a syndrome both SYN_INGESTED and SYN_CONTACT

it doest seem to be applied.
What can be wrong?
is gobbling even considered a valid way of eating for syn_ingested?

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
Re: does GOBBLE_VERMIN_CLASS work with the SYN_INJESTED-token?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 11:06:23 pm »

No it works your creature isn't set up right

I found if the creature has more than one eating method the game only uses one

Like I had a creature that was [standard_grazer] I removed that token and the creature immediately starts eating nearby vermin

Also my syndrome was in the vermin creature not it's material syndrome was applied 😁

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 11:48:10 pm »

Youll want to post the raws of both creatures so we can see what could be wrong. Usually its just a typo.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 11:14:41 am »

Okay I copied the horse from the common domestic raw and only replaced standard grazer with [GOBBLE_VERMIN_CREATURE:my creature:caste]
 And now I've noticed that the horse never gets hungry and never eats and does not starve any more lol why I've had these horses locked in a room (under ground) for a year and they do not hunger

What's the point of eating vermin if you can't get hungry to eat them lol I'm still tinkering as if this post

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 02:17:05 pm »

Ok tested stuff at length,  the [STANDARD_GRAZER] causes hunger

if the gobble token is used together it starves
If the gobble token used alone it will no longer hunger or eat at all

The panda creature has [specific_food] token which can be used with creatures

Again with standard grazer and a specific creature food set animal still starves

Now with that said a creature that is starving will eat the specific food if I remove the standard grazer token why won't it eat the food while the grazer token is active

Is this a bug ?? Do panda starve to death or do they eat bamboo ?

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 03:16:39 pm »

Youll want to post the raws of both creatures so we can see what could be wrong. Usually its just a typo.
Alright

This is part of my creature bug.
* It spawns
* It crawls
* It is eaten
* nothing else happens.

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:BUG_FOREST]
body stuff

[DESCRIPTION:A woody bug.]
[NAME:woody bug:woody bugs:woody bug]
[CASTE_NAME:woody bug:woody bugs:woody bug]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BUG_TASTE_MAT:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen cave floater juice]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen cave floater juice]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:cave floater juice]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:cave floater juice]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:cave floater gas]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:cave floater gas]
[MELTING_POINT:10950]
[BOILING_POINT:11000]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:it is forest!]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:HAIRYBUGS]
[SYN_INGESTED]
[SYN_CONTACT]
[SYN_NO_HOSPITAL]
[CE_FEVER:SEV:500:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:1:PEAK:5:END:1500]
[CE_NAUSEA:SEV:350:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:1:PEAK:5:END:300]
[CE_DROWSINESS:SEV:750:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:2:PEAK:5:END:4000]
[CE_BLEEDING:SEV:350:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:2:PEAK:5:END:300]
[CE_DIZZINESS:SEV:750:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:2:PEAK:5:END:3000]
[CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:forest:foreseta:foresto:START:0:ABRUPT]
[CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:0:ABRUPT]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Vanish]
[CDI:INTERACTION:HELLO]
[CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY]
[CDI:VERB:vanish:vanishes:NA]
[CDI:TARGET_VERB:shudder and begin to move:shudders and begins to move]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:FREE_ACTION]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:20]
[TISSUE:BUG_TASTE]
[TISSUE_NAME:taste:NP]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BUG_TASTE_MAT]
[TISSUE_MAT_STATE:SOLID]
[STRUCTURAL]
[CONNECTS]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[MUSCULAR]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:30]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:BODY:BUG_TASTE]

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 04:49:56 pm »

Just a shot in the dark from looking at it but I'm going to say maybe the fact that the syndrome is inside the creature extract is why it's not working cuz when the bug gets eat, it's not eating the extract, it's eating the bug right?

lol how are you getting the animal that's doing the eating to get "hungry" to eat the bug ?
I would love to know how your getting the eater to eat if it is not in a state of hunger

I have a tissue template, a material and  a creature variation to get the syndrome inside of the food animal
hope this helps ya

tissue template
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the creature variation

this is the caste of a creature with the syndrome that is applyed when eaten, the creature is a fish,[vermin_fish],[fish_item]
material template

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2023, 09:10:56 pm »

Those are the definitions I made for Spellcrafts, there, and of course the creature variation Hugo_The_Dwarf came up with to make it work. But it shouldnt be necessary in this case to go that far, since he doesnt need multiple castes that are all based on the same template repeated like the essence creature is.

What you posted looks like it should work, you might have to try pairing down whatever tissues/materials your bug is made of so only the extract layer is left. Essences of course only ever had one layer, thats just what they are is a blob of semi-solid magic "essence". It might be the game only calls on one material when eating a vermin, and I don't know if that would be innermost or outermost, first defined or last etc.

I'm going to see if turkey can do magic if they eat an essence, since I know those work. If they can't, then gobble-vermin doesnt apply syndromes from the vermin eaten.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2023, 10:28:34 pm »

Okay, I tested it myself in 47.05 (adventure mode made testing quick and easy), and it looks like gobble vermin in fact does not apply syndromes to creatures. Eating essences myself works, pet turkeys that eat them do not get the syndrome, even though the syndrome works on animals as well as people.

Try turning your vermin into a fish item, applying it to a civ, and embarking with it as food, and see if dwarves that eat it get the syndrome or not. Put this in the dwarf civ:

[ANIMAL]
      [ANIMAL_TOKEN:your bug creature ID here]
      [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 10:30:42 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2023, 11:13:13 pm »

yea I love your work man :D ive learned a lot from dissecting your mod :D

I used gobble vermin with your essence creature and the animal ate it and got the syndrome ? but the animal only ate it when it was in a "hungry" state I could only get an animal in a hungry"state" by starving it with the [standard_grazer] token then save/exit game then remove it....

but after the standard grazer tag is gone the animal will never get hungry again after it eats the vermin

:( entire mechanic needs some work :(

from what ive seen to "eat" something you must "ingest" it, to ingest something you must be "hungry" and only [standard_grazer] and [can_learn] [intelligent] creatures can get hungry and sadly grazers only eat [grass](from the ground) tried giving modded grass in stockpiles they wouldn't eat it) and [can_learn] [intelligent] will just eat what ever they feel like eating...

maybe with something like dfhack you can force hunger onto a creature but that's not really ideal mod wise :(

what's even funnier is that creature(hedgehog) ive found in the vanilla raws that have the gobble_vermin token don't get hungry (they are not grazer or learn,intelligent)so when they gobble vermin what is the point of it?  is the entire point of eating vermin  to merely reduce there numbers ?

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2023, 12:29:08 am »

This is really usefull, thanks guys!
I think theres a syndrome that can make them hungry, that might work

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2023, 12:36:54 am »

a crude workaround if you could call it that would be to tie a syndrome like [ce_add_tag:can_learn]with a duration long enuff to cause hunger
then turn it off [ce_remove_tag:can_learn] with another syndrome
i havnt tested it but i believe when you remove the can learn the creature would immediately path to the [gobble_vermin] creature and eat it

but i dont know if thats ideally what your looking for, its definatly not ideal

i mean i guess if you want a creature that never needs to eat except when you need it to eat a very specific thing for a specific reason lol :D
it would still be an uphill battle implementing it cause animals do not hunger very quickly lol

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2023, 12:40:52 am »

If you make them intelligent, they will need to eat then. You could also make certain creatures/classes immune to your syndrome (like the playable races/other intelligent creatures) and make the vermin bite animals, injecting the extract. Look at cave spiders or honey bees for examples.

Also, vermin-gobbling is totally separate from the actual food/nutrition system. Only intelligent creatures or grazers need to eat normally. CARNIVORE and BONECARN will cause an intelligent creature to need to consume exclusively meat, and CURIOUSBEAST_EATER and CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER will cause animals to seek out and "eat" food and drink, respectively, but they won't starve to death.
I make Spellcrafts!

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2023, 12:46:30 am »

vermin gobbling is separate it seems but if a hungry creature that has only [gobble_vermin_creature:creature:creature_caste] token will eat the specified vermin and the hunger is sated

id say its not 100% totally separate but its very disconnected

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2023, 12:52:50 am »

Id never seen that before. Good to know.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: [1] 2