Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to get a SYNDROME applied with PLANT GROWTH  (Read 533 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trying to get a SYNDROME applied with PLANT GROWTH
« on: September 03, 2023, 02:44:46 pm »

Hi modders!

So this is my plant
Code: [Select]
[PLANT:MY_GRASS]
[NAME:my grass][NAME_PLURAL:my grass][ADJ:my grass]
[FREQUENCY:100]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:grass syndrome1]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_INGESTED]
[CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:gr1:grstr1:grstr1:START:0:ABRUPT]

It affects grazers and works fine.
However now i want to attach a syndrome to one if it growths, and I cant get it working. The grazers dont eat the growth, so I made it boil quickly so it should get inhaled. but with no luck.

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL_BUD:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:10000]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:10001]
[MOLAR_MASS:3600]
[BASIC_COLOR:1:0]
[BUILD_COLOR:3:0:0]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:grass syndrome3]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_INHALED]
[CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:gr3:grstr3:grstr3:START:0:ABRUPT]

[GROWTH:BUDDY]
[GROWTH_NAME:b2:STP]
[GROWTH_ITEM:BOULDER:NONE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL_BUD]
[GROWTH_DENSITY:5000]
[GROWTH_TIMING:17920:19040] grows at day one after embark (15th of granite) and drops at day 2 or 3
[GROWTH_DROPS_OFF_NO_CLOUD]
[GROWTH_PRINT:0:7:2:0:0:240000:249999:1]

Yes I know a let it drop as a stone boulder, but I already tried to let it work with a Plant_growth - fruit.

BTW I also dont get a gas cloud

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
Re: Trying to get a SYNDROME applied with PLANT GROWTH
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 10:44:28 pm »

[STANDARD_GRAZER] only eat grass, not any other food

and even if this were to work you would have to have the animal standing on the tile the plant was on or very near it and "pray" the animal breaths the gas

ive never seen templates stacked like this not saying its wrong but ive never seen it in any raws or examples ive ever seen.

does the error file say anything curious ?

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 12:54:30 am »

Well, thanks for the compliments :-D creating something new is my ultimate goal.

I think ive got it already, but havent tested yet. The material lacks SPEC_HEAT, meaning that it will nog heat up.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 02:56:10 am »

I tried to do something similar once, but didn't manage to get it to work.

I might remember this wrong (it's some time), but it seemed that plant growths that drop off don't spawn an item (at least directly) on the ground. The tile where they drop says the plant growth name (in addition to all grass etc. on the tile) and this can be collected with a plant gathering zone and only when they're picked up they turn into the item (and then it'll boil if the material properties are set that way, iirc).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 03:21:38 am »

[STANDARD_GRAZER] only eat grass, not any other food

and even if this were to work you would have to have the animal standing on the tile the plant was on or very near it and "pray" the animal breaths the gas

ive never seen templates stacked like this not saying its wrong but ive never seen it in any raws or examples ive ever seen.

does the error file say anything curious ?

[STANDARD_GRAZER] is also a a byword for vegetarians, so sentient examples are also exempt from meat (with a couple of ways to get around it such as part meat-part plant finished meals or cheese) just as a sidenote, but as grass isn't really harvestable. Maybe id suggest making more conventional harvestables and calling the leaf growth "a clump of grass" so its indistinguishable from lettuce?

Though obviously you have something in mind, perhaps look at what mountain avens do, with a bud and a flower. I think the bud might preclude the flower though as their timings are different, which you could use as a mechanism to force melt it, when the bud and the flower open at peak period, their combined heat could serve to melt the stone element of the bud into gas.

Unintentionally cloud bursting stone 'spores' would be pretty funny/deadly potentially if you could get this working.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 03:23:36 am by FantasticDorf »

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 03:42:16 am »

So its not perse about the grass. My intent is to have a syndrome that is applied at a specific time of the year. Like 'spring-happynes'.
It is working so far that i have the grass and also the growths, nicely following each other after a day.
But indead I dont think they spawn really as an item. They seem to stick to the plant.
Anyway, have to try the spec-heat element, and after that i'll report back

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023, 06:38:32 am »

you can apply syndromes with regional weather/effects too but ive not used them yet so couldnt tell you how to implement them in the slightest...yet

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 03:11:33 pm »

I tried to do something similar once, but didn't manage to get it to work.

I might remember this wrong (it's some time), but it seemed that plant growths that drop off don't spawn an item (at least directly) on the ground. The tile where they drop says the plant growth name (in addition to all grass etc. on the tile) and this can be collected with a plant gathering zone and only when they're picked up they turn into the item (and then it'll boil if the material properties are set that way, iirc).
confirmed with my observations, I think this is right. Thank you.