Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beast Mode - be a forgotten beast!  (Read 582 times)

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beast Mode - be a forgotten beast!
« on: September 06, 2023, 06:08:58 am »

I suggest to add a whole new mode to the game so that you can play as a megabeast.

I think it would be hugely fun to assault sites as a beast and watch the inhabitants flee in terror. The thought of attacking as a forest retreat as a dragon and watching the flames consume everything is also very appealing to me.

You could also assault your own retired forts.

If beast mode pulled numbers from legends so you get a list of the most deadly and destructives creatures in the history of the world plus the most deadly rampages, it would surely be fun to try and be the top beast of the world.

Also you can challenge yourself by playing as a forgotten beast made of vomit or fire.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beast Mode - be a forgotten beast!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 12:09:35 pm »

Id hope this could help out the combat screen prototypes Toady was talking about for the roadmap, so while you send your megabeast/member of your megabeast group/ some underlings like megabeast cultist worshippers or lesser monsters are out fighting and looting in the world, your focus can remain on your den.

You could also assault your own retired forts.

If beast mode pulled numbers from legends so you get a list of the most deadly and destructives creatures in the history of the world plus the most deadly rampages, it would surely be fun to try and be the top beast of the world.

You can already get the experience of doing this sort of thing in 47.05, by DFhack transforming yourself into the monster but the appeal of being able to do it in vanilla is very real.

Being a giant in a big family group could be very gratifying, since many tend to live in the same cave, they can hold and use weapons, and they can also communicate, so it'd be like playing a giant-adventurer/villian, as you plush out your den with stolen goods and expand your fame. A animal like a FB/Roc or Dragon could be a bit harder, since they rely mostly on the reputation of destruction and have pretty much only their natural abilities to hand of what people following them could do for them like you say.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 02:25:50 pm »

It does sound fun and I have seen some community appeal in the form of requests for my spellcrafts mod, where a couple users saw I left in some outsider-controllable megabeasts I was testing and wanted to expand on their capabilities or make them play nice with townsfolk at least some of the time. Mechanically I imagine if this was intentionally implemented it would just be a playstyle in adventure mode, where because you're playing as a megabeast you get kicked out of towns (as is currently the case; everyone aggros you as a megabeast or night creature, but maybe they should hold back and just tell you to leave and try to organize an actual militia or mob to force you to leave/kill you) and make friends/family with other beasts (which is not possible currently; other beasts are just as hostile as townsfolk).

Some things you can't do currently; make permanent friends/family with anybody in adventure mode, especially as a megabeast. Break down doors or other obstacles, even as a building destroyer. Expect any sort of resistance to a rampage besides the occasional peasant that chooses to fight instead of run. Or be pursued or hunted by the law or military, or bounty hunters, angry peasant militias etc.

It can be fun to run in and slaughter entire populations, but there's no rewarding game mechanics or escalation as a result currently.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 11:37:00 am »

I wouldnt mind treating it sort of like a sims house where you have to try to manage some of the sentient and nonsentient needs alongside the actual rampaging part. We already have adventuremode crafting out of wood for building and placing zones (47.05 mind you, what adventuremode 50 will bring is unknown, but there's already more zones than there was before but probably just not the coding to have a adventuremode camp with a pasture, barracks, or a dungeon)

Bunch of subterrenean dwellers/kobolds you've successfully subjugated could stand guard and live in a little barracks area zone while you sleep so that your beastmode game isn't cut short by monster-hunters, running in declaring their intent loudly to slay you or other monsters trying to edge in on your turf in increasing waves.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 05:18:29 pm »

a brilliant suggestion! and still relevant to the extant roadmap! and genuinely feasible within the constraints of the game as designed! I think we have a winner here

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 03:44:30 pm »

I wouldnt mind treating it sort of like a sims house where you have to try to manage some of the sentient and nonsentient needs alongside the actual rampaging part. We already have adventuremode crafting out of wood for building and placing zones (47.05 mind you, what adventuremode 50 will bring is unknown, but there's already more zones than there was before but probably just not the coding to have a adventuremode camp with a pasture, barracks, or a dungeon)

Bunch of subterrenean dwellers/kobolds you've successfully subjugated could stand guard and live in a little barracks area zone while you sleep so that your beastmode game isn't cut short by monster-hunters, running in declaring their intent loudly to slay you or other monsters trying to edge in on your turf in increasing waves.

There's also these cults that worshp megabeasts. You could try to impress everybody and become a false god and have your cult protect you.

Resmisal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 04:54:05 pm »

Reclaim fortress, but it's, a beast cleaning out a fortress? Amazing! Once you come around in adventure mode you can slay the beast and win the monarch.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 03:48:55 pm »

IMO it should be like adventure mode, but with megabeasts, so that you could then travel to another sites and destroy/subdue them. You can already make some very OP adventurers, but it pales in comparison with what megabeasts can do.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).