Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Syndrome/Interaction death effects  (Read 451 times)

xer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Syndrome/Interaction death effects
« on: September 10, 2023, 05:51:14 pm »

Is it possible to have an applied syndrome trigger an interaction when the creature dies?

For instance, something like a zombie syndrome that doesn't kill the creature, but if it dies of an unrelated condition it reanimates itself (or spawns an undead of some kind)

Judging from the wiki, I can have an interaction that another creature can trigger to cause the desired result (targeting corpses) or I can have the effect apply immediately, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something (or if there is a trick to mimic that effect).

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
Re: Syndrome/Interaction death effects
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 06:54:35 pm »

Is it possible to have an applied syndrome trigger an interaction when the creature dies?

For instance, something like a zombie syndrome that doesn't kill the creature, but if it dies of an unrelated condition it reanimates itself (or spawns an undead of some kind)

Judging from the wiki, I can have an interaction that another creature can trigger to cause the desired result (targeting corpses) or I can have the effect apply immediately, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something (or if there is a trick to mimic that effect).

Off the top of my head with no actual testing involved

I would think for odd work around you could have the creature you want to come back to life summon one smaller benign creature that doesn't do anything but make Resurrection checks and when when and if the creature dies it makes a resurrection check and brings it back to life if it hasn't died also

which if you wanted to keep the smaller monster from dying you could just create a monster that's literally immortal and it can't die problem solved

Word of warning though creatures that perform Resurrection checks willy-nilly are very dangerous in fortress mode
The resurrection spell effect is 3D in that it goes up and down z-levels, use care as you can resurrect thing above and below ground depending on the target range setting

Also something to note with the resurrection interaction it is an area of effect that will bring back anything anything caught in its effect radius including bad guys

And if they were an enemy before death they are an enemy after resurrection
 there are odd exceptions but I'm not sure what exactly governs them

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 04:25:39 am »

I interaction is tricky, because its hard to manage the exact time on which it happens. What necromancers do, is an interaction in which they raise all dead in their visual range, when in combat.
I guess if you have a necromancer nearby, that will reanimate your creature as long as he is in combat.

I was wondering also some time, if I could make a invisible guardian angel that assists my creature in such ways, but I havent figured out how to make it stick to his side.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 04:27:39 am »

If there is a animation syndrome, you can contineusly apply it by a secretion. So when the creature dies, its contaminant is still on it.
I think this might work! I'm going to theck the reanimating rains!

EDIT: nah.. animation is an interaction effect. It can be accompanied by a syndrome, but I think you'll need the interaction to begin with.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 04:47:44 am by joostheger »

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 04:50:50 am »

well, you can make a regional interaction, present at all times, in all regions, and with IT_AFFECTED_CREATURE or ...CLASS set, so that (only) your creature is constantly reanimated.

xer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 05:53:50 pm »

well, you can make a regional interaction, present at all times, in all regions, and with IT_AFFECTED_CREATURE or ...CLASS set, so that (only) your creature is constantly reanimated.

Wouldn't the main problem with this be that, at least according to the wiki, regions can only have one regional interaction?

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 06:28:45 pm »

How do you activate regional weather interactions??
Never mind I figured it out all my dwarf are dead....
Lmao

Necrotic rain .....lol so good

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 08:29:34 am »

Wouldn't the main problem with this be that, at least according to the wiki, regions can only have one regional interaction?
I found that that's not necessarily 100% true you can only have one regional interaction that you define but if you define one and embark to say a haunted embark zone you will have multiple weather effects. !fun!