Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squad ammo selection  (Read 446 times)

Quizmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Squad ammo selection
« on: September 17, 2023, 03:24:07 pm »

I was really hoping that 50.10 was going to add the squad ammo selection feature from pre .47. Why is it not in? I am extremely disappointed and my day is ruined, I've been waiting for full classic functionality since steam release, but I guess I've got to keep waiting. What is the point of "fixing" the ammo, but not re-adding this feature? It's hard to be excited about df development in the face of let downs like this

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Squad ammo selection
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 05:31:33 pm »

It's still an improvement, and if it meant we got a fix for archers picking up ammo sooner I'm happy for the compromise.  UI work always takes longer.

I'm sure it'll be restored eventually, but maybe not until some of the more comprehensive fixes for archers that the devs have talked about.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 05:07:39 pm »

I was really hoping that 50.10 was going to add the squad ammo selection feature from pre .47. Why is it not in? I am extremely disappointed and my day is ruined, I've been waiting for full classic functionality since steam release, but I guess I've got to keep waiting. What is the point of "fixing" the ammo, but not re-adding this feature? It's hard to be excited about df development in the face of let downs like this
Did you read the patch notes? They're working on it

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 10:38:58 pm »

you know, Dwarf Fortress premium is kinda like Mao's Great Leap Forward. . . instead of millions of dead, its millions of disappointed fans. In time, the greater purpose will become clear and the sacrifice will be justified. so we hope.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 06:38:02 pm »

I'm always sad when people are disappointed with this kind of thing.  It's easy to be very self centered when you think, "Why didn't X get fixed?  It's so obvious/important!"  The reality is that DF is a *big* game and the needs/wants of the fan base are *very* diverse.  How many times have I typed out all of the problems with containers only to have someone reply with, "There aren't any problems with containers!"  The thing that is completely stopping me from doing what I want to do isn't even visible to some other players.  Ammo/archery stops some people from playing the game.  For me?  I just pretend that it was never implemented in the first place.  Don't care.

I've said it a lot, but I think it's worth repeating.  DF isn't developed the way you would develop most games.  Tarn has decided to implement a breadth of features rather than perfecting a small set of features.  The result is haphazard, idiosyncratic, often buggy, but magical.  There are other ways to do it, but I don't think you end up with the same magic in the end.  We obviously want it all, but I don't think that's reasonable.  I'm more than happy with what I have, but I can understand that some people don't agree.  You're never going to please everybody.