Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Buryvault -- A {{{Peaceful}}} Little Town -- Community Fortress  (Read 1290 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Buryvault -- A {{{Peaceful}}} Little Town -- Community Fortress
« on: September 29, 2023, 09:31:43 am »

Howdy Bay12, how I have missed you!

After many long and weary years without Dwarf Fortress I have finally decided to come home! This time kicking things off with a somewhat pre-developed Community Fortress. Welcome to Buryvault, a bastion of upstanding Dwarven morals where nothing bad ever happens and the good dwarves always win!

Here is the Fortress in the year of our lord 204:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Growing at a steady rate, the fortress is populated with many interesting and hardworking figures! Most dwarves but the occasional human. But of all the residents there are only two who truly matter...

Of note are two other summary events that have transpired since the founding of our beautiful settlement:

And that, my dear dwarves, is that. There is still much to do. Cultivate more subterranean farms. Improve the surface defenses. Recruit, equip, and house larger numbers of militia. Craft goods, jewels, and tradestuffs. Devise. Design. Improve. Produce. Produce. Produce. This list of things in need of doing and fires in need of fighting is never-ending. And to that end, Goodly Mayor Zefonkes has decided to enlist the help of our local population in the form an advisory council (you, my lovely forum-goers) to decide on what exactly needs doing next!

So yea... suggest things and I WILL do them (to the best of my ability lol). I am also happy to name dwarves after my lovely participants--but at a population of 80+ it will be hard to maintain any definite list here.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Buryvault -- A {{{Peaceful}}} Little Town -- Community Fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 02:22:49 pm »

May I be dwarfed as a stonemason who believes in a local god of nature, or weather, or earth? I would then request a small shrine be constructed topside, nothing crazy... honoring that same natural god.

nice constructions btw. I enjoy the angled square shape of the moat.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 04:13:39 pm »

May I be dwarfed as a stonemason who believes in a local god of nature, or weather, or earth? I would then request a small shrine be constructed topside, nothing crazy... honoring that same natural god.

The peoples' will be done! A shrine to Thikut, God of Nature and Writing has been raised! The first prayer uttered by Salmeuk the Worshipful! Replete with and very popular among the Fort's animal population~

nice constructions btw. I enjoy the angled square shape of the moat.

Thank you kind my kind dorf, if we are to perish we shall do so in style I say.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 04:15:10 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 08:49:42 pm »

I'd like a dwarf!

Perhaps a smith? or miner?
Here's hoping I live long enough to have grand children!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2023, 04:41:31 am »

I'd also like a dwarf, no preference for a profession so I'm good with whoever you'll give me.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 08:14:32 am »

I'd like a dwarf!

Perhaps a smith? or miner?
Here's hoping I live long enough to have grand children!

I'd also like a dwarf, no preference for a profession so I'm good with whoever you'll give me.

Meanwhile, during the distribution of titles, a cyclops has attacked the fortress. Thankfully our heroic militia rallied to destroy the abomination!

Sadly, two fisherdwarves and a dog were tragically slain by the beast before the militia could traverse the river bridge to save them... and unfortunately I must also report that our esteemed militiadwarf Kib must retire following severe injuries sustained during the gruesome affair. He has lost the ability to stand, but thankfully can still engage in his chosen profession of preparing and cooking food for the community. The slain have been interred in coffins along the central stair, so that all may pay their respects to those who fed the fortress.

In happier news, the expansion of the Lower Fortress continues!

The current phase of the expansion includes twenty new apartments, a barracks for a future fortress guard, and dedicated space for smithing (seen under construction to the north of the old mine galleries).

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2023, 05:32:56 pm »

Cyclops, ez

are goblin sieges a thing here? that could be worrysome

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 05:42:07 pm »

Liking the lower fort design very much!

Also, if dwarfings are still happening, I'd like to be dorfed! (Yes, as a brewer if possible.)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2023, 06:12:52 pm »

Those diagonal rooms look surprisingly good in context. Very cathedral feel to the whole place.

Gimme a glassworker, and have him start producing clear glass cages for a zoo. The zoo should make vermin and fish vermin a priority, but anything goes. Including invaders.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2023, 10:33:03 am »

Cyclops, ez

are goblin sieges a thing here? that could be worrysome

Yes and yes, we've already had (and dispatched) several goblin thieves. The surface defenses do need to be improved, but being a good mayor I will rely on the democratic process to provide an initiative to do so!

Liking the lower fort design very much!

Also, if dwarfings are still happening, I'd like to be dorfed! (Yes, as a brewer if possible.)

Thank you! And yes, coming right up!

Those diagonal rooms look surprisingly good in context. Very cathedral feel to the whole place.

Gimme a glassworker, and have him start producing clear glass cages for a zoo. The zoo should make vermin and fish vermin a priority, but anything goes. Including invaders.

Thank you, I'm hoping to make the lower fortress very sprawling--city-like--in contrast to the fairly utilitarian upper fortress. We getting LABYRINTHINE up in this booiiiii...

Also, nice, coming right up! Time to jumpstart the glass industry. Speaking of, do fish vermin need like... a cage submerged in water? How do we do that?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2023, 03:08:37 pm »

You can declare terrariums (glass cages) into aquariums! I forget the exact process, but it's pretty easy.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2023, 05:30:33 pm »

Dwarf me in plz.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2023, 09:38:24 am »

First up, Dorfings:
We didn't actually have a resident glassmaker at the fort yet, so I gave IronyOwl a smith!

Meanwhile, the lower fortress continues to expand at an alarming rate. We've officially established a Fortress Guard with a combined Captain/Hammerer/Dungeon Master role. Likewise housing is expanding, we've aside space for another gallery and the Aquarium is under construction. Building a couple of offices for the manager and friends too.

You can only partly see it, but the glass industry has just got up and running with its first unit of precursor pearlash produced. Once we have our first terrarium we will begin catching fish for display!

EDIT: let me know if you guys want to see other parts of the fort for the purpose of suggestions!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 09:42:11 am by Urist McScoopbeard »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2023, 02:49:17 pm »

No glassworkers among 80+ dwarves? Madness! Next you'll be telling me there's not a soul to make cheese!

Speaking of which, we should probably work on our military. How big and well armed is the fortress guard at the moment?

Regardless, a low wooden wall is no place for dwarves to fight from! We need a tall stone block wall with periodic towers and an impressive gate complex!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2023, 04:37:36 pm »

No glassworkers among 80+ dwarves? Madness! Next you'll be telling me there's not a soul to make cheese!

Speaking of which, we should probably work on our military. How big and well armed is the fortress guard at the moment?

Regardless, a low wooden wall is no place for dwarves to fight from! We need a tall stone block wall with periodic towers and an impressive gate complex!

A tall order! But very exciting and much, MUCH needed.

In terms of military we have one militia squad and the fortress guard. About 15 dwarves altogether armored with iron armor and spears.

... Do you think we could simply burn the old fort down to build the new one faster?
Pages: [1] 2