Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Autumn Kingdom Spookycession fortress - overseers welcome  (Read 4711 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Autumn Kingdom Spookycession fortress - overseers welcome
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2023, 05:07:25 am »

Dang my pumpkin has five kids, I think that's the most kids any of my people have ever had in a fort.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2023, 05:27:23 am »

Dang my pumpkin has five kids, I think that's the most kids any of my people have ever had in a fort.

I was just about to say that your dudes have lately had quite a lot of kids. Think about your capybara dude and his ~10 (or was it more?) kids.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2023, 05:42:46 am »

I was just about to say that your dudes have lately had quite a lot of kids. Think about your capybara dude and his ~10 (or was it more?) kids.
I had just thought about him and all his kids right after posting that, but I didn't change it because I wasn't sure what to change it to.

Hopefully the fox guy that has taken his place will also have a lot of children.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:incessant muttering]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2023, 10:05:53 am »

Still drafting the post for this, but in the interim here's the save: click me! Like the description on the file listing says, I focused mostly on mining so I could get stable steel production. Unfortunately I wasn't able to. I traded with the humans and the homepatch, but chose not to trade a lot with the strangelings, because of their grown items making me think they inherited elven aversion to natural items of wood and bone.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Richard Stallman's Kind Communication Guidelines

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2023, 03:06:29 pm »

awesome... ive got some backlog here but expect some post or another in a day or two!

Your digital descendants will be like the dust of the earth

but chose not to trade a lot with the strangelings, because of their grown items making me think they inherited elven aversion to natural items of wood and bone.

I failed to trade during my turn. perhaps I will test this theory..

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2023, 04:41:33 pm »

You are still doing better than my Autumn Kingdom Succession game did.  I still have flachbacks....the horror.... :'(
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2023, 07:35:58 pm »

You are still doing better than my Autumn Kingdom Succession game did.  I still have flachbacks....the horror.... :'(

You should consider trying your luck again with this one if you've the time, Callisto!

King zultan we should do a succession game with a generation fortress and name each of your descendants King Zultan just to see how many generations we can go and spread out.

Sounds like we are getting set up for some ideal scaring games whether in the caverns or the world map!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2023, 03:40:03 am »

King zultan we should do a succession game with a generation fortress and name each of your descendants King Zultan just to see how many generations we can go and spread out.
King Zultan
King Zultan 2: Son of Zultan
King Zultan 3: Daughter of the son of Zultan
King Zultan 4: Son of the daughter of the son of Zultan
Ect

I can see it being a long running series that everyone will love!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2023, 10:39:39 pm »

I focused mostly on mining

you didn't lie...this was the screen upon cracking open the save:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2023, 05:21:39 pm »

heh. Yeah. Still couldn't find any lignite, and there was more mining planned, but I ran out of time.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2023, 11:31:51 am »

The pumpkins tumbled over one another, climbing at the wall grates, trying to use their vines to climb out... we had too many Great Pumpkins. The butchers were called...

Pumpkin pie, anyone?

+++

Subterranean exploration led us to an important discovery: caverns! The first set were nothing special, but the second opening.... this second cavern layer is so deep that we cannot see the bottom. Our depth-measuring ropes were useless, having dropped 50 z-levels without touching solid rock. What had caused such voluminous spaces to develop?

50-z levels below, still only darkness.

+++

Ear the ghostly miner patrols the surface farms

+++

We stripped the woodland close to the outgoing road. This was the result, a full stockroom:

and in context of previous digging:

the next overseer will have plenty of smelting to do.

+++

A wood-and-stone barrier wall was constructed on the moat. We are very, very safe. Also because nothing seems to want to attack us?

+++

After a year of seer-ing, I have completed my turn. save here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16889

large gif of the surface:

Things are peaceful and easy here.

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2023, 06:46:16 am »

Did you try trading with the strangelings? I wanna know what their deal is.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2023, 04:51:57 pm »

no sadly. I'm really bad at trading. I always make a mental note that the traders have arrived.... then get distracted because it's DF. . . and because premium no longer gives us a noticeable 'leaving soon' announcement they soon leave without me noticing.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2023, 05:46:57 am »

Well, this is a year of big changes for us pumpkins...

We had some complaints and grumblings from the pumpkin heads that we had drifted too far away from our roots. Living underground, building a fortress and becoming a forge-town, but that's the price of safety in these times! Whole world's gone mad!

As a concession though we decided to expand our fields. One day we may see the roads to our town lined with fields of good honest labor!

Also put some peasants to work! These guys have been standing around for who knows how long only occasionally helping carry things for others! To the fields with you!

We saw fit to look into the caverns once more and found something strange...

The floor is covered in grass!
In the distance we see one of the locals

We decided on two things in regards to the caves below!

1. After having some monster hunters and bounty hunters show up asking us if they could enter the caves we decided to let them
2. Because of that we decided we needed a proper bridge to the caves for safety!

Mid construction and tragedy struck!
The salamander swam over and grabbed a pumpkin right from the water!

She is wrestling free!

Oh thank goodness she made it to the shore on the other side!

Oh no the salamander followed her! He threw her back in the water!

OH what's this! Karm the herbalist jumped into the water and swam over! He's beating the salamander!

The animal caretaker the salamander attacked swam back to the bridge and climbed up. Good thing that all pumpkins know at least basic swim techniques. In a world that is mostly filled with water it would be ridiculous for us to not have even basic swimming abilities!

Karm chases the salamander off! But I think he's afraid of jumping back into the water to cross? I can't blame him it's so dark in here and who knows what else is in there. Regardless, we gotta got this guy some recognition!

Well, while Karm waits on the bridge to finish I wanted to see some of the specters that joined us.

As it turns out even their gods have become ghosts now!

We decided to add a second pasture just past the new fields for great pumpkins for when the original pasture overflows. We figure it will give a good distraction if those bogeys attack plus the pumpkins appreciate any rural aesthetic we can give them.

Oh Mcman is haunting us now. Scared some pumpkins he served with, but hey Mcman just head over to the tavern and hang with the other ghosts!

I gotta say even if some of the pumpkins grumble about wanting to return to the farms I am impressed by our forge, smelting and stone set up! Everything makes perfect sense where it is! Whoever's idea this was had a tedious job to do, but they made it easier for the rest of us!

Let's check in on Karm; it's been several days now and all.

He looks really lonely. He's just wandering around the caves exploring and occasionally cleaning up blood splatters from where predators battled.
Hold on, buddy! Help is almost there!

I think he went a bit wacky in the solitude he's trying to keep cleaning the caves, but we got one of our mason's carrying him back. Rest well, hero!

A famous bounty hunter entered the caverns. A specter with a gun. I don't know what he is hunting for, but best we stay out of his way. He promised to share any maps of the caves he draws so that is nice.

A monster slayer beheaded the salamander-GOOD.

Many of us pumpkins have been talking about the world situation.
Strangelings took a town from us and the bogeys are continuing to attack us and have taken a few human towns, of which there are only a few left!
We've been blessed by the great pumpkin spirit with peace, but frankly I don't think she would want us to sit by while others are being hurt!

I mean just this year another pumpkin and human town were founded nearby by refugees fleeing! There's now hundreds of people wandering the forests near here looking for homes!

In the history of pumpkinheads we've never been the ones to start a war, but only acted in self-defense. Today that has to change and may our king accept our decision.

It's done! We sure surprised those bogeys haha. Took out two of their dark pits!

Since the battles took place we got word that two more pumpkin villages got founded nearby and rely on us! That makes 7 villages now! They have almost no leadership or protection and need us

Yeah we definitely made the right choice to attack first. The king sent an envoy to promote Sodafountain even further. I think he might be the highest-ranking noble other than the king now!

Also the specter axewoman got in a fight with a spider. The specter is tireless, but webbed. While the spider can't bite through her helmet. They seem doomed to fight for eternity. We will check back later.

Preparing for the strangelings to come back next year. Had a town hall meeting in the mansion and a lot of folks were annoyed at how we ignore our strangeling guests who come to trade. It's just not neighborly. So we queued up some gold crafts and some other wooden works to see what they might buy from us in the spring.
We also agreed that if pumpkins are going to war we need more on the homefront. All farmers have been drafted into a militia and they will use their farming scythes as weapons. They only train in winter though because they need to be working the rest of the year!

Oh wow the spider and specter still going?

A giant rat is wandering our mines now. Got in from the caves.

Oh hey the spider just got up and left the specter. Can't blame it hahaha.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 05:25:07 am by Maloy »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2023, 07:25:51 am »

Here throwing the save down already!
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16891
Had a lot happen in short time! We are getting invasions now! Post rest of the updates soon!

One of the things I was trying to set up for my next turn is to make sure we got plenty of tombs and a good wall ready

I was thinking of duplicating the save and if all systems are automated then I'd let the game run all night and pass however many years to see how the world changes

You are now DUKE sodafountain!

So, they've finally arrived.....

I was always told bogeys only come in the winter so seeing them here in spring is an odd feeling.

Our lookout shows us they got humans and pumpkins amongst them too!
Everyone present has bows, staves and cudgels. Not a single gun between any of them, HA!

We send out our brave soldiers to meet them in the field

Right before the bogeys reach firing distance of us we hear gunshots going off left and right within the fortress! What is going on?
Our men have no time to find out as the bogeys charge forth and get blasted to pieces. The battle is quick and bloody with only two injuries. The bogeys each carried instruments on them and one was even a famous author!

While our boys finish off the stragglers we need to find out what happened inside.

A specter mercenary started shooting at pumpkins. He killed threw. Blew Zultan clean in half!
Must've been hired by the bogeys to start trouble at the same time. He and a bogey dancer were cornered by the new farmer militia. He was running and gunning at them until he ran into a wall and they finished it...

Two more villages founded nearby looking to us for protection. Great pumpkin spirit preserve us!

The strangelings don't like anything wood and sell weird magical wooden items...reminds me of those old legends of immortal creatures that looked like humans with pointy ears they did the exact same thing!

The bounty hunter tangled with a salamander in the cavern

The creature shook her to pieces and then bit her clean in half.
Bad luck that, but she left a journal behind that we plan to add to the library.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 05:21:46 am by Maloy »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4