Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Autumn Kingdom Spookycession fortress - overseers welcome  (Read 4708 times)

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:incessant muttering]
    • View Profile
Re: Autumn Kingdom Spookycession fortress - overseers welcome
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2023, 07:33:05 pm »

Well, this is a year of big changes for us pumpkins...

We had some complaints and grumblings from the pumpkin heads that we had drifted too far away from our roots. Living underground, building a fortress and becoming a forge-town, but that's the price of safety in these times! Whole world's gone mad!
Yes, the military was a necessity for our continued safety and totally not a good excuse for agoraphobic pumpkins to live underground forever. I'll begin my turn tomorrow, expect the end of my turn on the twenty-sixth.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Richard Stallman's Kind Communication Guidelines

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2023, 04:14:49 pm »

Right before the bogeys reach firing distance of us we hear gunshots going off left and right within the fortress! What is going on?
Our men have no time to find out as the bogeys charge forth and get blasted to pieces. The battle is quick and bloody with only two injuries. The bogeys each carried instruments on them and one was even a famous author!

epic fight! also that star-sapphire bound codex is amazing. it is just some bogey's story about his first few years as a bard. how vain

A specter mercenary started shooting at pumpkins. He killed threw. Blew Zultan clean in half!

foul allegiances, and betrayal! also holy shit RIP Zultan! the guns are powerful against pumpkinkind.

The strangelings don't like anything wood and sell weird magical wooden items...reminds me of those old legends of immortal creatures that looked like humans with pointy ears they did the exact same thing!

good to confirm this.

The creature shook her to pieces and then bit her clean in half.
Bad luck that, but she left a journal behind that we plan to add to the library.

this is the hope of many a pumpkin - to be forever remembered after death.

nice writeup. and well defended. the first siege is always a bit harrowing. looking forward to the next turn! how long can we keep this one going?

btw, if you tag images with a 'width' they won't explode the thread and will be visible regardless of screen size.

for example,

Code: [Select]
[img width=750]LINK TO YOUR IMAGE HERE[/img]

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2023, 05:27:14 am »

btw, if you tag images with a 'width' they won't explode the thread and will be visible regardless of screen size.

for example,

Code: [Select]
[img width=750]LINK TO YOUR IMAGE HERE[/img]

Heeeeyyyy I fixed it! Thanks for that! I really never have used forums like these until I got into dwarf fortress so any formatting quirks I basically just have to be told lol
You've saved many people a headache who want to read something I post!

Good luck Sodafountain! very hyped to see what you get up to!

Since bogeys don't use guns I feel like it is only use and specters that do. If we went to war with the specters that'd probably be brutal

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2023, 05:59:10 pm »

Save.

Unfortunately wasn't able to get much done, additionally this turn is without images. I'll include the notes from the beginning of my first turn to make up for the brevity.

1st Opal, 109
Edmikel Laterigon, Baroness Consort of Shadebolt visits our patch. She is enraptured by our manor overlooking the fields.

2nd Opal, 109
The miners have carved a heart opposite to the chosen location for my office. How wondrous! I shall keep it there.

3rd Opal, 109
The work on my office begins. I'll have it smoothed and decorated with carvings after it is hewn. The rocks are always more welcoming than those greens up above. It is so much quieter down here, it's easier to read. I'll stay down here for a while.

22nd Opal, 109
Lauloh Salinieard gave birth. How nice. I renamed her to something more fitting, as she was the first patriotic birth I'd seen.

Sometime in 110,
I designated a space for a guild of metalwork. I had it furnished with beautiful rock furniture and a forge, as well as individual chambers furnished with statues of the guild's symbol.

25 Felsite, 112
Work begins on expanding our vines beneath the ground. Beneath the grasses and soil, there is a reservoir of fire which will allow us to ignore our lack of suitable fuel for iron refining.

Under current plans, three individual garrisons hewn from rock will be manned by ten pumpkinheads at all times, as to prevent the undesirable creatures of the underwhere from penetrating our lovely surface. These garrisons will serve as centers of military training as well as soldier dormitories. More work must be done to see if we can get food to them automatically.

A peasant caught in the fields is sent to work in the mines. He wasn't assigned to anything else, and we've more work to do underground.

27 Felsite, 112
Nanazie Knesmandea is found dead.

He was found in the uppermost cavern layer. Assumed cause of death: run in with foul beast. This death only reaffirms my belief in the need for military forces guarding entrances and exits to the caverns. Imagine if what had killed Nanazie had broken into our fields? Our farmers would have died.

2 Hematite, 112
A catling thief invades. A squadron of miliary pumpkins is dispatched.

3rd Hematite, 112
After a protracted chase lasting well into the night, the Maroon Axes dispatch the nasty thing.

12 Hematite, 112
A caravan of humans arrives, bringing with them a diplomat. He held a meeting with nobody, instead hanging about in our tavern. Actually, does our mayor have an office to hold meetings in?

He doesn't. My head is too foggy currently to work on building one for him, and I doubt he'd be as satisfied with an underground one such as mine.

16th Hematite, 112
Boulderpleats has been conquered. The military campaigns of our other overseers work successfully, and I am happy to see a village remain no longer under the grips of Bogeys.

My celebration was cut short, however. The noise of my hearty friends and the damnable buzzing from the sun have given me a splitting headache, one that I nurse in the relative seclusion of my personal forge. I wish that the sun could warm me as it does my peers, but I suppose I shall take my heat from the fires of my forge. This buzzing in my head causes me to lose focus. It is untenable, though it quiets when I am underground. When we have an industry of metalwork setup above this great reservoir of fire, I'll have to move my offices down to there. The fresh air does not agree with me, and the gaze of my peers seems always to judge. I will pass the development of these systems elsewhere, to my compatriots.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2023, 06:55:11 pm »

a curious journal from a curious pumpkin, a pumpkin afraid of sunlight itself!

A catling thief invades. A squadron of military pumpkins is dispatched.

cat burglary. despicable.

seems like you've brought us up to speed with military quarters, very nice.

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2023, 08:15:41 pm »

seems like you've brought us up to speed with military quarters, very nice.
Of course. Expeditions to the undergourd should be taken incredibly seriously. Who knows what horrid creatures are festering under there.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2023, 03:11:51 pm »

We've got an incredible ending to our fortress coming up!
Posting tomorrow to play through Halloween if that is all good?

My goal is to hit nopause when done building and see the advanced world state after many years

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2023, 07:17:13 am »

looking forward to it. this mod was fun to experience. i feel like... we needed more uses for the giant horde of pumpkins we ended up raising.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2023, 10:33:32 am »

May this final log of mine be a testament...of my failures and of my attempts to make right.

In the summer of year 112 I worked hard alongside the militia commander and the legendary duke sodafountain to both orchestrate our military as well as grow more civil structures for comfort.

We built a massive outerwall along the north-eastern side where plant life had trouble growing. Here we can safely build the many surface wooden homes that we pumpkins need!

We lost Karm the folk hero who stopped the salamander. A bear was traveling the woods killing traveling specters left and right. Karm pinned it down until help could arrive, but it finished killing him before then.

Our raids continued apace without much trouble until one dark pit had a particularly cunning bogey commander. He chased off our gunners without killing any, but without losing any of his men either.

In response the commander himself departed with a squad of scythes and pitchforks! This is where it began...

The bogeys invaded a few days later. Over one hundred of them. The bogeys never wear armor and aren't nearly as well trained so I had our farmer militia and gunners line up for battle

We were all quite excited to get it over with and enjoy the latest batch of pumpkin cider...

Only...
They swarmed the line. Within moments all our troops were swamped under a mass of bogey bodies and we finally saw what their cudgels could do. Their weapons were hexed and when they finally did hit their mark it dealt devastating damage!

Half our military was gone immediately. We hurried to close the gate before the bogeys got in, and they were already so dreadfully close, but alas! No one had ever attached a lever to the gate! It couldn't be drawn!

They swarm through our gates killing. When will the other half of the military return? As it turns out we are caught in a glitch. One of the military members is in the hospital with a broken foot and they won't engage in their own battle until she arrives.

So the bogeys kill. Kill and kill and kill some more. Eventually they kill the girl with the broken foot and our forces return.
The bogeys are trapped in our fortress now, quickly routed and killed to the last.

And yet...Over 150 pumpkins have died... We have less than 30 members now including the returned military.
I have personally overseen the worst massacre in the history of our people. It is only by the kindness inherent in us pumpkins that I am not executed or exiled. I will likely go down in history with complete shame and loathing directed towards me for all time, but I must try to make things right.

The specters war effort goes well as shortly after the massacre they conquered a neighboring forest retreat and connect with us economically. Although few pumpkins remain we are inundated in swarms of visiting specters, humans and strangelings.
I accept every single one. Our food stores are massive and can handle two years of the visitors eating our food. We get to over 120 of us within the year from the massacre known as" The riddled Onslaught

It takes us five months to clear the bodies from the fortress, manor and battlefield outside. All day everyday we find and bury bodies. So much so that we lose two pumpkins more. Their minds snap, like a vine stretched too far, and they sit on the ground until they dehydrate to death. Then they too are carried away.

All bogeys and visitor are dumped in the massive pit in the caverns feeding whatever horrors live at it's bottom.

I also cannot sleep anymore. I go days without sleep and wait for my episodes of depression to make me rest.

It's been a year and we still find bodies, skulls and limbs randomly while working and walking the grounds.
The bogeys have advanced and taken one of the specter's fortresses. Hopefully a terrible mistake with them over-extending themselves, but I decided to make a hard decision.
Almost all our livestock died other than a few great pumpkins. We tamed the wild boars we had in cages and are now using them as pastured animals.

We locked the town up. Walled the front entrance up and waited.
Years passed, but we refused to open even as the liaison came.
Artists, scholars and mercenaries alike would camp in the forests around our town waiting to see if we would open up. We would not.
And just as war had darkened our carved smiles it had darkened the heart of the forest. Wild great pumpkins, bears and even a moose would wander the forests butchering the travelers who would remain for too long.

Both our town and the forest remained under the protection of the great pumpkin spirit, whose statue overlooked the entire region: Scythe in one hand and pitchfork in the other. All who camped near the town and those of us hiding within labored under it's great gaze.

And then as year 5 approached the liaison came again. Unable to get us to open he hurled a scroll over the walls. All it was a news update

The war rages on!
Specter Kingdom's invasion of strangeling forests yields new victories as many forests fall to them!
Bogeys and Specters trade blows hit for hit taking homes from one another!
Last human hold outs desperately hold back bogey onslaught!
Battle for pumpkinhead capital yields no fruit; Surrounding villages and towns left devastated!

The commander and I met briefly in the same room we used to meet Duke sodafountain years ago and discussed what, if anything, we should do.

Within year 5 of isolation our walls fell.

Within moments scores of specters, strangelings and humans ran out from the town fleeing into the forest.
After the dust settled one could hear the sounds of vine-filled boots marching: The pumpkins marched to bring fright to the lands. Scythes and pitchforks at the ready as the great spirit watched from above.
After they departed the shocked travelers camping the woods finally sprinted at full speed to see the town of legends, now open once more!

Our military devastated the rear line of the bogey offensive, but there was little we could do. The bogeys numbered many thousands with 4 different cities belong to them as well as the one they took from the specters.

Instead, once enough damage was down our forces departed for the first time to our long lost capital- held by the mad strangelings of the forests-

We offerred to them what had never been offered to us by either them or the bogeys: Mercy
The commander would bear all the fault for the invading armies many travesties and would be put to death. In exchange the Strangelings would be POW and treated respectfully.
They accepted.

The capital was reclaimed. The lands around it were nearly uninhabited now due to the invaders.

The war with the bogeys raged on and humanity was nearly wiped away, but pumpkins had the choice to return home and dig deep into the soil once more...

And our town...Our town closed it's walls once more to the world to wait for a better age. Yet, still the sounds of forging and farming continued unabated.
The legendary metal works of Sodafountain were sought after across the globe by those who sought to succeed him in his title.
It is debatable whether I made up for my failures in my peoples' eye holes, but I know I've done all I can now. I end my career here with no friends other than the few specters and batlings that didn't lose loved ones in the massacre.

Not the happiest ending, but happy! The world has certainly become quite frightful and so I think that is a win in and of itself!
If we decide we want to play this same save next year we could always advance the clock 30 years or something and play in this advanced world some more!

la-li-lo-le-lu was the only named survivor of the massacre. Almost everyone died. The ghosts almost wiped out the fort over the five years because pumpkin bodies rot before they can be buried and thus require a slab.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 10:42:22 am by Maloy »

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2023, 12:17:00 pm »

I will humbly request the save, even if you've already retired our great fortress. Especially if I'm still creating insane shit.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2023, 08:10:24 pm »

Got it! Here you go! Maybe if you decide to play some years on it and have an interesting time we could continue next year from where you leave off? Just an idea
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16900

also one more thing... you're already dead

Only 8 pumpkins survived the massacre and you weren't one of them. But you made tons of masterworks and you achieved the highest rank of nobility ever reached in our civilization so I just made up a ending where others would pursue your creations to follow in your footsteps

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2023, 01:51:51 am »

Well dang I missed the ending by a few days and I guess my guy dying isn't that big a deal when the next turn almost everyone else dies.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]