Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few procgen wild plants and mushrooms per region/site  (Read 411 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few procgen wild plants and mushrooms per region/site
« on: October 15, 2023, 04:00:36 pm »

I think it would be fun if there were a few unknown species of wild plants and mushrooms when you start at a new site which could use the herbalist skill to determine if they are good or bad to eat.  More skilled herbalists should be better of determining if they are dangerous and not pick them and bring them to the food stockpiles. Cooks and brewers should probably just assume if it's in the stockpile it's good to use. 

Random thoughts:

- Having a mix of edible and poisonous would help prevent players from knowing anything unknown is dangerous and just forbidding them. Serious effects like death should be rare for the same reason, negative effects should mostly be minor and temporary. Good effects shouldn't be so good as to have a major impact on the fortress (like everyone double speed forever because of 'juicy stinkcap wine').
- Preferably they have some kind of descriptive names which at least gives a good indication of what kind of thing it is- like 'nightmare berry', 'purple melon', 'sweet leaf', or 'warty cap'.
- Could have different effects if brewed, cooked or eaten raw. Poisonous raw could be edible when cooked for example.
- Negative effects: delirium, dizziness, nausea/vomiting, losing consciousness, terror/fear, rashes, organ damage, death
- Good effects: mood/speed boost, needing less food or sleep, euphoria
- Hidden effects, like deadly to elves but perfectly fine for dwarves, for the fun "why did the entire dance troop just drop dead in my tavern?" situations
- Dangerous foods more common in evil biomes, safe food more common in good biomes. Dangerous ones maybe more common in the deeper layers?
- Different plants/mushrooms found on the surface and the various cavern layers
- Potentially a good thought for something like trying new foods or being adventurous?
- Maybe foods with stranger/extreme effects (like curses or blessings) found in jeweled clusters? What do you do with that single 'shining apple'? Or does it attract monsters from the deep?
- Useful for poisons when those are a real part of the game
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 03:06:33 pm by Pillbo »

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUNS:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
Re: A few procgen wild plants and mushrooms per region/site
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2023, 12:13:05 am »

Procgen would add a hidden-fun-stuff aspect to botany, and I'm all for more fun surprises.
I'd also like to see crop identification be something that mods can play with, or define new syndromes and interactions to be pulled from.
Perhaps this mythgen-oriented arc might also add a little uncertainty to extant plants when extracting their essences - who knows what an alchemist could be doing with golden salve?
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
Mod releases

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 12:27:56 pm »

Procgen would add a hidden-fun-stuff aspect to botany, and I'm all for more fun surprises.
I'd also like to see crop identification be something that mods can play with, or define new syndromes and interactions to be pulled from.
Perhaps this mythgen-oriented arc might also add a little uncertainty to extant plants when extracting their essences - who knows what an alchemist could be doing with golden salve?
Dude, Kraken gets it.

So OP this may interest you. About a year ago, I came up with a 'Crop Mimic' prototype mod, which demonstrates a degree of support for ambiguous stockpiles of similarly named plants. Player feedback was almost universally negative, and no one actually tried it, I think. And this was for 47.05, since I didn't have a native Windows environment to work with premium in, which also likely drove down interest.

The consensus was: "We've learned how to not have to think about food, so why would we deliberately inconvience ourselves to bother sorting through all of our stockpiles?"

So I stopped working on it. You're welcome to download it, expand it, or make reccomendstions. I wouldn't mind going back to work on it.

Personally, I think it'd be neat to have to pull up a wilderness wiki online to help figure out if a nut or berry is edible (for whichever entity/race tou're playing as)

With graphics, it'd be easy to improve upon a number of the concepts. Like, you wouldn't have to force the player to scrutinize the text descriptions, they could just look at the plant's sprite artwork.

That said, it also makes it easier to visually distinguish plump helmets from the amanita muscaria berserker mushrooms, lol. Dwarves happen to have a peculiar response to these aminitas, which manifests in berserk rage 10% of the time, otherwise it justs make them confused, a little sick, and trip for a bit.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 05:44:10 pm »

We could reuse the code for forgotten beasts to generate plants.

Might be interesting to see additional crops, plants and trees being generated: there would be more randomness to worlds, especially if, for exemple, a very high yield crop is able to live in Arctic regions.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."