Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress brewing contest - ended  (Read 1588 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress brewing contest - ended
« on: October 28, 2023, 02:28:22 pm »

prepare to be judged

the task:

Over three in-game years, craft as many metal barrels as possible, and fill those barrels with booze. The player who presents the save file with the highest number of booze-filled metal barrels will be declared winner.

pretty dwarvenly, right?

the rules:

Players have until 11:59PM Sunday, November 19th to submit their saves.

1. you must use the embarks provided below
2. any metal will do, but the containers must be barrels. pots are NOT allowed.
3. any amount of booze in the barrel is valid. 1 unit or 20, the barrel is considered filled.
4. no cheating via speedhacks, spawning of materials, or other varieties of DFhackery. If you use a cleanup utility or other bug-prevention function, just announce this when you provide your save file.
5. savescumming is fine (but for your own sanity i wouldn't restart too much - it ruins the fun)
6. there is no need to arrange the barrels in stockpiles or anything fancy like that
7. you cannot abandon / reclaim the fortress

This contest will occur in both 47.05 and 50.11, so if you're unhappy with premium or still haven't purchased it, you may participate.

Players can attempt to win both contests if they have the spare time.

here is the embark for 47.05: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16899
 A volcanic peak, flanked by jungle forest. The ground is full of iron, but the area is savage and goblins are close.
here is the embark for 50.11: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16898
 A snow-covered forest gives way to a permafrost expanse. The ground is full of a variety of metal, but the area is savage and goblins are close.

After your turn is complete, submit the file to me via a DFFD link / personal message , and I will verify the score and confirm the winners. Players have until 11:59PM Sunday, November 19th to submit their saves.

per the wiki:

Each brewing job produces five units of alcohol per brewable item, and deposits the alcohol in the container, recovering any plant seeds in the process. The size of a stack does not affect how long it takes to brew it, which is based entirely on the brewer's skill...

please ask any questions that come to mind, as this may allow us to further define the rules

While this will be 'competitive' it is, obviously, still very casual and fun and I'm mostly interested in the sorts of strategies that develop.

Feel free to post here for notifications, or if you want to share strategies.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 08:36:50 pm by Salmeuk »

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Competition!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 10:47:01 pm »

Tentative interest, I've got a couple days off in the next two weeks; might be enough time to participate. I haven't used someone else's save/embark before though so I'll have to look up instructions for that if I do. xD (Though I do have a dffd account, I haven't used it for anything so far.)

*edit to add* I'm currently not looking to start using DFHack, so hopefully it (or other mods) aren't required. If they are, then maybe I'd just put myself in 'hard mode' and try it without.

*edit 2* For my own ref (and/or anyone else that wants it) - link to previous fort competition thread.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 10:58:55 am by BlueTrillium »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Competition!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 03:39:26 am »

so is the idea to do it in the minimum in game time or minimum irl time?
you can count me interested
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress brewing contest - embarks are live!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 08:02:06 am »

so is the idea to do it in the minimum in game time or minimum irl time?
you can count me interested

OP has been updated with details. get brewin' !

if you are playing or planning to play, make a post, let us know.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 12:13:13 am »

PTW
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Wolfkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 12:29:43 am »

This contest will occur in both 47.05 and 50.11, so if you're unhappy with premium or still haven't purchased it, you may participate.
There is a free version of 50.11 on https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ (without the new graphics or music)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 10:17:20 am »

Nice! Forgot that was made available.

*edit 2* For my own ref (and/or anyone else that wants it) - link to previous fort competition thread.

thanks for posting this. I was kinda too lazy to dig up the link but it might be useful for other's reference.

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 09:28:58 pm »

You're welcome! OOoh, I'm a couple days behind. Ah well I couldn't have done anything yesterday anyhow. Snowy fortress/permafrost, huh? That'll be definitely something new to me! I've only done warmer climes so far. I'll take a look. xD

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 09:59:11 am »

You're welcome! OOoh, I'm a couple days behind. Ah well I couldn't have done anything yesterday anyhow. Snowy fortress/permafrost, huh? That'll be definitely something new to me! I've only done warmer climes so far. I'll take a look. xD

when I started my run, i had a yeti spawn in! 411 years old.

after about a year, my only advice is to focus on seed production early. seems like that is one of the larger bottlenecks for this kind of thing. three years is quite the timecrunch for setting up multiple industries (metalcrafting, farming/brewing). especially if you go for magma like I did

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2023, 11:02:36 pm »

I haven't even unpaused yet lol. xD I feel self-conscious that someone else will actually see my fort for once so I'm actually trying to plan things out first so they look nicer than my usual mishmash of cubes. And I am also like AHHHH WHERE WATER lol. (Guess we'll find out if there's an aquifer, or if I need to go to caverns, etc). I did note the bituminous coal exposed along the northern ramp/cliffs for when I actually start moving! xD I am... unlikely to go all the way to magma (at least in time for this round anyway) but we'll see.

*edit* Uh. Oh dear. xDD Well !FUN! with water was had. That is... one HECK of an aquifer lol.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 09:07:33 pm by BlueTrillium »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2023, 04:38:20 pm »

Count this as my signup post.. when i get home i'm going to give it a go
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2023, 05:29:35 am »

jesus christ there are already yetis roaming on the start of the 50.11 save

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2023, 12:11:47 pm »

hehehe

so I've finished and scored my 50.11 attempt. I might try 47.05 as well.

biggest advice is: farm for seeds early, but even more importantly, make sure you make trade goods or fortress wealth in the first year. if you don't, migrants wont arrive, and this really bottlenecked me during the second year.

i ended up spamming gem windows and this was effective.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2023, 02:13:55 am »

so is the idea that we won't reveal our scores until the deadline? I'm still only in year 2... any advice for how to count the barrels? i can see how many barrels i have, and how many drinks I have but theres nowhere that lists both is there (in 50.11)?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2023, 06:18:28 am »

OH DEAR
Pages: [1] 2