Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41

Author Topic: Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread  (Read 29794 times)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread
« on: December 01, 2023, 12:32:19 am »

Israel announces resumption of combat in Gaza Strip as truce with Hamas expires
blaming the militant group for breaking the cease-fire.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 01:51:55 am »

We need a general thread to discuss wars...

The truce ended predictably. Israel traded the lives of their children (and some elderly) for the lives of their soldiers, giving the enemy a week to recover and prepare for the next stage of war.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 03:31:21 am »

Are you thinking there's gonna be enough wars going on to need a general war thread?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 04:58:01 am »

Are you thinking there's gonna be enough wars going on to need a general war thread?

Maybe we can invoke Murphey's Law, and by creating such a thread, there won't be.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 05:06:42 am »

I mean, we maybe we can use it to discuss past or theoretical wars in peacetime.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 06:24:43 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ongoing_armed_conflicts

We have enough wars. Do we have enough "interesting enough" wars is another question.

Note that there is a non-zero chance of a Venezuelan-Brazilian  war starting on Sunday
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 02:16:13 pm »

so make another thread for the brazilian/venezuelan war or whichever war of your choice

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 12:02:40 am »

Sorry for disrupting a very active discussion with my offtopic...

Unfortunately, there is nothing to discuss in this sad little war. The mere fact that the truce ended when the hostage list reached young women terrifies me, not make me want to discuss it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2023, 01:23:11 am »

I've got a bad feeling that most of the hostages are dead already and that's part of the reason they broke the ceasefire.

Note that there is a non-zero chance of a Venezuelan-Brazilian  war starting on Sunday
What's going on there to make you think that?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2023, 06:00:17 am »

What's going on there to make you think that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Guayana_Esequiba_crisis

I've got a bad feeling that most of the hostages are dead already and that's part of the reason they broke the ceasefire.
Especially those who were kidnapped not by relatively disciplined HAMAS but by minor factions or even individuals

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2023, 03:22:25 pm »

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/09/1211571220/israel-gaza-damage-map-satellite-imagery

Half of all buildings in the north destroyed, many more in the south.

How anyone can think Israel is carefully taking out terrorists is beyond me...

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2023, 03:51:52 pm »

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/09/1211571220/israel-gaza-damage-map-satellite-imagery

Half of all buildings in the north destroyed, many more in the south.

How anyone can think Israel is carefully taking out terrorists is beyond me...

This is not an anti-terrorist operation aimed to take out dozens or hundreds of terrorists. It is an advance into an urban environment riddled with tunnels defended by several divisions worth of well-trained, well-equipped, well-supplied, highly-motivated infantry. Expecting that a city won't be severely damaged in this kind of advance is... hopeful.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2023, 06:30:41 pm »

Strange then, if the IDF, one of the most capable militaries in the world, is somehow facing such a dire existential threat from some massive, well-equipped and resourceful opponent based out of a tiny impoverished strip that's been under blockade for 17 years and that this sort of bombing is necessary to dislodge them, that we see so few of these terrorists being killed, and so many disfigured children and annihilated families?

Why doesn't Israel release numbers of how many Hamas members it has killed? I literally saw an interview with an Israeli official casting doubt on the official Gazan death numbers because they don't say how many of those dead are combatants. Why the fuck don't YOU tell us then, official, how many are combatants? Why so silent? Do you even know? Shouldn't you have a pretty fucking crystal clear idea who you're targeting before you start carpet bombing?

Maybe because if they gave any sort of remotely accurate number, it'd become clear how the main thrust of this bombing has very little to do with "eliminating terror" and a lot more to do with ethnic cleansing? Do you seriously believe that HALF of all residential buildings in Gaza are terrorist bases? I'm sorry, but if you look at the satellite images of Gaza and conclude that somehow Israel is not bombing indiscriminately, you are not just mistaken but actively detached from reality.

The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2023, 06:50:52 pm »

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/30/world/middleeast/israel-hamas-attack-intelligence.html
Israeli officials obtained Hamas’s battle plan for the Oct. 7 terrorist attack more than a year before it happened, documents, emails and interviews show. But Israeli military and intelligence officials dismissed the plan as aspirational, considering it too difficult for Hamas to carry out.

The approximately 40-page document, which the Israeli authorities code-named “Jericho Wall,” outlined, point by point, exactly the kind of devastating invasion that led to the deaths of about 1,200 people.
Turns out that Isreal knew about the attack being planned for a whole year but were too idiotic to actually believe it was possible so they just ignored it.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2023, 07:06:01 pm »

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/30/world/middleeast/israel-hamas-attack-intelligence.html
Israeli officials obtained Hamas’s battle plan for the Oct. 7 terrorist attack more than a year before it happened, documents, emails and interviews show. But Israeli military and intelligence officials dismissed the plan as aspirational, considering it too difficult for Hamas to carry out.

The approximately 40-page document, which the Israeli authorities code-named “Jericho Wall,” outlined, point by point, exactly the kind of devastating invasion that led to the deaths of about 1,200 people.
Turns out that Isreal knew about the attack being planned for a whole year but were too idiotic to actually believe it was possible so they just ignored it.

As time goes on and more is revealed it seems more and more likely Bibi deliberately allowed the attack to happen to facilitate his other goals. I mean, put yourself in Bibi's position. Bibi just received this report. Bibi was deeply unpopular with his people. Bibi was under investigation for corruption. Bibi knows what kind of a boost wartime leaders usually get. And Bibi has no limits or qualms to what he would do to stay in power. Imagine how easy it would be for this report to just slip off the table, saying it's not feasible. So simple.

Honestly, why wouldn't he do it?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 07:07:53 pm by bloop_bleep »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41