Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 41

Author Topic: Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread  (Read 30951 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread
« Reply #495 on: March 20, 2024, 02:13:21 pm »

Not entirely sure what point you're making. Whose campaign by who?

Are you supporting or arguing with Bumber's original "The X and Y-axes are linear, so they didn't do anything weird there.", etc?

(Everyone tends to use advantageous representations of data, and challenge everyone else's representations of data for doing the same things they do.)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 20, 2024, 03:53:07 pm »

I was making a half-joke, it's probably not literally an intentional campaign by anyone in particular. If I had to blame anyone in particular, though, xkcd would be right up against the wall, making people dumber mondays, wednesdays, and fridays. Or whatever the schedule is.

Everyone tends to use advantageous representations of data,
That's called "effective communication".

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 20, 2024, 06:16:54 pm »

Everyone tends to use advantageous representations of data,
That's called "effective communication".
Malcolm Tucker would call it that, certainly.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 21, 2024, 05:21:40 am »

Looking at the new graph, you can see that the decision of the (...briefly checks link...) March 7th article to highlight a two week period of data originating from nigh-on half a year ago was clearly being selective for a 'notable' artefact, as I thought. All else aside (yes, the new graph quotes various missing/vague periods[1], but need not be exhaustive of all passing issues), that doesn't look like a particularly manipulated set of data anywhere like the original complaint alleged (and carefully contrived its window on the data to 'prove').

An artifact notable for looking suspicious. Just as good data might look manipulated if you zoom in, bad data won't look as manipulated if you add good data and zoom out. We can't know if that trend was going to continue past two weeks, unfortunately, because some people went and stopped dying.

At the end of the day, you wouldn't trust casualty numbers coming from the IDF no matter how good the graph looks, and I'm actually not going to put much faith in numbers from either side. (Just based on that there's a war, before even considering the hospital rocket incident.)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 05:36:41 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 22, 2024, 04:16:11 am »

And now I would like to interrupt this debate with some actual news!

US calls for vote Friday on UN resolution declaring that immediate Gaza cease-fire is `imperative’

Now to see if the Americans stick to their guns, or reverse position again.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 22, 2024, 08:46:56 am »

And now I would like to interrupt this debate with some actual news!

US calls for vote Friday on UN resolution declaring that immediate Gaza cease-fire is `imperative’

Now to see if the Americans stick to their guns, or reverse position again.

In before someone will veto this because they dislike a word or two in the American proposal.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 22, 2024, 12:19:24 pm »

Surprising no one.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 23, 2024, 02:23:54 am »

I still don't get why Russia can veto things after all the stuff they've done in Ukraine.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 23, 2024, 02:35:52 am »

Because the whole point of the UN, the thing that got the major world powers to actually join it and meant it actually had any real influence, is that they had a veto and it couldn't be used as a weapon against them.
So even if they are evil shits (see: tons of shit China has done, tons of shit the USA has done, ect) they still get to keep their veto power.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 23, 2024, 06:07:48 am »

And nobody else gets veto power, even if they're much more powerful than when the UN was formed.

For example, France will always have a Veto, but India never will.

More importantly, no African or South American power will ever get to Veto the traditional power brokers. And Japan never gets a Veto, even though they're usually the world's second largest economy.

Eventually, countries that have more power outside the UN will drift out of it, but it will probably hold for most of my lifetime.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 23, 2024, 07:08:16 am »

How come a veto can't be used to cancel a veto?  Like in some games, where you can cancel a cancel?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 23, 2024, 08:16:39 am »

How come a veto can't be used to cancel a veto?  Like in some games, where you can cancel a cancel?
https://xkcd.com/1086/ ?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 23, 2024, 09:55:00 am »

I wonder why the UN\world media are not saying that yesterday's terror attacks in Moscow "didn't happen in a vacuum" hinting at all the crap Russia did against Muslims of the world in Syria and other places. 

Just a random unrelated thought...
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 23, 2024, 12:06:19 pm »

"Let he who has not built a glass house upon the sandy ground cast the first cheek...", or somesuch, I would suggest.

Whether or not it's strictly true, there's also not much of that kind of vacuum in the rest of the non-Muslim world's dealings with the Muslim world. Can you imagine the US getting so solidly upon such a high horse? It'll be a low pony, at best.

(And regular 'Green on Green' emnities between those that consder each other the equivalent of 'D'rkza' probably doesn't help, either, regardless of any direct sympathies with/sponsorship of the ones who did it.)

Diplomatic language probably tries to shy away from outright saying "I told you so", "you should have known it woud happen" and, "you had it coming to you", if only because it might well turn right back round into schadenfreude on the nation of the speaker within the next week. Undiplomatic language, perhaps does not. And more frank and/or heartfelt behind the scenes talking might be saying anything. (And, given the breadth of world media, aligned every which way, I'm sure there's also opinions of all kinds, out there - it's just a matter of finding the 'right' outlet, in amongst all the other variations of reaction.)
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 41