Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41

Author Topic: Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread  (Read 29773 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread
« Reply #510 on: March 23, 2024, 08:34:51 pm »

Hm, I guess the ISIS attack on Russia could be interpreted as retaliation for their veto of the UN proposal for a ceasefire...

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 24, 2024, 04:50:25 am »

It's not. ISIS hates Palestine, Israel, and everybody else.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 24, 2024, 06:12:57 am »

For those saying the food situation is OK and acceptable in Gaza and "not real starvation like elsewhere":

Four out of five starving people in the world are in Gaza -- World Food Program.

The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 24, 2024, 07:39:13 am »

For those saying the food situation is OK and acceptable in Gaza and "not real starvation like elsewhere":

Four out of five starving people in the world are in Gaza -- World Food Program.

1) Giving paywalled links instead of links to the source (WFP) is wrong. All it gives me to read is the date and the author.

2) The article is from January 3. If there was a famine then, we wouldn't see nice and shiny photos of thousands of malnourished/dead people now.

3) https://www.wfp.org/news/world-wealth-9-million-people-die-every-year-hunger-wfp-chief-tells-food-system-summit 

Either humanity somehow fixed its starvation issues since 2021 or we have several more times starved to death people in Gaza than their total population (if we define starvation more liberally than starved to death then 4 in 5 will sound even more absurd. Hundreds of millions have no enough food)

4) The closest to the January report on Gaza from WFP I found is this -  https://www.wfp.org/news/gaza-grapples-catastrophic-hunger-new-report-predicts-famine-if-conflict-continues

Just like in their recent articles (and ones from the first days of the war), they write there is a huge risk of starvation coming in the future.
I failed to find any WFP source that claims this beautifully absurd 4 in 5, if you can link me to it, I will gladly read it.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 24, 2024, 09:58:41 am »

The source is in the article itself. I did not see it was paywalled on my end.

Quote from: Arif Husain, chief economist for WFP
If you look globally, worldwide, right now, there are about a hundred and twenty-nine thousand people who are in I.P.C. Phase 5, meaning a catastrophic type of hunger. A hundred and twenty-nine thousand. In Gaza, there are five hundred and seventy-seven thousand. If you add these two numbers together, you can say that you have about seven hundred thousand people in the world who are in I.P.C. Phase 5, of which five hundred and seventy-seven thousand are in Gaza. That means that eighty per cent of the people, or four out of five people, in famine or a catastrophic type of hunger are in Gaza right now.

EDIT: You can also go ahead and look at their results by country, including Yemen and Sudan.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 10:08:37 am by bloop_bleep »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 24, 2024, 11:04:13 am »

Yeah, followed the IPC link. They do say famine is imminent. Like they did before. Maybe it is indeed imminent but it is not the same as famine now. But I have been hearing about imminent famine since October 8

Also, opening the Yemeni map, the vast chunk of Houthi-controlled territory is "Areas not analyzed". Marvelous. If you exclude such areas of the world, statistics will behave in interesting ways.

But it is not important, just nitpicking. The most important part is that the phrase "Four out of five starving people in the world are in Gaza -- World Food Program." is a lie.  It is "4 out of 5 people living in a phase 5 food crisis areas are in Gaza", a phrase with a very different meaning.

People do suffer from starvation and even starve to death in areas of phases 4, 3, 2, 1

It is how propaganda works. No, 80% of the world's starving people are not living (dying) in Gaza. Way too many people suffer all over the world and don't get even a fraction of the attention. Diminishing the sufferings of millions of people to push your political agenda with half-truth manipulative propaganda is, frankly speaking, disgusting.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 24, 2024, 02:09:44 pm »

I’m not sure we should be taking lectures about morality from someone who has spent quite a long time diminishing the suffering of millions in Gaza because a fraction of them are terrorists or some have posted videos and pictures complaining about MREs.

Edit: better yet, when you were advocating for war crimes:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 02:26:34 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 24, 2024, 05:33:56 pm »

Protip: When gaslighting, don't include exact words and context.

A lot of Geneva Convention stuff makes sense ONLY if both sides follow it.
This war would be less horrible if both sides agreed to not do this (and it is what Geneva and other conventions are all about) but they don't.

Calling for a level playing field on something you've called horrible isn't advocation. It's just pragmatic.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 06:05:38 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 24, 2024, 07:14:27 pm »

Yeah, I can repeat. If one side gives no Fs about arbitrary rules in a war but you follow each and every one - then you are not a good guy. You are a moron not deserving survival.

It doesn't mean that rape, genocide, torture and so on are fine, just as I said in the quoted post.

The stuff of me treating groups as groups is so old that I don't even want to repeat it all. A group, Gazans, did a horrible act of barbarity and now they face the consequences of the war they called on themselves. It is how groups and being a part of the group works. I have a small chance of getting Russian missile hitting my head in few minutes, in part,  because of collective actions and decisions done by all Ukrainians (of which I am damn proud).

Note that Gazans are also proud of the October 7th attack (and decades of terrorist attacks on random civilians), you can't be proud of something your people did and claim no responsibility for it.

And yes, happy well-fed faces of people who complain about the low quality of MRE from people while claiming famine are annoying and disgusting. My nation has a history of a horrible man-made famine and this is a sensitive topic for me. My grandmother would kick my ass for throwing away anything remotely edible because she survived a real famine, people who knew hunger treat food in a rather special way.

And you know the main thing? My moral code may be disgusting and wrong but it has something yours lack - It is consistent. I judge all people of all ideologies by the same damned metric.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 24, 2024, 08:19:12 pm »

Protip: When gaslighting, don't include exact words and context.

A lot of Geneva Convention stuff makes sense ONLY if both sides follow it.
This war would be less horrible if both sides agreed to not do this (and it is what Geneva and other conventions are all about) but they don't.

Calling for a level playing field on something you've called horrible isn't advocation. It's just pragmatic.

In order to fight a monster you have to become a monster, amirite?

gaslight
2 of 2
verb
gaslighted or gaslit; gaslighting; gaslights
transitive verb
: to psychologically manipulate (a person) usually over an extended period of time so that the victim questions the validity of their own thoughts, perception of reality, or memories and experiences confusion, loss of confidence and self-esteem, and doubts concerning their own emotional or mental stability : to subject (someone) to gaslighting

I like how you provided an example of gaslighting by gaslighting me in your remonstration.

If we must engage in some light textual analysis to clarify what was an obvious point:

The first paragraph sets out a premise - war crime laws only really work if both sides follow them - followed by an example in the Russia-Ukraine war of such and the assertion that demanding one side avoid committing war crimes when the other side continue committing them is unrealistic. The third paragraph is the conclusion to this line of thought, Strongpoint getting frustrated that Israel is getting maligned for acting like the terrorists they’re fighting.

One might consider lowering yourself to the level of terrorists is not a wise move, and considering that Israel have managed to alienate their staunchest allies to the point they’re introducing UN resolutions for an immediate, if caveated, ceasefire, after fewer than six months of conflict, it looks like I’m not the only one that thinks that.

The last two paragraphs clarify his position further. The fourth paragraph is an addendum to the previous commentar, suggesting that there are war crimes you can’t justify - again, implying there are those you can justify, if the most pressing of which is “they did it first!” which is an argument that never got my parents or teachers onside as a justification when I was a child - concluding in the final paragraph that committing war crimes is okay if your intent is to win and not be senselessly cruel - implying there is a level of cruelty that exists that is sensible and thus acceptable.

PPE:
Yeah, I can repeat. If one side gives no Fs about arbitrary rules in a war but you follow each and every one - then you are not a good guy. You are a moron not deserving survival.

It doesn't mean that rape, genocide, torture and so on are fine, just as I said in the quoted post.

The stuff of me treating groups as groups is so old that I don't even want to repeat it all. A group, Gazans, did a horrible act of barbarity and now they face the consequences of the war they called on themselves. It is how groups and being a part of the group works. I have a small chance of getting Russian missile hitting my head in few minutes, in part,  because of collective actions and decisions done by all Ukrainians (of which I am damn proud).

Note that Gazans are also proud of the October 7th attack (and decades of terrorist attacks on random civilians), you can't be proud of something your people did and claim no responsibility for it.

And yes, happy well-fed faces of people who complain about the low quality of MRE from people while claiming famine are annoying and disgusting. My nation has a history of a horrible man-made famine and this is a sensitive topic for me. My grandmother would kick my ass for throwing away anything remotely edible because she survived a real famine, people who knew hunger treat food in a rather special way.

And you know the main thing? My moral code may be disgusting and wrong but it has something yours lack - It is consistent. I judge all people of all ideologies by the same damned metric.

You’re still too cowardly to call me an anti-Semite though ;) mostly because you know I don’t rail against what Israel is doing because they (some of them) are Jewish, it’s because Israelis committing war crimes is disgusting. What Hamas did (and want) is disgusting. Russians and Ukrainians that commit war crimes are disgusting. It applies to everyone. Just because I don’t highlight it does not mean my opinion will change because of the colour of their skin or the title of their religious book.

What you don’t understand is nuance. My criticism of one side does not mean I support the other side, whether wholeheartedly, half-heartedly, or a teeny tiny bawhair, and it does not mean I don’t support the side I’m criticizing. It’s utterly moronic that you have thought this the entire time we’ve been posting here  to the point you think I’m anti-Semitic.

You’ve complained about sociology being posted that provides evidence against your position, but you’ve clung to the one piece of sociology that does support your side. Ridiculous.

Your family and national history also doesn’t make you an expert on famine, sensitive topic or not. Criticizing hungry Gazans or the people highlighting them because they’re not hungry enough is a ridiculous take, just like it would be ridiculous if I highlighted my family history to support any position or argument I have.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 24, 2024, 09:49:12 pm »

What you don’t understand is nuance. My criticism of one side does not mean I support the other side, whether wholeheartedly, half-heartedly, or a teeny tiny bawhair, and it does not mean I don’t support the side I’m criticizing. It’s utterly moronic that you have thought this the entire time we’ve been posting here  to the point you think I’m anti-Semitic.

When criticism of side A in a conflict is disproportional to criticism of side B, it does mean that you are on side B and anti-side A.

Also, If I would say something like "I do not condone the ISIS attack on the Moscow Concert Hall, BUT, you know, Russia has been colonizing Muslim lands for centuries, murdered scores of Muslims in Syria, kills Russian Muslim by disproportionally mobilizing them to war, is largely xenophobic to... yada, yada, yada" I would, in fact, condone the attack on that Concert Hall with the brutal murder of random civilians.

Despite all my "love" towards Russians and my high tolerance for various tactics of violent resistance, It would be hypocritical and against the very basics of my morality. Note that the analogy is imperfect because most Muslims of Russia see this attack as a disgusting act of barbarity, while (pro-)Palestinians have somewhat different opinions on the October 7 (and similar, smaller-scale acts) while claiming the moral high ground.

PS. Good job calling Ukrainian soldiers who defend their land with effective tactics disgusting just because they don't follow some minor rules of the Geneva Conventions which are completely ignored by Russia. They dare to wage war how people waged those wars for centuries.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 11:16:22 pm by Strongpoint »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 25, 2024, 12:17:59 am »

The fourth paragraph is an addendum to the previous commentar, suggesting that there are war crimes you can’t justify - again, implying there are those you can justify, if the most pressing of which is “they did it first!”

Helping win the war was the justification given. (Considering the cost of losing to an opponent who has already started from a position of committing war crimes, to say nothing of crimes against humanity.) Targeting medics is banned because it increases the casualties of war disproportionate to its benefit (i.e., the number of wounded that will return to battle.) However, if the other side has decided to kill your medics and inflict maximum casualties? Then they should absolutely not be afforded any such courtesy, and their medics are fair game. Reducing one side's casualties at the expense of the other is a farce.

Maybe a parent or teacher will stop the mean Russians by putting them in a time-out? Just don't kill their medics as they continue to kill yours! That's as bad and senseless as Russia's targeting of schools! Bad Ukraine! Don't sink to Russia's level!

(And as to Israel, there's a clear distinction between bombing an area after attempting to warn the residents, versus firing rockets off randomly without any care as to where they're going to come down.)

I like how you provided an example of gaslighting by gaslighting me in your remonstration.

Not really. Nothing in the full Strongpoint quote demonstrates an advocation of war crimes as you claimed. There's a claim of effectiveness. (Doesn't say this overrides morality or makes it legitimate warfare.) There's an acknowledgement that it makes war more horrible. (The exact opposite of an advocation.) There's an argument that one side doing it disadvantages the side playing fair. (Here's the argument of justification, after war crimes are already being committed asymmetrically.) There's an expression of annoyance that Israel is villainized for engaging in that symmetry.

You could say he's advocating war crimes as a response to someone who's already committing war crimes. That would be a bit more nuanced than what you claimed, in the same way that advocating for self-defense is more nuanced than advocating for legalizing homicide.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 01:29:34 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 25, 2024, 01:29:52 am »

When criticism of side A in a conflict is disproportional to criticism of side B, it does mean that you are on side B and anti-side A.

In what way is it disproportional? I have said Hamas are terrorists. That says… well, everything, right? They’re terrorists. Heck, an Israeli actually has to do something bad for me to think they need to be punished or investigated or whatever, just being a member of Hamas should be grounds for being locked up while they find something (genuine) to pin on you, and if they can’t, keep eyeballs on you at all fucking times.

Like, we had that discussion a while back in which I was solidly against violent protest - of which I would suggest terrorism is a pretty extreme form - in pretty much every instance, so why you think that I would support anybody who uses violence to achieve their aims is genuinely baffling to me.

You’ll probably ignore that again because you can’t look beyond the following though:

Also, If I would say something like "I do not condone the ISIS attack on the Moscow Concert Hall, BUT, you know, Russia has been colonizing Muslim lands for centuries, murdered scores of Muslims in Syria, kills Russian Muslim by disproportionally mobilizing them to war, is largely xenophobic to... yada, yada, yada" I would, in fact, condone the attack on that Concert Hall with the brutal murder of random civilians.

Can I count that as the fourth time, by my reckoning, that you can’t bring yourself to call me an anti-Semite, preferring suggestion and innuendo like you’re some bizarro political Carry On film? If only you were so coy about the rest of the shite you spout.

Unless this is a passive-aggressive thing? You claim that’s not what you were saying even though it’s pretty clear that’s what you were referencing? ‘cause that… well I’d personally find it really funny that you’d resort to such childish emotional maneuvering. You’re a man of contrasts and it’s banana to me you can on the one hand solidly claim you’re cool with Ukrainians committing war crimes (so long as Russia does them too) but you can’t say what you think of me on the other hand. Get off my hand you fat fuck, would suffice.

See, you get all bent out of shape about me being pedantic about the language you use and then get pedantic about the language I used six months ago, despite the fact there have been multiple posts since then in which I have clearly condemned Hamas and what they stand for, including in the post you’re quoting from and responding to.

Then I’m the one that gets accused of gaslighting? Bumber needs to go back to meme school.

Despite all my "love" towards Russians and my high tolerance for various tactics of violent resistance, It would be hypocritical and against the very basics of my morality. Note that the analogy is imperfect because most Muslims of Russia see this attack as a disgusting act of barbarity, while (pro-)Palestinians have somewhat different opinions on the October 7 (and similar, smaller-scale acts) while claiming the moral high ground.

PS. Good job calling Ukrainian soldiers who defend their land with effective tactics disgusting just because they don't follow some minor rules of the Geneva Conventions which are completely ignored by Russia. They dare to wage war how people waged those wars for centuries.

The hypocrisy gets a little boring at times, too.

Take this famine nonsense you’ve been harping on about for the last little while. You get all bent out of shape that folk are saying famine is coming to Gaza, then when bloop_bleep links to supporting evidence from an organization whose raison d'etre is eliminating hunger that 80% of the people they know about that are suffering the worst levels of hunger are in Gaza, you basically say “well people die at all five levels why are you focusing on just the worst one?” and then claim that you’re morals are consistent.

Like, you’ve said there’s no food insecurity in Gaza (except in a few places) because some people have posted things complaining about MREs so they can’t possibly be at level 5 on the IFP scale is a thought that exists simultaneously with the thought that people alao die of starvation at levels 1-4 so they should focus on that too… when the IFP have also said 100% of people in Gaza are at level 3 on that scale.

It’s an impressive degree of congnitive dissonance, I’ll give you that.

And yeah, Ukrainians committing war crimes should be punished. That… really isn’t a controversial position, surely? It should certainly be investigated. Maybe they’d get off. Probably not a good idea to use the “but they started it” defense though.

PPE oh it’s the worst tag team since Strike Force, goddamn.

The fourth paragraph is an addendum to the previous commentar, suggesting that there are war crimes you can’t justify - again, implying there are those you can justify, if the most pressing of which is “they did it first!”

Helping win the war is a justification, considering the cost of losing. Targeting medics is banned because it increases the casualties of war disproportionate to its benefit (i.e., the number of wounded that will return to battle.) However, if the other side has decided to kill your medics and inflict maximum casualties? Then they should absolutely not be afforded any such courtesy. Reducing one side's casualties at the expense of the other is a farce.

No, targeting medics is verboten because they’re non-combatants, as likely are the wounded (or dead) they are transporting.

“Helping win the war” as a justification is… kinda bullshit though. Russia bombing cities because there are men there who might join the army or resist an occupation is acceptabke with that justification. Russia bombing civilian infrastructure during Winter is justifiable because it will sap the morale of the civilian populace, eventually resulting in pressure on the civilian government to end the war. Russia abducting Ukrainian children and adopting them out to patriotic Russian families and presumably brainwashing them in school will help win the war by doing the same, and they won’t have to worry about them growing up to be resisting their rule because presumably when Russia entered the war they thought they’d probably win.

Where do you draw the line with “helping win the war”?

It’s almost as though the Geneva Convention and its like were brought to bear in order to prevent the victor of every war essentially being decided in a race to the bottom to see which side can out atrocity the other(s).

Maybe a parent or teacher will stop the mean Russians by putting them in a time-out? Just don't shoot their medics! That's as bad as Russia's targeting of schools!

I don’t think I equated them? I mean sure they’d both be branded war criminals, but Stephen Bradbury is a gold medal Olympian, not really on the same level as… pfft, let’s say Michael Phelps, is he?

(And as to Israel, there's a clear distinction between bombing an area after attempting to warn the residents, versus firing rockets off randomly without any care as to where they're going to come down.)

Ah, did they give the same warning to the three Israeli hostages they shot, who they were there ostensibly to rescue? You know, the ones that came out shirtless with a white flag (surely I don’t have to remind you what the international symbol of surrender is?) with Hebrew writing on it while also shouting in Hebrew? Avoiding shit like this is why things like perfidy and not shooting on medics are war crimes.

Yeah, Hamas are terrorists. Why the fuck you would accept as reasonable anybody lowering themselves to that standard is genuinely beyond me. Do you think the hostages would have been shot - recalling that the third one was killed after surviving the first barrage - had Israel elevated themselves above acting like actual terrorists? If the political and/or military leadership had actually stepped up and instilled a little discipline for any of the other, lesser infractions prior to that, do you think the hostages would have been shot?

Like, literally all Israeli forces had to do to maintain global support is not be like Hamas, and they failed. There were reports of IDF members sexually abusing women and girls, IDF forces abducting and torturing medics after clearing hospitals, the fiasco with the aid in northern Gaza not that long ago.

Even Chuck Schumer - who has been a staunch ally to Israel in US politics for longer than I have existed on this earth - has spoken out against it. It is absolutely stunning how badly they’ve fucked this up.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 25, 2024, 01:58:18 am »

No, targeting medics is verboten because they’re non-combatants, as likely are the wounded (or dead) they are transporting.

Yet both were deployed into a war zone to assist the war effort. They aren't strictly civilians, being in uniform. They're even given weapons that, if wielded, removes their protected status.

Where do you draw the line with “helping win the war”?

The Geneva Convention is a good guideline. However, if you're shooting at medics, your side clearly doesn't draw the line there. Why would your own medics be different? You're sending them into combat while loudly proclaiming that medics are to be shot. It's understood that your medics are effectively considered soldiers.

Certain lines tend to be a bit more obvious. Mistreating POWs actually does the opposite of helping you win, for example. Not only were they already out of the fight and useful as a bargaining chip; now your enemy is less likely to surrender.

Crimes against humanity is a very clear distinction. The Geneva Convention already separates these above war crimes.

It’s almost as though the Geneva Convention and its like were brought to bear in order to prevent the victor of every war essentially being decided in a race to the bottom to see which side can out atrocity the other(s).

Written by the victors, of course, who were willing to engage in much of the same until the war ended in their favor.

I don’t think I equated them? I mean sure they’d both be branded war criminals, but Stephen Bradbury is a gold medal Olympian, not really on the same level as… pfft, let’s say Michael Phelps, is he?

And some war crimes are more justifiable than others. (Provided the Rubicon has been crossed, they're still crimes, etc.)

Ah, did they give the same warning to the three Israeli hostages they shot, who they were there ostensibly to rescue? You know, the ones that came out shirtless with a white flag (surely I don’t have to remind you what the international symbol of surrender is?) with Hebrew writing on it while also shouting in Hebrew? Avoiding shit like this is why things like perfidy and not shooting on medics are war crimes.

Is that Israel's policy towards hostages, or did a group of IDF soldiers get trigger happy after Hamas kept using recordings of hostages to do that perfidy thing and lure IDF into ambushes?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 02:26:23 am by Bumber »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 25, 2024, 03:28:41 am »

I have no words to describe the errors in suggesting that this situation is like a limbo competition where you aim to prove that the other party cannot stoop lower than you. Israel's set of Settler-mentality leadership (and the others, planning which Gazan beachfront properties are going to who, once every single Gazan 'decides' to go elsewhere) put everyday Israelis/Jews-in-general in at least as bad a light as the Initifadaist factions have stained their respective populations/Muslims-likewise...

The 'guideline' Geneva Convention already is pretty strong on how to respond to an opponent's violation of its terms. "Do as you are being done by" isn't the suggested, recommended or even 'allowed' action. Things may become 'messy', in wartime, but there are hard and fast obligations to punish grave violations (which go well beyond accidents, carelessness or misunderstandings). If they haven't always been, this is a failing of those charged to uphold and comply with the Convention, not any wishy-washiness of its own.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41