Dwarf Fortress > DF General Discussion

What do you think about my bedroom grid?

(1/2) > >>

darkhog:
It saves space with the corridors one normally would use for bedrooms, while also allowing each dwarf to have his/her own place. Combines the space efficiency of dormitories with dwarven comfort.

zemaj:
Your bedroom grid makes me think there are x-silk sock-x scattered randomly through the rest of your fort.  Also makes me cringe to think about some rando walking through bedrooms while the occupant is sleeping.

Looks efficient and minimalist, though, which I assume is the point of this exercise.

Bumber:
The lack of horizontal connections forces an unnecessarily long route from the bottom-right. I think putting the doors in the corners of the rooms (i.e., connecting 4 rooms with a single door) and having dwarves traverse diagonally might be more efficient (while not requiring any extra doors.)

That said, the most efficient way to pack bedrooms is always going to be a 3D dwarven borg cube rather than a single z-level arrangement.

Personally, I just distribute my bedrooms around the shaft leading down through the caverns, like an inverted skyscraper. Nothing better to do with that space, and traversing 20 z-levels of stairs is the same as traversing 20 tiles of floor. (For comparison, the bottom-right room in your setup may as well be 100 z-levels down, near the magma sea.)

darkhog:

--- Quote from: Bumber on December 04, 2023, 01:21:35 am ---The lack of horizontal connections forces an unnecessarily long route from the bottom-right. I think putting the doors in the corners of the rooms (i.e., connecting 4 rooms with a single door) and having dwarves traverse diagonally might be more efficient (while not requiring any extra doors.)

That said, the most efficient way to pack bedrooms is always going to be a 3D dwarven borg cube rather than a single z-level arrangement.

Personally, I just distribute my bedrooms around the shaft leading down through the caverns, like an inverted skyscraper. Nothing better to do with that space, and traversing 20 z-levels of stairs is the same as traversing 20 tiles of floor. (For comparison, the bottom-right room in your setup may as well be 100 z-levels down, near the magma sea.)

--- End quote ---

I plan to eventually have horizontal connections as well (to optimize pathing), however right now I don't have enough doors to even cover the holes I currently have. As for taking advantage of Z-levels, I plan more "bedroom floors" when I run out of space here, on lower Z-levels.

Findulidas:

--- Quote from: Bumber on December 04, 2023, 01:21:35 am ---That said, the most efficient way to pack bedrooms is always going to be a 3D dwarven borg cube rather than a single z-level arrangement.

--- End quote ---

Used to be that dwarves got bad thoughts from noise created from workshops, hauling etc and so having all bedrooms on one level was not as daft as you would think. Although I think that changed and now only engraving, digging, wood cutting and few other things create the bad thoughts. So the asterisk on that would be dont dig around the bedrooms and dont put bedrooms close to the surface.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version