Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elven pantheon  (Read 192 times)

Resmisal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elven pantheon
« on: December 09, 2023, 11:47:21 pm »

Hello, Bay12Forums and fellow Dwarf Fortress designers, Resmisal here, long time fan and some time forum goer here! Belated congratulations to the one year anniversary of the official Steam release. If you're athletic you can still see a six where there's now a nine, haha!

Without further acrobatics I think I have found a way to randomly generate mythopoeia. What's mythopoeia? Good question! It's the creation of myths, mythologies, and by extension the "fluff" of fictional religions. Keep the elves worshipping a pan(en)theistic force. What can be added is powers that be.
Powers.
What are powers, you ask?
They're deities, plain and simple. The world has a force and every woodland has a power represented by an abudantly occuring animal where the pointy eared folk live. One force, many powers. Give elves a pantheon. Dwarves have them, humans have them, goblins have named demons; I would love to later present an interpretatio nanica but for that I need elven polytheism. Once syncretism is common knowledge I can move on to RNG myth-making.
Long story short - Let the world gen make more than one force but call them powers.