Dwarf Fortress > DF Community Games & Stories

Bannerblunts: Candy, Blood, Cave Toads (Steam Succession) (Complete, spoilers)

(1/7) > >>

Otto_K:

(Image 1: The surface tower)

Bannerblunts: Succession Fort of Rings and Cave Toads (Completed)
Dwarf Fortress Succession

The final year of 125 is over and fort is complete! Edited this post with the latest images.

This is the story of Zulbanunal, aka Bannerblunts, a community fort organized in Blind’s (BlindIrl) discord server. The fort was created with no great ambitions in mind, but it became a prosperous and relatively peaceful fort. The players were able to create great architecture and produce infinite wealth by manufacturing cave toad bone rings for 20 years.

Though it had its fair share of battles against demons of all kinds, an ettin rampaging in the mayor’s waterfall villa, a necromancer baroness reviving an entire goblin siege, and a pet dragon getting loose and melting a whole bunch of dwarves. There's been forgotten beasts killed by gecko demons, forgotten beasts killing each other in a proper battle royale, demons crushed by cave-in traps, and even demons wounded by brave, imprisoned cave toads.

The following messages will contain some of the first yearly summaries, then more years in later messages. I’m not sure if I figured out how the posting and message formatting and stuff on this forum works, but here goes…
Enjoy the story, hopefully!

Edit: Another thing, just wanted to say: feel free to comment, discuss or ask questions about the playthrough! The summaries, images and other discussion was all originally posted in Discord, so there could still be stuff missing from this thread as a result

List of players:

Melody
Otto_K
Salvadaddy
Albreo
GeeFin

(Image 2: The Guildhall floor)

Otto_K:

Oh, one detail i was missing: This game was started in September, so it's been going for a few months.

Zulbanunal, Bannerblunts
Year 100, Melody

No summary was ever written for the first year. This text is by Otto_K.
Melody, founder of this fort and beginner DF player, stepped out after the year to focus on other games for the time being.

In the year 100, The Bolts of Clashing was founded in the fresh outpost of Bannerblunts by the dwarven civilization of Borlonfikod, the Severe Glazes. A small but functional surface fort was built between the rock and the soil layer,  which was later fortified and furnished to better act as a long-term part of the fort.

There was some issues with burrows among other things, and for some reason a very unhappy dwarf, who later died because they just stopped drinking. Stay hydrated, I suppose… I must wonder what happened to that dwarf. I’ve never lost a dwarf to suicide during the first year of a fort.

(Note from the future:)

Looking at Legends, the hidden history is revealed. Poor Edem Fathlilum. She failed to create an artefact in the first year of the outpost, so understandably, she withdrew from society and died of thirst.

Too bad, too. Reading further, she was the only daughter of Rakust Bravedvessel and Moldath Paddlethorns the prophet. Both of her parents were killed some decades prior during the fall of Gildcrystal by the forgotten beast, Guthstak Hagburied the Lustful Cancer of Pus.

You could have stayed in Rapidship. You could have made an artefact. You could have had a whole life. So then, that’s a sad ending for an entire family. Oh well. At least old Moldath and the fall of Gildcrystal has been a somewhat popular topic of statues in Bannerblunts.

(Image: Legends mode)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Otto_K:

Image 1: Kitchen and dining hall in the manufacturing floor

Zulbanunal, Bannerblunts
Year 101, OttoK
Posted [13.09.2023] on Discord

I see a nice little fortress up in the highlands. We have coal, iron, platinum, all the good stuff. This should be pretty alright. Ahhh shit, there’s only 4 drinks…

The dwarves were stuck sitting around in a small part of the fort, until one of my succession partners advised me to turn off burrows. There’s some other issues: The bedrooms have been assigned as a public dormitory, and there’s no manager. I set the expedition leader as a manager and got some work orders going.

I built a well with a small water reservoir underneath, and a cool dining hall, and some big wide corridors and ramp stairwells for traversing the fort. The fort should be decently spacious in that regard. I also set up a hospital and a temple, as well as the first squad, and forged iron weapons and armor for them.

I set up a fruit gathering zone that’s producing so well, we haven’t brewed any mushrooms. I breached the cavern layer and cage-trapped the corridor to catch some cave animals. Meat! The fort looks well, and pretty happy too. Though the outpost diplomat walked out on me when my expedition leader was busy, possibly managing work orders, but oh well.

Note from the future:

A large portion of the darn spacious corridors in the manufacturing floor ended up being a waste of space, as they didn’t really serve any purpose and the important facilities were built elsewhere, mostly in the layers above the manufacturing floor. The giant cave toads found in the first cavern layer, however, proved very useful later on.

Image 2: Waterworks and control room
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Otto_K:

Image 1: Tavern built into the natural waterfall.

Zulbanunal, Bannerblunts
Year 102, Salvadaddy
Posted [ 14.09.2023 ] on Discord

I've added a waterfall tavern, a mayor's villa, and a bookkeeper. I also move the barracks towards the top of the fort, right next to the stairs, so they could defend from the goblin snatchers that have been coming.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)Image 2: Mayor’s quarters in the waterfall villa.

Otto_K:

Image 1: The front tower.

Zulbanunal, Bannerblunts
Year 103, Albreo
Posted [ 17.09.2023 ] on Discord

I have arrived at this humble village. Through vast mountains and dense forests, all I see is a patch of unattended farmland. I pull a dwarf to ask, "Is this Bannerblunts? Where are your brethren?". He points down below. The complicated chambers and stairways underground were left by the previous three administrators. I heard this place is in need of defense. Time to get to work.

The fort is surprisingly in good shape despite the lack of alcohol and clothes. Although the dwarfs are mindlessly carrying rocks to pile up into a meaningless mound, I immediately tell them to stop. The two exposed stairways had to be closed down for safety reasons, but one of the fisherdwarfs complained to me "This is the path I take to work". Aye, I compromise. At least fish under the roof. I agree to give him a little hut.

The front tower base has begun construction. I have visualized a grand entrance befitting the future king. I abandoned the previous farm plot and situated a new one under the tower for maximum efficiency. We will no longer lack alcohol to feed those useless visitors. Our little rope reed plantation should also suffice to provide us with some coarse braies to wear. Less a hairy naked dwarf ruining my eyes.

Image 2: Fisherman's hut.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)Image 3: Guildhalls and artifact vault.

A period of peace. A band of goblins arrived, and they demanded a parley. "Over my dead body", I said. The first row of traps was already complete. You lot are welcome to try. The goblins skipped over the traps like over a trough by the road. Looks like my mechanics need some beating. The mechanisms are not up to standard. Noted. I set up some guild halls to solve the lack of skilled dwarfs. Hopefully, we will have better traps in the near future.

It's Autumn. An accident happened. The annoying outpost liaison came running in, shouting that there was a big bird outside. I sent our squad to take a look. The first layer's ceiling, unbeknownst to me, has collapsed for some time, and a massive roc took the liberty to dive in. A poor dwarf carrying 30 stacks of our fresh vegetables was the victim. "He was cut in half. It's gruesome", the kid who picked up the corpse told me. The roc was put to sleep at the cost of an arm of our axe dwarf. I blessed him with an early retirement.

My term is almost coming to an end, and we are still lacking beds and weapons. In the first cavern layer, a good chunk of marble was found, useful for smelting steel and making statues alike. I hastily set up a steel production line. After inspection, the weapon quality is up to standard, but the armor needs much improvement.

It's the dawn of year 104, the age of legend.

From chat:

Albreo — 15.09.2023
The military doesn't wear boots and our militia commander got injured in the foot. guess I will have to fix that.

Edit: Added some important images that were posted in discord, that I missed previously. See below:

Image 4: Left to right: The roc battle, the goblin battle, and the injuries of Zulban Lekkulet, militia commander.

Albreo — 14.09.2023
The handy work of three people building stairways in 3 different spots is hilarious. Guess I will start with some surface defense. Do we have flux stone here?
Oh, There's some marble.

Salvadaddy — 14.09.2023
Care to add a fourth? 🤣

Albreo — 14.09.2023
Now you said it. Might as well add one to the mountainside but that one entrance on top of the mountain has to go. too close to the edge.

Salvadaddy — 14.09.2023
But it leads to the fishing zone

Albreo — 14.09.2023
Then I will build a cute fishing thatch over it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version