Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Bannerblunts: Candy, Blood, Cave Toads (Steam Succession) (Complete, spoilers)  (Read 3101 times)

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Reign of Uno!!!

Image 1: Uno Ashdied killing Zas Blazedcave the miner. 

Image 2: Fath Magicpulleys surveying her opponent, waiting to finish the fight

Zulbanunal, Bannerblunts
Year 118, OttoK
Posted [ 01.12.2023 ] on Discord

This year, the efforts of the dwarves were turned towards surveying the underground for the two missing underworld spires. There was no sieges, which was a welcome change of pace. I should have begun with sending the squads to survey the third cave layer, finding the top of spire that way. Instead I had the dwarves digging upwards for 100 layers.

I started digging at -110, digging stairways up, skirting the spire’s edge. I accidentally breached a lava pocket, killing a miner. Finally, I found the tops of two spires at -13, at the red cave’s level.

Digging upwards, a miner breached the red caverns, and was immediately assaulted by Uno Ashdied the forgotten beast, a towering one-eyed mite.

Honestly, this was pretty exciting, as I had been itching to go FB hunting in this fort. The squads were sent to deal with the invader, and Axe Lord Fath Magicpulleys chopped the beast down to size. She graciously gave the militia commander the honor of last hit, which she did by crushing the beast’s head.

There was a regrettable complication where Uno’s noxious secretions caused multiple dwarves’ bodies to rot. Both Fath and the commander seemingly survived without injury.

The caves have become so overgrown with trees that there's forgotten beasts just stuck in the narrow parts. Thus, the dwarves were able to safely chop down some of the cave trees near the stairwell in the third cavern layer, under a generous quota from the elves. Tons of cave animal bones were also harvested.

There's a crippled, nigh unkillable FB in the cavern. Made of flame so its body is constantly obstructed by smoke, making it difficult to even land a hit. I just walled off that section.

I started emptying the spire's top lava pockets with a sort of pump-and-dissipate method, it’s a bit slow work but reliable. Found a lot of new gold veins while looking for the spires. More gold pedestals were forged for upgrading some guildhalls with shiny valuable junk. I saw that the pillar room was cleaned of stockpile hell by previous administation, and therefore left without purpose. So I decided to turn it into the crafters’ sanctum, with a closed off bone stockpile adjacent.

All mourn!
Zulban Lekkulet is dead! The former militia commander passed away of old age while worshiping in the guild hall district. He went in peace, I’m sure. He was the militia commander from 101 until 109. He created Soundlistens the artefact copper battle axe in year 99 in Rapidship. He was of the first generation of dwarves.

Image 3: The loss of Zulban Lekkulet.

From chat:

Otto_K — 25.11.2023
What happened to the cobras? Also we have an enemy in the sewers
Asri Questpolished the human. He's dead inside after seeing his comrades slaughtered, but delighted and remembering fondly the waterfall

Albreo — 25.11.2023
He escaped reality and went to live in the sewer from then on. Happy ending.

Salvadaddy — 25.11.2023
F for the cobras

Otto_K — 27.11.2023
So we have like 100 layers of spire to work with. Does it all have candy?

Salvadaddy — 27.11.2023
Honestly I have no clue, but I assume it has more than the other one at least

GeeFin — 28.11.2023
🤤  most of it should have candy.  Yay, candy clothes for all dwarves!
Never mind, candy cloth still wears out normally

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Image 4: Asri Questpolished the human

Image 5: New Spires

Image 6: Crafter's sanctum

Image 7: Forgotten beast meat!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 03:55:15 pm by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!
Zulbanunal - Bannerblunts
Bardumiseth - Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Image: Zulban's Legacy

Reading the Legends

Zulban Bristleabbeys

So, Zulban Lekkulet, our former militia commander. I thought he was just a common Urist, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Turns out, he's very special indeed. His son, you see, was the baron of Gildcrystal, the lost fortress. Killed at its defence by that cancerous monster, Guthstak. That must have been a hard one: losing a son, and also knowing that your son's rule ended in one of the great tragedies of this dwarven civilization. Zulban had many other kids, though. And it's good to see that he kept himself together and served Bannerblunts well.

What I didn't know about Guthstak, though, is that it's an enormous chickadee, which is a cute lil bird apparently. Though it also squirms and fidgets, has lidless eyes, and shoots webs, so not so cute maybe.

Zutthan Onulgim

The miner who died after breaching a lava pocket? I found out that she's been slandered by Legends mode itself. It says that she bled to death, killed by the honey badger Partnerpapers. That's not true, she bled to death while melting in lava. No honey badgers were involved! This seems to be a bug in Legends, where the last creature to cause an injury will be scored as the killer.

She originally came from the Avalanche of Influence civ as a dancer, and she was an ardent worshiper of one of their gods, Nekol the Quiescent. She's the god of silence, crafts, creation, rebirth and death. So she's a death goddess as well! I like the gods of death in this world a lot...

Image:Zutthan the miner

« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:13:57 pm by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Image 1: "I just found the second fun tube. And it spawned this; both of those blobs have this many parrot fiends btw"

Zulbanunal, Bannerblunts
Year 119, Salvadaddy
Posted [ 07.12.2023 ] on Discord

I started the year off strong by nearly letting in a web shooting FB through a door I thought was locked, but fortunately, it decided to attack a magma crab, so I decided to check out the fight and found it at our doorstep

I began mining out the second spire, and quickly discovered the second hell tube. I made some space around it and essentially spent the rest of my turn going down it, since I uncovered the midsection of the tube so the clown car was all the way at the top, giving me time to plug it from the top. It took me a while before I finally moved the block stockpile closer to the project site and damn I wish I had done so a lot sooner because that saved tremendous amounts of time. By the end of the turn, I had touched the surface of the underworld and built a few walls, before a pair of gecko devils came.

One of the devils killed my favorite goblin miner Em, which was sad, and arguably worse, it keeps excreting it's noxious secretions, so it is constantly keeping the combat log open. May need to DF hack kill it, unless we can get the stupid marksdwarves working, which I've also been trying to do, to no avail

Other than all that, there was a magma accident that cost I think 5 lives. That, in addition to Em, some random dwarf who didn't come inside during a siege, and a stupid dwarf who went through the blender, means we lost about 8 people my turn; the most in a while, I believe. The reason I turned on the blenders was because a dragon appeared, which really worried me. All that worrying was for naught, however, as it was captured in a cage trap and now adorns the general temple. Also, it didn't start a forest fire, despite torching some pigs when it entered the map

Finally, we got 2 artifacts this year: a giant cave toad bone door, which is being used to help seal the second hell tube, and an adamantine mace. And that concludes my turn. Strike the Earth!

Image 2: The Spaghetti

From chat:

Salvadaddy — 07.12.2023
It seems as though the king gets to pull the Spaghetti Slayer Stick
It's the lever that will slay this pile of spaghetti
The spaghetti has been slain

Salvadaddy — 06.12.2023
So we just lost 3 dwarves; 1 because they were slower than magma, and 2 because the dumbasses didn't think "hm maybe I should leave" when they saw the lava approaching
And I guess we'll lose another because they just decided to walk through the undoubtedly hot door

GeeFin — 06.12.2023
spire digging is probably the  most lemmings part of the game
RIP dwarves

Salvadaddy — 06.12.2023
Ok so maybe a few more than that died somehow?
Either way the memorial hall is getting fuller

Salvadaddy — 07.12.2023
Cage trap activated. Crisis averted
Fun has begun Oh and apparently we lost a dwarf and beat the shit out of a human because of the blenders I activated to deal with the dragon

GeeFin — 07.12.2023
yay! new flamey friend

Albreo — 07.12.2023
Eh, but I want a forest fire the trees are too dense.

Salvadaddy — 07.12.2023
Yeah when looking at it I didn't realize how dense the trees were

Image 3: Kima Glowsizzled the Diamond Brand, the dragon

Image 2: The site of magma accident

Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Image 1: The spire excavation

Zulbanunal, Bannerblunts
Year 120, GeeFin
Posted [ 10.12.2023 ] on Discord

Early on I had the human welcoming committee visit the fort. They had no issue getting through the central entryway, but were otherwise blocked by the traps in the upper right. I replaced the traps in the central path again, hopefully it keeps the next batch from getting as far inside

I lost 4 dwarves and a human to surprise lava in the spires. I opened a large magma tube above the recently found spire, but it was too much magma and filled up the whole area. I did manage to get some more gems just above that level,  but there was no adamantine access from there. I did manage to get a bunch more adamantine between -61 and -63 though.

I decided to replace some of the entryway floor mushrooms with jet floors. And I switched the microcline stones to koala-night blocks for the stoneworker's workshops

We made three more artifacts and found several more relics in the basement too. I also made it so that only one magma smelter is melting stuff, that way we don't end up with as many invisible portions of metal blocks in all our smelters.

Image 2: The Bear Room in year 122.

From chat:

Albreo - 10.12.2023: The side trap is currently a bit too potent. I will have to thin some out to make them be able to reach our bears.

GeeFin — 10.12.2023: okay, I added more traps between the central area and the upper right side trap, feel free to remove those too 🙂

Salvadaddy — 10.12.2023: I forgot about THE BEAR ROOM

Salvadaddy — 10.12.2023: Damn

GeeFin — 10.12.2023: We have a bear room?

ElfyBean — 10.12.2023: :CatPeek: hold up

orangetj — 10.12.2023: what kind of bears?

GeeFin — 10.12.2023: non-giant grizzlies, I just never saw that they had their own room

GeeFin — 10.12.2023: question? or were you curious about the bears too? 🙂

ElfyBean — 10.12.2023: the concept of a bear room is as delightful as it is unexpected

GeeFin — 10.12.2023: drawing prompt? 🙂

ElfyBean — 10.12.2023: i think so :ThinkSmirk:

GeeFin — 10.12.2023: I look forward to it!

Otto_K — 10.12.2023: The trap corridor eventually leads to the bear room in the lower level
(Shares image)

ElfyBean — 10.12.2023: That is fantastic

ElfyBean — 10.12.2023: Can you imagine being part of an invading force, here?? You finally make it past all the traps, turn the corner, and find yourself staring into a giant room full of bears

Otto_K — 10.12.2023: Yea, i imagine the fellowship from LotR, entering Moria, being trapped inside, and they realize there's bears everywhere

Image 3: The Lord of Trading, an artefact vest. Telling the tale of cloth production, beginning of Bannerblunts, and a cool bat man. Made by Mφrul Warrampart the Tired Ditch, one of our most long-time warriors

Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Image 1: Forgotten Beast battle arena. Combatant list on the right

Image 2: Combatant list without overhead view, not downscaled

Zulbanunal, Bannerblunts
Year 121, Albreo
Posted [ 14.12.2023 ] on Discord

We have a three-way FBs fight early in the year with the victory belonging to the fluffy crocodile. Also, That guy in the sewer managed to escape and died on the way out. Did a bit of cleaning, surprisingly not too bad although someone has been secretly making 3000 shale blocks. Also, abolish a goblet stockpile. Don't make a stockpile for it people. It's a waste of dwarf time. I put some of the bards back into the tavern proportionately. Also, to prevent a bar fight I have excluded all beer stockpiles from the tavern zones.

The missing squad leader has been reappointed, also, start training some more spare. The crossbow squad is now fixed and under training. I gave everyone an adamantine shield and also got rid of all useless bolts but steel. The new archery range is next to the old glamorous barrack. On top, there's a new arrow tower with a patrol route in place. Currently, only set to patrol during the first months. Haven't had time to switch everyone's weapon to adamantine yet.

I did a bit of spire digging in the north to replenish some adamantine bars. One dwarf burned in the process. R.I.P., the legendary engraver.

In autumn, A roc came and died to the silver balls. Its skull is put in the doctor's guild along with its brethren. I went to raid our former trade partner a bit. Turns out their main fortress has so many artifacts and there are still more. A load of books for our misty library.

The ongoing noble purge should continue. If some visitor suddenly dies inside the fort, do not be alarmed. There's no fixing it. There are 3 more new nobles who haven't had room yet. I have set noble demands to be way less, not the max yet, so don't worry about having more and getting headaches with their demands. Also, turn some cave invader back on so the cave get some action.

The Trap continues to get new upgrades with a way to release the dragon if you ever want to but do note that most of the trap might be destroyed in the process. The king artifact chain is now on the dragon's neck. The ballistas outside are just for shooting trees for fun. The bear room gets some love as well.

Image 3a, 3b: Three FBs. One victor. Fight!

FORGOTTEN BEAST ROYALE!
From chat:

Albreo — 10.12.2023
Guess what? I'm about to let them duke it out.

Salvadaddy — 10.12.2023
I look forward to the carnage

Albreo — 11.12.2023
To the north, we have a pumpkin lobster. To the east, a web spitting dinosaur with 2 FBs under the belt. To the south, a fluffy crocodile spitting fire that was already half cooked. The main stair door has been locked. The temperature turned on. Let the battle begin!!

The fire beast gets the first hit!! The webs all burn away and get the upper hand. The blind lobster still surveying the main stair.

Oh, the lobster has a unique way of joining the fray with wall climbing. It runs away while the other two still duke it out. The dinosaur is very tanky.

At last, the useless lobster on fire comes down to fight. The crocodile win!! The cavern is slightly on fire though.

Image 4: "Despite my full day effort, it's inevitable. The dwarf has started to purge all outside nobles to consolidate their power. The king doubted their loyalty and the purge was ordered."

From chat:

GeeFin — 12.12.2023
What were we missing for Mountainhome?

Salvadaddy — 13.12.2023
I assume the relics just weren't assigned, since I know we've had the treasures for a while and I believe the king already has the throne

Albreo — 13.12.2023
The king needed to have artifacts on his body but someone put them on pedestals so he couldn't get them.
Anyway, someone needs to build a new artifact room. It's almost full. I also gave the king a few more so he can be a walking artifact vault.

GeeFin — 13.12.2023
Huh, I didn't realize they needed to be on his body

Salvadaddy — 13.12.2023
Ohhhhh I wondered about that

Albreo — 13.12.2023
Ah shit, it's this bug again. Dogs mauling visitors that's why I don't keep dogs. Butcher them all.

Salvadaddy — 13.12.2023
I've not heard of that bug before

Albreo — 13.12.2023
It's the issue with animal vs visitor during seige. Not just dogs but any aggressive animals will also attack. A leopard bit the baron just now lol.
I usually save before the siege so I can try to mitigate that a bit. Gotta tug all of them away from visitors.
Whoops, it's getting worse.
No shooty shooting things today everyone get inside. I will do a handoff approach.

Otto_K — 14.12.2023
I don't get it, why is that happening? Also bad luck that the roc missed every cage trap

Albreo — 14.12.2023
I have no idea but this is quite a common occurrence where random visitors triggered combat along with the sieging hostile.
It's how a few of my forts ended, quite annoying.

Image 5: Mountainhome, at last.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 12:45:36 am by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
Pages: 1 2 [3]