Dwarf Fortress > DF Adventure Mode Discussion

New things in Adventure mode?

(1/2) > >>

Kayla:
So yeah, I've been playing Dwarf Fort mode exclusively, and loving the new features.But what all is new in Adventure mode?

Keiseth:
The Z-axis and countless other additions serve both modes. Swimming, for instance, combined with seamless maps, will allow you to (slowly) traverse an ocean. You can go through the highest mountains the same way, if you find spots you can climb.Caves and ruins seem to be redone too, there are COUNTLESS new monsters... the Z-Axis affects everything. The towns are much more interesting too.Also, if your race can fly, which isn't available unless you play with the raws, you can fly out of pits, onto a roof, etc. Oh, the oceans! I almost forgot the oceans. They're quite amazing, the tide comes in, there is driftwood about... it's amazing.Play around!

Aquillion:
The big thing in adventure mode is the removal of map borders; you can no longer flee off the edge of the map to escape, and many places can be much bigger than they were before.There are hills scattered across the landscape.  Were those there before?

BDR:
quote:Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>The big thing in adventure mode is the removal of map borders; you can no longer flee off the edge of the map to escape, and many places can be much bigger than they were before.
</STRONG>You can still travel, though, and travel will still magically heal whatever ails you short of the stuff it was short on last version (limb loss, eye loss, etc.).  Unfortunately it seems you can't take stuff from towns anymore (at least, not without being stuck walking everywhere due to travel still claiming the stolen goods to be the property of others even though they are dead by the time you escape the town's square on the map [:shakes fist:]).   quote:Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>
There are hills scattered across the landscape.  Were those there before?</STRONG>Last version didn't have a 3rd dimension, thus it wasn't possible for higher and lower elevations of land to exist.  QED.[ November 01, 2007: Message edited by: BDR ]

Rondol:
Climbing mountains can be difficult. I tracked back and forth at a spot trying to get up to the top of a mountain for about an hour before I gave up and walked off a nearby cliff (3 story fall), then crawling for a bit (thrice-broken leg, thrice-crippled hip, and a mangled spine) before giving up and traveling (to heal) and then ultimately quitting out of boredom.Oh yeah! Exploding people is awesome in this version. I blew somebody apart with a mace shot and got messages about their various body parts being blown apart as they collided with stuff.But thus far, my favorite message in adventure mode has been from just walking off a balcony in the inn... "You slam into an obstacle." Damn you ground! Always getting in my way!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version