Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why is it so hard to recruit allies now?  (Read 477 times)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
Why is it so hard to recruit allies now?
« on: April 19, 2024, 08:37:32 am »

Hi, long time player, back to adventure mode after a 12 year hiatus. I seem to remember it was pretty easy to get followers back then, but I can't seem to get any one to follow me now. How do I go about convincing people to join me as companions?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 09:04:06 am by Brotato »
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is it so hard to recruit allies now?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 12:39:00 pm »

I don't know if it's why, but you can just start as a party with the bonus that you can switch to the other members and directly control them. No more having them chase after every wild animal or wishing they'd equip better stuff.

Anyway, it helps to hav a reputation.

I think of it like this: if some random dude walked up to me and asked if I wanted to go on an adventure, I'd want nothing to do with him, but if Bear Grills did that I'd at least think about it, though I'd be very wary of drinking any thing he offered.

Another thing you can do, once it's available in the beta, is try buttering them up with gifts, even a named pebble impresses them, and gifting pets can be really effective, even if it's just some random stray animal you just adopted.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 11:47:34 pm »

Hi, long time player, back to adventure mode after a 12 year hiatus. I seem to remember it was pretty easy to get followers back then, but I can't seem to get any one to follow me now. How do I go about convincing people to join me as companions?
ok so between 12 years ago to now you missed like a whole lot of updates that made it so trying to get fame to get followers requires a bit more work, mostly to butter up folks who seek adventure.
also there's other ways to get followers including the one that goes after the unit's art value than their excitement seeking value. which is for entertainment.
it's possible to debate someone into loving arts and just wow them with a performance so good that they just want to join you to entertain others.
side stepping that 47 added adv party members which allows the player to team up with other adventurers which doubles for followers this also does make it so companions and party members are now terms to take in consideration where companions are npc followers and party members are pc followers. and each adventurer can have their own companions which joins up with the giant pile of other folks followers which probably push the follower count beyond the follower recruitment cap.

so if you pick up a bunch of pets and or form an adventuring party of a lot of folks you're probably not going to get drunks to follow you... but you don't need to get drunks to follow you when you can make human outsiders to be meat shields instead.
oh and you could just park everyone(tell everyone to wait) in one spot to shrink the follower size down under the recruitment cap and just pick up folks in a session then tell everyone to follow you again which would also push you past the recruitment cap again.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 06:57:34 am »

ok so between 12 years ago to now you missed like a whole lot of updates that made it so trying to get fame to get followers requires a bit more work, mostly to butter up folks who seek adventure.
also there's other ways to get followers including the one that goes after the unit's art value than their excitement seeking value. which is for entertainment.
it's possible to debate someone into loving arts and just wow them with a performance so good that they just want to join you to entertain others.
side stepping that 47 added adv party members which allows the player to team up with other adventurers which doubles for followers this also does make it so companions and party members are now terms to take in consideration where companions are npc followers and party members are pc followers. and each adventurer can have their own companions which joins up with the giant pile of other folks followers which probably push the follower count beyond the follower recruitment cap.

so if you pick up a bunch of pets and or form an adventuring party of a lot of folks you're probably not going to get drunks to follow you... but you don't need to get drunks to follow you when you can make human outsiders to be meat shields instead.
oh and you could just park everyone(tell everyone to wait) in one spot to shrink the follower size down under the recruitment cap and just pick up folks in a session then tell everyone to follow you again which would also push you past the recruitment cap again.

I was walking through a town and met a man skink Hunter Ghoul and when I asked him to join me he asked me to convince him I tried everything I could but I couldn't figure out how to convince him but that was different than the option that I was getting from everybody that says I don't think I want to do that..

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2024, 04:11:37 pm »

I was walking through a town and met a man skink Hunter Ghoul and when I asked him to join me he asked me to convince him I tried everything I could but I couldn't figure out how to convince him but that was different than the option that I was getting from everybody that says I don't think I want to do that..
so if they ask for proof you can bring up an event of your adventurer doing a really good performance and that would tell them, or lead to them saying you need more practice.
"body swapping and YOU!"

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 10:39:27 pm »

I found it insanely easy to recruit allies but what I find disturbing is that you can't control them, the only people that you can control in your party are the people that you embark with I've recruited tons of people and none of them give me the option to control them manually they just follow me around how do you get the option to manually control them ???

And I know there's a button that you click that that puts you into manual control mode but it doesn't do anything with people that you recruit with entertainment or soldering I don't think??? 😔

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 11:11:44 pm »

You can't control those companions, only the party members from creation.

(Though last time I used bodyswap in DFHack in 0.47.05, it upgraded a rescued prisoner companion to a full party member.)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2024, 01:28:19 am »

(Though last time I used bodyswap in DFHack in 0.47.05, it upgraded a rescued prisoner companion to a full party member.)

that's a silly feature !!! i don't like having tons of party member that i cant control :( but oh well

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2024, 04:41:37 am »

that's a silly feature !!! i don't like having tons of party member that i cant control :( but oh well
so the big thing you need to remember is party members you make at the start are just adventurers you're making more adventurers and grouping them into a party.
they are a different type of characters from the non playable ones you can befriend.
this was a thing in 47 when it was introduced and led to the same reaction of 'wait I can't control my companions?!' from the players who learn of it's limitations to just other fellow adventurers.
which lead to separation of terminology with non controllable characters and the controllable characters.
which is why I stick to calling npc followers Companions and player character followers or ones made in adv mode, APM or adventuring party members or adv party members.
also chances are bodyswap script in dfhack for 47.05 had an update where it adds the bodyswapped person to the core party members list so you can tab over to them again and/or just adds them to the list of retired adventurers on the next run.
"body swapping and YOU!"

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2024, 06:42:47 am »

so the big thing you need to remember is party members you make at the start are just adventurers you're making more adventurers and grouping them into a party.
they are a different type of characters from the non playable ones you can befriend.
this was a thing in 47 when it was introduced and led to the same reaction of 'wait I can't control my companions?!' from the players who learn of it's limitations to just other fellow adventurers.
which lead to separation of terminology with non controllable characters and the controllable characters.
which is why I stick to calling npc followers Companions and player character followers or ones made in adv mode, APM or adventuring party members or adv party members.
also chances are bodyswap script in dfhack for 47.05 had an update where it adds the bodyswapped person to the core party members list so you can tab over to them again and/or just adds them to the list of retired adventurers on the next run.

Yep everything you said have to agree it was quite a shock to find out there was a complete difference between party members and people just following you around cuz it's cool