Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dominions 6 Release Day Playthrough [Singleplayer, EA Yomi]  (Read 4252 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 6 Release Day Playthrough [Singleplayer, EA Yomi]
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2024, 06:42:27 pm »

Myself, I'm not seeing myself picking it up at all. The price tag is more nuts than I remember (you truly are a wealthy radish). And I might have been burned out on Dominions anyway.
But being able to read up on how differently it plays in this much detail is much appreciated. Ta.

I understand the big selling point this version is the extraplanar activity? Plus some minor tweaks.

Seems like the Single Player experience has been enhanced. A bit more diplomacy with the AI and it's supposed to be stronger as well (with things like army composition)
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2024, 08:55:43 pm »

Some new features definitely aren't going to effect people playing multiplayer on custom maps (the better random map generation, the new plane(s?), the AI diplomacy). Whether the content additions and balance changes are enough on their own is hard to say (I don't think I've seen enough to form an opinion yet).

Turn 8

Speaking of AI diplomacy, our fishy friends have a reply:

3 whole turns of non-aggression! Funny, given that we no longer border each other. Also funny given that it took 3 turns just to coordinate (I sent a message, they had to process the message, and now I receive the reply). Most amusing of all, my dominion spreading scouted their capital location for me:

Back to fixing the disaster from last turn... big early fights with undead always give me the willies.

Spoiler: Oh dear (click to show/hide)

In the event, things are mostly fine...

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Yeah, the surviving goblins retreated, and frustratingly enough they once again did so right as the last skeleton was defeated (to be fair, 2/3 of their compatriots did get butchered). It's enough of a setback that I need to stall on uniting my provinces by one more agonizing turn while I reinforce with a pitiful number of Oni and deserters from the capital (I'm planning out every penny to afford a Dai Oni next turn).

The unholy province they're supposed to attack next has me worried...

Spoiler: Deathland (click to show/hide)

The souless might seem worthless, but their high combined HP has the unfortunate tendency to attract a prophet's attention away from the much deadlier longdead horsemen.

Meanwhile, my beloved Dai Oni continues to carve out more currently useless land unconnected to my capital, and encounters the first spotting of a rival land power's dominion:

Spoiler: Order scales, bleh (click to show/hide)

The order scales disturb me, given the "chaos power" attribute all Oni have (which significantly improves their stats in Turmoil and reduces it in Order).

I'm way too broke to be doing any scouting (my terrible national scouts are now 50% more expensive than in Dom5 and I rarely bought them there either, though it does feel like incomes are higher in Dom6), but my dominion spreading at least gives some idea of where the enemy might be. The lack of rival dominion thus far suggests to me that we'll have plenty of room to grow here.

Here's the map for this turn:

Spoiler: Overworld map (click to show/hide)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2024, 09:11:49 pm »

The disconnection is making me sad. Plz werewolves and undead, plz.

3 whole turns of non-aggression!

NAP-3 means that you're at peace until someone ends the nap, at which point there's a 3 turn cool down before you can attack each other (and I think that'll be enforced by the game, given diplomacy is binding is selected.) So basically a three turn warning before any attacks.

Seems like the Single Player experience has been enhanced. A bit more diplomacy with the AI and it's supposed to be stronger as well (with things like army composition)

There's certainly going to be a huge amount of changes in the multiplayer scene as well. A whole new magic path, all existing magic paths being changed around, new spells and the largest battlefield spells being pushed back to higher research and a new series of mid research large aoe spells being added in. How blessing work is very different (with the changes aimed specifically at the meta blesses) and with the changes to how scales work sacreds are going to be very different. The economy has been changed, provinces have a lot more population (thus make more money and resources and recruitment points) but mages and forts cost more. The idea seems to be larger armies and less powerful mages in the mid game to have more time with armies clashing with mage support and extend the time before mage dominance takes over and troops are reduced to ablative chaff for mages (Which previously happened very fast in some cases :P) As well of of course new nations and some reworking for old nations.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 09:13:30 pm by Criptfeind »

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2024, 09:30:22 pm »

Speaking of AI diplomacy, our fishy friends have a reply:

The fish people are a peaceful folk.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2024, 09:33:57 pm »

Yes, you seem like a troutworthy fellow.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2024, 12:48:24 am »

3 whole turns of non-aggression!

NAP-3 means that you're at peace until someone ends the nap, at which point there's a 3 turn cool down before you can attack each other (and I think that'll be enforced by the game, given diplomacy is binding is selected.) So basically a three turn warning before any attacks.

Ah, that makes much more sense.

Turn 9

After looking over our sad army that needs to capture the last undead province needed to connect our provinces, I decided it was too risky to try it this turn. Maybe it could have been taken with that force, but the margins are too thin and there are too many unknowns (we lucked out on having no necromancers in the last province, for instance). Before submitting the last turn, I switched to recruiting a second demon general with more goblins to reinforce before the attack, making this an uneventful turn. This effectively means giving up on a second Dai Oni for quite a while, as I need to also start recruiting Yomi's "sorcerer" mages for crafting (I'll need to land a 1/4 chance at an air path to get Owl Quills, at the very least):

Spoiler: Sorcerer description (click to show/hide)

The random '?' magic path is one level in either fire, death, earth, or air. All of these are useful to have around, though Dai Onis can have all these paths as well if need be. Sorcerers with level 2 earth are our most economical casters for alteration buffs (stoneskin, ironskin, etc), the level 2 death ones can be used for spamming skeletons in a pinch, and the air and fire ones are useful for crafting certain important items.

Speaking of which, we did get Construction 3, unlocking the second tier of craftable items. Looking them over, there are some interesting changes (though not as many new items as I would have hoped). It looks like basically all magical armor now increases maximum hitpoints (on top of their prior other effects), for instance. I also spotted a new glamour weapon that might help with our "useless Oni spirit" problem:

Throw that on a commander and the "Glamour Manipulator" effect should allow our Oni spirits' "false damage" to stick (as if the wielder were a glamour mage).

I also revised research slightly, going for Enchantment 2 before Construction 5. Enchantment 2 allows summoning Mound Kings, a mounted skeleton commander for a mere 3 death gems. They can lead a significant number of both living and demon/undead troops, have great map move, are amphibious, and cost no upkeep. For Yomi in particular, they're by far the most economical way to shuffle our freespawn Oni and goblins around. It's painful that I was forced to recruit any Demon Generals at all, as I'd much rather stick to zero-upkeep summoned commanders (especially with the Dom6 mage/commander price increases).

Spoiler: Research queue (click to show/hide)

Alteration is prioritized for the many useful defensive buffs along to the way to Alteration 6, which unlocks Soul Vortex (a Death 3 spell that steals health from surrounding units) and Darkness (a Death 4 spell that creates a massive -6 attack/defense penalty for units without darkvision).

This turn's map shows the walking fishsticks taking a neighboring swamp province. It sucks, because it's both a cave entrance and a swamp province we could have used later for summoning a special water/nature/death "Nushi" mage that's useful for climbing other paths (though with our rainbow pretender this is less of an issue). There's another swamp to the southwest, however:

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 12:50:24 am by WealthyRadish »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2024, 07:17:13 am »

I did a bit of testing to see how false damage works. Because it seems really weird that the nation has so much of it but no inbuilt ability to upkeep it. From what I can tell the false damage is still applied, but if there's no one on the battlefield to keep it up it heals 2 points of false damage per round (I think per round...). Seems like a fixed number too, humans with 2 false damage healed 2 and giants with like 25 false damage also healed 2.

Which, honestly, 2 regen is decent but it's not that impactful in a lot of situations. It's still super weird that the nation uses the mechanic without the support to hold it up but I think even without that it might still be a step up from the old phantasmal weapons in a lot of situations.

You know, except against things with true sight or spirit sight who are immune to them.
Like undead
Luckily you don't have a bunch of undead to kill.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 07:18:55 am by Criptfeind »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2024, 08:40:18 am »

That also means, if your false damage is lethal, you don't have to worry about the enemy healing it.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2024, 02:12:34 pm »

PTW!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2024, 10:18:56 pm »

The game updated today:

I can only hope that sailing still doesn't "work properly" enough to keep Vanheim off us, but knowing our luck they'll be making landfall any turn now.

I did a bit of testing to see how false damage works. Because it seems really weird that the nation has so much of it but no inbuilt ability to upkeep it. From what I can tell the false damage is still applied, but if there's no one on the battlefield to keep it up it heals 2 points of false damage per round (I think per round...). Seems like a fixed number too, humans with 2 false damage healed 2 and giants with like 25 false damage also healed 2.

Thanks for testing, none of the recent battles gave a chance to observe it here. That sounds to me like a decent way of avoiding this being overly glamour-dependent (and I bet Yomi isn't the nation unexpectedly finding itself dealing false damage). Still a bit unfortunate to see the spirit form debuff and loss of equipment slots.

Turn 10

We're greeted with another bad event, which also gives us an opportunity to expound on why Yomi is so poor:

Spoiler: Tribes at it again! (click to show/hide)

Note: this explanation assumes nothing has changed from Dom5 (there's no reason yet to believe it has, but who knows...)

Yomi generates freespawn Oni units from their temples, with the quantity generated depending on the Turmoil scale in the province. These freespawn are quite powerful, and are the nation's defining feature (you can play Yomi with Order scales instead and rely only on goblins, but this strikes me as terribly boring).

Turmoil is a "bad" scale with negative effects (taking it gives us more points to spend on other things when designing a pretender). It not only reduces our income directly, it also diminishes the rate at which we passively reduce provincial unrest each turn (we gain unrest when we first take a province, and unrest also reduces income). Turmoil additionally has some bad random events associated with it, most of which also add unrest, and we get more events in general.

On top of this, all of our Oni have an attribute that causes them to passively generate unrest in any province that they're stationed at. To make all of this worse, practically all of our units are "undisciplined", reducing their ability to remove unrest by "patrolling" a province.

The end result of all this is that our lands get progressively covered in large amounts of unrest that takes a long time to dissipate, while our troops all either actively generate more unrest or are particularly bad at removing it. We can offset this a bit by getting strong "dominion" in our provinces, which passively reduces unrest (which is one of the reasons why I went with very high starting dominion in the most recent Bay12 MP, but here our pretender has a mere 4/10 max dominion strength).

Beyond unrest problems, Yomi also only has access to build "primitive" forts. Our capital is a level 2 fort, but the best we can do outside of this is a crappy level 1 fort for a whopping 1000g. Forts have an "administrative" effect that increases the income of nearby provinces, and the effect is better for higher levels. Since we're constrained to poor quality forts (and can recruit our goblins and researchers outside of forts in any mountain province) there's little incentive for us to build them, with the side effect of making our provinces even poorer.

If this wasn't enough, Yomi also gets a special penalty to all income just for being Yomi (-25% in Dom5).

One way to counteract all this is "Luck" scales. Luck (at least in Dom5) gives access to better random events that occasionally dump piles of gold on you all at once, giving a RNG-based chance to bypass our hideously poor provinces. In Dom6 we're constrained to only taking Luck +2 (though Yomi does have access to a pretender that raises the limit to Luck +3). A wonderful side effect of Luck is that it often gives us random magic gems as well, and should generally result in getting fewer bad events (not that you'd know to look at us).

We got very lucky and landed an 'air' sorcerer on our first recruitment, letting us start producing owl quills to make the most of our expensive (for us) researchers:

We'll also get our first Mound King. (I also notice that our capital has 5 candles despite a max strength of 4, weirdly.)

This is the turn that we will finally, hopefully, connect up our provinces and start making some actual money. The province's Longdead Horsemen scare the crap out of me and will undoubtedly try to flank our commanders, so our formation is geared towards defending them at all costs:

Spoiler: Battle layout (click to show/hide)

The bandits are archers, but I'm desperate enough to win this that they're given melee orders instead (they have decent armor at least). The Oni nearest our commanders have ranged attacks that will hopefully place them in the commanders' vicinity when the cavalry hit. Our prophet is scripted to not even bless anyone, focusing only on his banishment spell (though I suspect he will only target souless with it, not the horsemen):

The banishment spell that priests get is based on the highest path of the pretender god, in this case the new "Glamour" path. The glamour banishment has a chance to proc a second effect after a second MR check, but only on mindless undead. That part will be useless here, but the spell still proved effective against longdeads in the last battle.

Meanwhile, still no candles to the west, giving me hope that this is all free real estate:

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2024, 10:53:14 pm »

MYGA Good luck to the prophet, hopefully they'll carry us.

Administration just increases the income of the province that the fort is placed in, so luckily we're not missing out on income increases across all our nearby provinces, just our forts. Which can be rough enough I suppose. (although 7.5% income in a province isn't that much really, it takes quite a bit to pay back the cost of the fort even for decently wealthy provinces)

Although the lack of command points sure is a real kick in the teeth.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2024, 06:11:10 am »

Which, honestly, 2 regen is decent but it's not that impactful in a lot of situations. It's still super weird that the nation uses the mechanic without the support to hold it up but I think even without that it might still be a step up from the old phantasmal weapons in a lot of situations.

You know, except against things with true sight or spirit sight who are immune to them.
Like undead
Luckily you don't have a bunch of undead to kill.

Here is what the manual has on false Damage by the way, and it looks more useful when you realise that it doesn't trigger regen effects and blood vengence.

False damage
Illusions as well as most spells from the path of Glamour will
only cause false damage. The false damage is kept real in the
mind of the victims with the help of glamour magic. If all
enemy glamour mages die, the false damage will quickly
dissipate (2 points / round) without leaving any scars on the
victims.
The false damage feels real enough that someone taking
damage + false damage equaling his total HP will die
instantly. False damage will never cause any afflictions,
apart from death.
False damage is shown as light purple numbers and dots in
the battle.
False damage will not trigger certain effects like Damage
Reversal, Blood Vengeance and Blood Bond. Also
regeneration, life drain and healing spells will not heal false
damage.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2024, 10:59:16 pm »

Administration just increases the income of the province that the fort is placed in, so luckily we're not missing out on income increases across all our nearby provinces, just our forts. Which can be rough enough I suppose. (although 7.5% income in a province isn't that much really, it takes quite a bit to pay back the cost of the fort even for decently wealthy provinces)

Oops, my mistake. I'll need to go through and edit in notes correcting all my wrong information later. Speaking of...

the manual

I forgot a manual even existed! No wonder I'm wrong all the time. While skimming it, I came across an extremely interesting change to a certain underused mechanic that will be quite... something... later. (It turns out not all of the changes in Dom6 have been bad for Yomi.)

Turn 11

Finally, 4 agonizing turns after the massacre at Strong Port, we can attack the last province needed to link up our lands:

Spoiler: Skelly city (click to show/hide)

There are fewer soulless than expected from the reports, though quite a few horsemen (along with a wight mage full of death gems). There are few enough soulless that the prophet actually targets the horsemen (saving the precious lives of countless ungrateful goblins), and these horsemen were also put in a big dumb square in the middle that can't flank our commanders, thankfully.

Taking that province more than doubles our income. The werewolf disaster in Port Strong has set us way back, but things are looking up. By this point in the lower-priced Dom5 economy I would have expected perhaps 2 Dai Oni (merrily expanding a 3 provinces per turn along with an army), 3 temples outside he capital, and at least one additional lab, but instead we have one Dai Oni and no constructions.

Still, we're getting lucky on site searching:

-- and getting the air sorcerer early is letting me start on the Dai Oni we'll hopefully send to secure the underwater province next to our capital (how nice of our underwater friends to sign that NAP!). The province is in Atlantis' cap circle as well, and I'll be curious to see if they break the pact over it. This is a priority mainly because the "amber clan" tritons in this province are an indicator that excellent recruitable water mages may be present, if Dom5 is anything to go by. We have no water gems to craft the Ring of Water Breathing needed to send a Dai Oni underwater, but it's worth alchemizing gems and diverting a turn of our pretender's time for.

A Mound King is ready, whose first assignment is scoping out the army defending that horrible throne next to our capital that's Seriously In The Way (as my mother was fond of saying):

Spoiler: Map overview (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 11:12:45 pm by WealthyRadish »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2024, 11:06:37 pm »

Turn 12 - The good, the bad, and the buggy

Last turn we sent a Mound King to ping the throne next to our capital, and I'm eager to see the results:

This throne with local death scales was a minor mystery, though if I had bothered looking up WTF a "Linnormr" is I would have seen that it has an attribute that spreads death scales. Coincidentally, half the units are diseased (even the Lnnrmrmrnr itself), suggesting it also has a Well of Pestilence or something. This is great news, as all of those horrible things that I'd rather not fight will die on their own eventually, including the commanders (leading to an instant retreat, if I were willing to wait that long).

I really wonder why this is still something that happens to independents; seems kind of cheap.

Speaking of cheap, having "scouted" the province (and filled with smug satisfaction of having forced them all to get out of their disease-ridden beds for nothing), the Mound King trots home to bring back the good news...

Except... he's gone. The Mound King vanished. There's no "retreat" section in the results summary, and he isn't shown as having died. Going through the retreat logic, I expected an 8.3% chance that he would stupidly retreat to an unowned province and die, but ordinarily the game would communicate that that's what happened. Whatever this is, it seems like a bug; I suspect it may be due to the province having an entrance to the underground plane, but who knows.

Speaking of bugs, I look up at the aquatic donut hole Atlantis lives in, and notice something peculiar:

Spoiler: Hint: (click to show/hide)

Where are the black candles? None in their capital, really?

I thought it might be due to the water reducing my "scout strength" or something, but I can see hostile candles in the sea with an identical scenario to the south. I also thought it might be due to only having one candle bordering them, but in the hint screenshot there's a province whose hostile candles I can see with just one bordering friendly candle. Seems like a bug, though maybe there's something incredibly obscure I'm missing.

It kind of sucks either way, because I've been using hostile candles as a proxy for the presence of enemies, making me think the western lands may not be as empty as I thought.

An interesting worldwide event also greets us:

An arena fight! In Dom5, the reward is paltry (or worse than nothing), the "tournament bracket" is totally unfair in its randomness, anything you send probably has something better it could be doing, and you would generally be insane to risk anything valuable on a last-man-standing battle royale like this.

Spoiler: Sign me up! (click to show/hide)

Thinking about the competition, when I was originally setting this game up I initially planned on using random enemy nations (but I thought better of it and switched them to nations that I thought would show something new):

Tir na n'Og - glamour mages
Vanheim - glamour mages
Helheim - glamour mages
Agartha - start in the underground plane?
Muspelheim - new EA nation
Pyrene - new EA nation
Therodos - random water nation
Atlantis - random water nation

I fear no elf in the ring of honor (and thankfully the water nations don't include any mindmelting blobfish) but both of the new EA nations have serious contenders:

Spoiler: Hairy basques (click to show/hide)

The basques are crawling with giants (all wielding two handed clubs just asking to brain my still-unhelmeted Oni) and niefelnot has that enormous freak with an armor piercing fire-area sword, but I decide to make the foolhardy and incorrect assumption that if either of these had anyone worth anything they'd surely already be in the hall of fame (which is currently a bit of a joke):

While checking how our the venerable Dai Oni measures up to these upstarts, I noticed something peculiar about UwU's chaos power rating:

Spoiler: Something seems off... (click to show/hide)

The Dai Oni has chaos power 1, which gives 1 point of def/att/speed per Turmoil and per 15 unrest, and this is in a province with 3 Turmoil and 17 unrest. However, in Dom5, I'm like 95% sure this was capped to +3 regardless of unrest, but in Dom6 it seems to be uncapped (or maybe the cap is higher). Is it a bug/oversight? Who knows. Is it hilariously exploitable for us? Hopefully we get a chance to find out.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2024, 11:35:04 pm »

Rip mound king. Maybe he's gone off to have wacky and wild adventures, and will return a hero when you need him the most.

I think that chaos power goes to 5 because scales can go to 5 now, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

I've also heard that the arena rewards are a bit better, not sure if they are worth it, but maybe some extra stuff alongside your cursed "prize"? Maybe.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 11:37:16 pm by Criptfeind »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4