Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dominions 6 Release Day Playthrough [Singleplayer, EA Yomi]  (Read 4254 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 6 Release Day Playthrough [Singleplayer, EA Yomi]
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2024, 02:10:18 pm »

Chaos Power definitely had a maximum of +3 in 5, so I also think that in 6 it goes up to +5 due to the scales changes. Something to check out when you get enough turmoil in a province, I suppose.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2024, 10:49:56 pm »

I think that chaos power goes to 5 because scales can go to 5 now, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.
Chaos Power definitely had a maximum of +3 in 5, so I also think that in 6 it goes up to +5 due to the scales changes. Something to check out when you get enough turmoil in a province, I suppose.

This does seem more likely than the insane possibility of it being uncapped (though a man can dream). Still, an extra +2 att/def/speed for all of our Oni is very significant for Yomi (it particularly complements another beneficial change that I'll hopefully be able to show later).

Turn 13

In this version of the tournament the participants are allowed to cast spells, creating possibilities for all sorts of things happening.
Our champion UwU didn't get the memo, and the only possibility that'll be happening is walking up to people and hitting them in the face (I scripted him to cast nothing, not even wasting time on a self-bless).

Spoiler: Final Round! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Arena result! (click to show/hide)

Honestly, not bad! I know I talked smack about the rewards, but I'm happy with this (it helps that UwU is freakishly tall, making head protection less important as most units will not be able to reach their head in melee). I think(?) luck is useless on demons, we already get awe from our bless, and commander buffs aren't particularly attractive on a Dai Oni, but just getting "quickness" early is worth it.

And hey, Dom6 now sweetening the pot with money and gems certainly doesn't go amiss, right!

Spoiler: Right..? (click to show/hide)

Hmm. You know, it says I got 433 gold and 19 fire gems, but it sure doesn't feel like I got 433 gold and 19 fire gems.
I'm sure we can trust it. The check's in the mail, I'm sure.

In addition to the headgear, UwU also gained a massive amount of experience for winning.

With this, I think the Chosen One who will liberate us from those freaking wolves in Strong Port has finally been found. Frankly, at this point I think UwU is basically unkillable by ordinary combat (even with our paltry spell selection and lack of crafted equipment). They could probably solo that enormous throne next to our capital with just a little more equipment and magic research.

Since all of the other nations sent priests in (and blessed themselves, unlike us) we got to see every nation's bless.

Unfortunately, the AI is still terrible at creating blesses, and none of them are worth even sharing. They're all just random collections of garbage, if anything at all (granted, I suspect some may be missing "incarnate" effects that will require their god awakening).

The diplomacy view also shows Helheim now having an opinion of us, suggesting we now share a border.

I even spent a ruinous 60g on a bad goblin scout, which can we now send out there.

Some other stuff happened. We now have two out of our three national heroes (a ghost and a cannibal):

Spoiler: Spooky general (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cannibal general (click to show/hide)

(Masatora arrived last turn, but I forgot to mention it, while Tsunekage arrived this turn.)

They're both very effective leaders (though our third national hero is more useful); Masatora is an improved version of a ghostly commander that can be summoned by Yomi, and Tsunekage is an improved version of our "Demon General" commanders. I'll keep them both in the capital until I can recruit enough goblins to do something with them.

This is also the turn we should break into the underwater, using our second Dai Oni that finished this turn:

Spoiler: Map overview (click to show/hide)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2024, 11:27:02 pm »

Congrats UwU. What a hero. Turns out the secret ultimate mage arena technique this whole time was just walking up to dudes and stabbing them. GL with underwater and those wolves.

I think(?) luck is useless on demons

This one made me really unsure for a bit. I'm was pretty confident luck works on normal demons, it doesn't work on undead or inanimate because a 75% chance to prevent death isn't too useful for them, but demons are some sorta living beings. Yomi demons on the other hand made me scratch my head, because they don't die, they turn into ghosts, who are undead, who luck won't work on. In the end I had to go and test it to see if the transition from demon to ghost can trigger luck, and it does indeed count as death and thus luck works to prevent the hit that would turn a yomi demon into a ghost.

Now I'm really interested to know that if other critters with dying or wounded shapes trigger luck to prevent the transformation if it doesn't transform into undead. My guess is that it would prevent the change, but  I'm unsure and I'll leave testing that  to someone else.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 11:36:41 pm by Criptfeind »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2024, 05:13:58 pm »

I think(?) luck is useless on demons

This one made me really unsure for a bit. I'm was pretty confident luck works on normal demons, it doesn't work on undead or inanimate because a 75% chance to prevent death isn't too useful for them, but demons are some sorta living beings. Yomi demons on the other hand made me scratch my head, because they don't die, they turn into ghosts, who are undead, who luck won't work on. In the end I had to go and test it to see if the transition from demon to ghost can trigger luck, and it does indeed count as death and thus luck works to prevent the hit that would turn a yomi demon into a ghost.

Now I'm really interested to know that if other critters with dying or wounded shapes trigger luck to prevent the transformation if it doesn't transform into undead. My guess is that it would prevent the change, but  I'm unsure and I'll leave testing that  to someone else.

Good to know. If I'm not mistaken, one fun thing with a similar edge case is that the "Undying" bless effect works with Oni in the way one would hope (at least in Dom5), where finishing the battle with negative HP in demon-form doesn't kill the Oni (though I'm not sure if this is also true of any demon, or perhaps actually true of any shapeshifter).

Turn 14 - War!

We got to enjoy what, 2, maybe 3 turns of our full income, and then this happens:

They're led by this insufferable do-gooder who sailed here over the ocean (and seems to have mistaken us for the Fomorians):

This was not only our richest non-capital province, it cuts off 3 of our other provinces that were also a large part of our income. We could reconnect them by taking Strong Port, but UwU unfortunately needs to defend Winter Peaks for now (I was also going to build a lab in Winter Peaks this turn, given that it's a hills province that can produce Namanari, but this unfortunate occurrence  caused our budget to drop far enough to not afford the 600g). Note that despite the map's appearance, Winter Peaks does not border our capital, putting UwU two turns away from Strong Port (I also had UwU search Winter Peaks last turn on the off chance we get a free lab or fort out of it).

A consolation is that we did find a similarly rich province in the west (with both a 150g/turn gold mine and a 40g/turn arena), though we need to pull the rather battered force back from expanding in that direction to adequately contain this army (and also halt planned expansion in the north).

Think about it, I'm kind of surprised Tir na n'Og could even know this province existed and invade it, given the new mechanic obscuring unexplored territory from the map. Perhaps the AI is free from worrying about such trifles, or maybe they legitimately scouted it already (the latter would mean they must be quite close).

Speaking of trifles, maybe my 443 gold and 19 fire gems from winning that tournament have arrived by now.

Oh... ok... I guess I didn't need the money anyway...

Taking the underwater province was a real nail biter, right on the edge. A swarm of unusually well-armored Tritons against an inexperienced Dai Oni with crap magic, no equipment, and the various penalties they face for fighting underwater is too close for comfort, so the turn before I at least crafted a "Thorn Staff" to give them (crafting a crappy spear and an even worse buckler was the original plan, but I cheaped out and settled for this):

It's the sort of weapon that seems like filler that nobody would ever use unless acquired for free, but in our case it felt worth crafting due to giving our Dai Oni an extra +2 defense as well as a length-4 weapon that they could repel the Tritons' spears with (large units like Dai Oni get +1 to weapon length on top of this thing's length of 3). Well, worth it given our lack of economical other options at this stage (I was only willing to spend nature gems, and we only have access to Construction 3 "lesser items" equipment). Marginal as this might seem, I think it did actually make the difference between life and death here, as by the end the Dai Oni was getting seriously battered down by harassment penalties to defense and only finished the battle with 24/65 health left (thankfully no afflictions). Our reward?

Spoiler: Yes, they're here! (click to show/hide)

These water-2 mages have a 10% chance of also having fire 1 and a separate 10% chance of also having nature 1. They're very useful underwater casters, good for site searching, good for crafting, and the random paths could be used to break into higher summoned mages if needed (though our pretender has that covered in this case).

It might end up provoking Atlantis to have invaded their cap circle (hey, it's my cap circle too buddy) but I'm really not worried about that. It might seem strange to say given how weak we are, but I feel like with just 2 Dai Oni we could roll them (even underwater). Taking their capital would be harder, but I could bring in skeletons to take down the walls fairly cheaply. There's an alternative world where instead of making a pact with them we just immediately attack, and I think it might actually be the better one (though I don't mind the pact either, given our other... setbacks).

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2024, 06:42:15 am »

Darn elves. GL taking them on.

New update, some of the patch notes are interesting for this game

• Oni phantasmal weapons -> spectral weapons
• Oni spirit forms have their item slots back
• Arena didn’t give gold and gems, fixed

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2024, 04:10:55 pm »

Darn elves. GL taking them on.

New update, some of the patch notes are interesting for this game

• Oni phantasmal weapons -> spectral weapons
• Oni spirit forms have their item slots back
• Arena didn’t give gold and gems, fixed

I was glad to see these fixed/reverted (there is still the change preventing Oni spirits from benefiting from stoneskin etc, which seems strange to me given that Yomi has a unique spell giving barkskin to all its demons, but at least our Dai Oni will keep their crafted armor and weapons if they die). I'll copy the full patch notes here:

Spoiler: 1/24/24 update (click to show/hide)

Turn 15

Tir na n'Og diverts to the east rather than attacking UwU in the north, meaning UwU can return to the capital next turn to pick up some equipment before fighting the wolves. Our second Dai Oni (named OwO) returned from the sea (someone else can go build the underwater lab) and while in the capital he picks up some new equipment of his own:

The "Fire Plate" armor piece reduces protection by 2 compared to the Dai Oni's default "heavy samurai armor", but more than makes up for this with its much lesser defense, encumbrance, and map move penalties (the default armor gives a massive -3 defense, +4 encumbrance, and -6 map move for its +18 protection). The other effects like +2 morale, +4 HP (new to Dom5), +5 fire resistance, and the fact that it'll stay equipped if the Dai Oni dies and turns into a ghost (as of today, if the patch notes didn't lie) are nice extra things as well. There's also very little else we can use our fire gems for beyond crafting basic equipment like this; at the moment I'd also certainly rather spend fire gems than our more precious earth gems, which last turn were all used to craft our first "Dwarven Hammer" (an item that reduces the gem cost of forging items by a flat -2).

The "Boots of Long Strides" meanwhile are a trinket-level item that's in my opinion the single most useful piece of equipment for Dai Oni that lack some other combat speed increase. Without something boosting their combat speed a Dai Oni is often unlikely to contribute much when fighting alongside an army, as the battle will otherwise be effectively over by the time they finish their script and reach the front. However, they should be somewhat more effective at reaching the front in general now, due to a change in Dom6 that allows "giant" units to displace smaller friendly units when moving forward (though I haven't yet seen this in action).

These two piece of equipment also increase map move, allowing OwO to skip two provinces and try to take back our rich southern port province this turn:

We also now border Pyrene in the northwest; if we hadn't withdrawn an army, we would have gotten in an accidental fight with them over Midria this turn (a shame we didn't, I'm curious what the diplomatic outcome of that would've been).

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2024, 04:15:35 pm »

Maybe the elves will kill the wolves for you?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2024, 09:27:08 pm »

Maybe the elves will kill the wolves for you?

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if I learned that Vanheim already tried and failed with some small force (maybe Atlantis even tried as well). This group from Tir doesn't look too tough; I'd give it even odds the wolves would win.

Turn 16

As it happens, Tir na n'Og's ill-advised expeditionary force keeps going west, killing more of my province defense. There's one remaining province of mine in the area, "Baccar", and I'm like 90% sure they'll target it next turn:

(In the province that they just took it looks like they got the random event that gives a level 2 priest and a bunch of militia, funnily enough; most of their other units are "invisible" to scouting due to having the "glamour" effect.)

It turns out that both UwU and OwO have enough map move that they can reinforce Baccar, despite the extra movement costs of passing through a province I don't own. UwU alone could probably handle them, but I'd rather not chance it (regrettably, this means listening to the freaking wolves laugh all night for yet another month).

UwU has their new equipment, another "Fire Plate" plus two weapons:

Spoiler: Spear and dagger (click to show/hide)

The spear's just a spear really, but the "Main Gauche of Parrying" giving +6 defense is nice. Ordinarily wielding a length-3 weapon alongside another weapon would give a -3 attack penalty, but UwU's "heroic ability" (from being in the Hall of Fame) is "Extraordinary Agility", which is currently giving him Ambidextrous +3 (this negates the dual-wielding penalty) as well as granting some extra attack and defense. This means UwU has two attacks per round (4 with the "quickness" gained from winning the tournament), while gaining defense similar to the benefit of a good shield, and on top of all this they have the ability to repel most common weapons using the spear's high length (repelling can be overcome by a morale check, however).

After this and chucking his old armor, UwU's defense rating rose to an outrageous 30, making him nearly impossible to hit in melee (being stunned or exerting himself over 100 fatigue will make it possible, though). There will be better weapons later, but these are more than enough for now (we could maybe do something goofy with UwU later, like give him a whip alongside some other weapon, or give him extra arms to hold even more unnecessary weapons).

With the two Dai Oni able to handle the west (provided Tir na n'Og walks into the trap) the army I pulled in to help can expand along the southern coast instead. One of these provinces has another entrance to the underground plane, which my dominion has scouted out a bit more.

From what I can see, the new cave terrain types are:

Cave: (low income)
River: (high income) {can overlap with others}
Drip Cave: (excellent resources)
Crystal Cave: (low income, excellent resources, many more magic sites)
Cave Forest: (high income, low resources, more magic sites)

And let me tell you, some of these underground provinces are bonkers:

Those two bizarrely rich provinces are accessible from an entrance adjacent to our capital (I assumed that the "Iron Caverns" province only connected to the throne, but that was a quirk of our God senses revealing the throne locations).

I'd like to make a research detour into Enchantment 3 for the "Fire Shield" spell (which would make fighting undead trivial for the Dai Oni, whereas it's currently quite dangerous), but this would delay Construction 5 by 2-3 turns (itself an agonizing 5-6 turns away, and vital for accelerating our research afterward). That said, UwU with their new equipment and tournament win may still be able to handle these particular undead (a mere "120" unarmed soulless and ghouls), though it's still a bit risky. Ghouls at least aren't mindless, and thus are affected by "fear" and "awe".

Speaking of caves, we also now border Agartha (visible on the southwest of the above map). I think the smart thing to do would be to send non-aggression pact requests to all these people and attack the odd man out (or just build up forever in peace), but I also feel like that just isn't the Dominions experience I'm looking for. I'm not about to start anything with Helheim, but attacking Agartha and Pyrene isn't off the table.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 09:28:51 pm by WealthyRadish »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2024, 10:28:42 pm »

I've always been fond of only fighting one war at a time, but I've always been a little odd...

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2024, 11:16:24 pm »

Obligatory 'Shields provide parry, not defense' comment, though apparently there's one shield that actually does increase defence by 2.

Anyways, 30 defence is definitely a silly amount. I'm not sure how harassment is reduced at high values, but it looks like your bless is good enough for it to never reach that point. At least against ordinary units. Just need to worry about mindless ones, I guess.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2024, 12:31:05 am »

Turn 17

As expected, Tir na n'Og attacks Baccar (into the arms of our waiting Dai Oni):

Routing them like this will allow us a clean finish next turn, eliminating what's left of the army and the provinces they took with our two Dai Oni in Baccar:

Well, I say "clean", but there are still a couple weird things that could happen. The enemy commander wasn't killed in the battle and probably survived the retreat; it's possible they could attack Baccar again (dumb as it seems), or attack Ephesibor (note that their best troops are invisible on the map due to having "glamour"). Attacking Baccar would either result in their army slipping past the Dai Oni moving in the opposite direction, or the game picking which army successfully moves based on an obscure "army size" calculation. This would be particularly annoying because there's a stranded Namanari in Baccar who I had blood hunting (for lack of anything better to do), and wouldn't you know it: they found 11 blood slaves. I'm not about to waste money on high province defense just to hedge this weird possibility, but we can evacuate the Namanari by giving her OwO's boots and having her slip through the Fur Zone back to the capital (a Mound King can ferry the boots back to OwO later, now that mounted Mound Kings have feet in Dom6).

Meanwhile, we can hedge against them attacking Ephesibor easily by splitting a small detachment off the army that just cleared Barme. Moving a small force to Ephesibor is fine anyway, because I'd like to clear the moderately high unrest caused by it changing hands twice (and this lovely event):

The tax collector's disappearance in our richest province means we can't afford both a temple and a water mage this turn; I prioritize the water mage, though our lack of freespawn Oni from temples is going to be felt acutely soon (especially given that we can't afford to rely on our ruinously expensive 5g goblins either, despite them being perhaps the most cost-effective unit in the entire game).

Thinking more about our research priorities, I did end up diverting into Enchantment 3. The 100+ ghouls and soulless guarding our entrance to the mushroom kingdom may not seem like a threat compared to UwU's capabilities, but what still nags at my mind is the special fatigue effect that ghouls have on their attacks:

Spoiler: "Paralyzing Poison" (click to show/hide)

It might not seem like a big deal, but I've 100% lost Dai Oni to this in the past. UwU would almost certainly be fine, but the stakes are bit high for "almost" (whereas fire shield will trivialize all encounters with basic undead forevermore, even for lesser Dai Oni than UwU).

And finally, our goblin scouts (which literally cost more than their weight in gold) have revealed some information about Helheim, who looks like they're having a bad time with Muspelheim in the east:

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2024, 11:05:31 pm »

Turn 18

Tir na n'Og did indeed hopelessly attempt to attack Baccar with the remnants of their army (one of the "weird" cases). The game resolved the two hostile forces moving into each other by halting our Dai Oni's attack, which delays eliminating the last of their force by another turn (but it should be essentially impossible that they aren't finished this turn):

It looks like Helheim had actually pushed fairly far east prior to being pushed back by Muspelheim:

We're also treated to the somewhat terrifying sight of watching Helheim obliterate a large group of barbarians without taking a single casualty:

We take our first province underground (unfortunately not in the vicinity of the incredibly rich cave forest provinces), and interestingly it seems that in Dom6 cave terrain counts alongside hills/mountains for recruiting Yomi's goblins and Namanari:

IIRC, caves in Dom5 would provide the best Yomi freespawn from temples (as in hills/mountains) but would not allow recruiting Namanari and goblins.

Things are going quite well, with enough income coming in that we should be able to build an additional lab next turn while maintaining mage recruitment (I've also switched to recruiting Sorcerers instead of the cheaper Namanari in anticipation of finally researching Construction 5 within 4-5 turns).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 11:10:52 pm by WealthyRadish »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2024, 09:05:36 pm »

Turn 19

(but it should be essentially impossible that they aren't finished this turn)

With the annoyance caused by Tir na n'Og now resolv-

Spoiler: Oh (click to show/hide)

This is quite funny to me. What happened is exactly the "two armies slip past each other" scenario I mentioned just two turns ago, and back then I even acted on this possibility by carefully evacuating a Namanari out of the danger zone. And yet, last turn, with the stakes lowered I immediately just thought "bleh, they're surely finished by now, nothing to worry about". Dominions is certainly a game that forces the player to be meticulous.

This is the sort of nightmare we will need to deal with regularly if Vanheim starts showing up on our shores, so perhaps it's good to have a reminder of just how annoying these small raiding forces can be to eliminate if we aren't careful enough.

Well, not that it needed to be this annoying. This could have been prevented easily last turn by instead moving the detachment in Ephesibor to Temiglia, defending Baccar with a Dai Oni, and attacking Ferran Mountains with the second Dai Oni. This turn we now need to defend 3 provinces instead of two, while only having 3 "armies" (and it's also necessary for one of these "armies" to go on the attack and finish this). The regrettable but necessary solution is to spend a bunch of money on province defense to cover one of the provinces (while defending the other two and attacking with a Dai Oni).

If this wasn't enough, I also hastily sent our newly-summoned second Mound King down to Temiglia on a mission to return OwO's boots (after lending them to the evacuating Namanari). They thankfully retreated, but less thankfully vanished into thin air just like our last Mound King (boots and all). This tells me there is very likely some horrific bug at play here that prevents Mound Kings in particular from retreating, and I don't plan on summoning any more until something promising shows up in the patch notes.

For gathering up our freespawn Oni we'll need to rely on slower and more expensive commanders (and hope they don't also have this problem retreating; Tir na n'Og's commander sure hasn't). A "Bane" can be summoned for 7 death gems at Conjuration 3, who is also a better general (though they have less map move and are over twice the cost of a Mound King).

While I was reading up on bugs in Dom6 I also came across something saying that units are currently not dying of disease over time. I've been keeping an eye on the scout reports for that throne by our capital to see if the dragon defending it has died yet, but that will probably never happen. This is slightly concerning if only because that dragon was stacked with water gems (meaning it can summon massive and deadly water elementals), which is another "no go" for a lone Dai Oni (I would have happily sent UwU in there alone now that we have Fire Shield).

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2024, 09:39:56 pm »

I've heard of a disappearing mound king before on discord but didn't realize it was so common, in fact with a bit of testing it seems like it happens every time. I've not noticed it in the bug thread from a quick check, I guess I'll do a post there, sad for your demon boys leadership I guess.

Praying for more dead elves, maybe you can join the giants.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 09:43:40 pm by Criptfeind »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2024, 05:47:16 am »

Sounds like a feature, if only the mound king didn't require those valuable death gems.  Oh well, there must be Mound somewhere with too many kings.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4