Dwarf Fortress > DF Adventure Mode Discussion

"You can't travel because you are carrying someone

(1/3) > >>

Kintak:
I traded 6000 worth of goods for a 1100 worth plate mail by accident, and the plate mail doesn't even show up in my inventory. I get pissed an enact my own version of the law by smashing the cheating merchant to pieces, then stealing back what was owed.
Now I can't travel even though I made a clean getaway. Why is this? It seems unfair and unrealistic.This could have been avoided with a currency system.    :(
(By the way, I also bought a bunch of food which didn't show up in my inventory. There's something wrong with the current IOU system.)My rampage ended with stumbling upon an army gathered in the town hall, where I was savagely ripped to pieces.
I am forever remembered as Kado Growermirrored the Violent Devourer of Seizing.[ November 01, 2007: Message edited by: Kintak ]

gloogorshkin:
When you buy something, it becomes yours.  You just have to pick it up (at least in the previous version you did, so I assume it's still the same).  So that armor you bought shouldn't just show up in your inventory.  It should be on a table in the shop, most likely.

Kintak:
Ah. I'm not used to that so I didn't even consider it.
Rampage was fun though.Still, you should be able to steal things without suffering from side-effects besides for being a wanted man. If it's too easy, maybe there should be more guards. If the consequences still aren't enough, maybe towns should hold communications with each other so if you're wanted in a certain town, you might also become wanted in another certain town.In fact, speaking of that, it would be cool if there was a public wanted list and you could hunt down criminals if you so chose.[ November 01, 2007: Message edited by: Kintak ]

BDR:
Yeah, this bug sucks.  AFAICT, it's an artifact of the old version, where you used to only need to reach the edge of the map for the game to recognize you as having left the area and thus successfully stealing things such that you own them forever.  Now that there's no edge on the map, the game still technically believes you to be in the town for the purposes of figuring out whether the stuff you have is yours or not even though you've left the town on the world map, which obviously causes problems.  Also, yeah, you need to actually head over to stuff you buy and pick it up; it won't end up in your inventory automatically (a little inconvenient, but I kind of like the realism).  Also also, more intelligent handling of crime and punishment for evil adventurers is in the dev notes (but first thing that will be handled are the armies!).

RogerN:
quote:When you buy something, it becomes yours. You just have to pick it up (at least in the previous version you did, so I assume it's still the same). So that armor you bought shouldn't just show up in your inventory. It should be on a table in the shop, most likely.Alas, my poor human maceman inadvertently became an outlaw because of the confusing merchant system.  I had bought an iron helm from a merchant, and went over to pick it up... but there were two, and apparently I picked up the wrong one.  Guards instantly began to treat me as hostile.Frustratingly enough, even after I killed every single human in the entire town, I still couldn't travel  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version