Dwarf Fortress > DF General Discussion

Hypothetical human mode

(1/1)

gordfitzgerald:
Some recent thoughts came to my mind after downloading and actively using a world which diversifies the human culture in worldgen called Immersive Civs: Alternative Humans, as well as using the Age of Man mod, a reasonably good attempt in my opinion to make a human version of fortress mode. After using it for some time, I've come across an interview posted by Blind a few months back that stated human mode would be systematically different from fortress mode.

I just wanna gauge the opinion of the forum and see what people might expect from this differing mode? Seeing how humans are usually spread out on the map with their massive cities and castles, I could wonder whether this playable space difference would be applied to the hypothetical human mode? Perhaps an improvement in diplomacy in order to trade for goods not sourced by your own fief like a big complex game of Catan where your human diplomats could arrange trade deals depending on how competent they are. Towns can focus on a single industry and utilize larger workplaces which produce more materials into workable blocks for construction like a sawmill (like in age of man) and be able to send caravan abroad to exchange goods for the town's bulk goods (cities may be able to produce an assortment of materials and products while castles may produce a miniscule amount of one).

Or perhaps a castle mode where you focus little on economics (your liege would reward your castle's levy's service with food and seed as well as coin) and instead you raise an army of human fighters. Nobles would consist of your typical bureaucratic roles but no hammer-dwarves or captain of the guards of the human equivalent aside from the single lord who rules over the castle. Every so often, your king would send a message which would ask you to do a world map mission with your force; whether it be to the benefit of your survival or not. Missions like raids and razing would be asked of but perhaps a new "patrol" order can be issued which allows your dispatched force to patrol a town's area or a road to rid of bandit camps and wilderness beasts.

Perhaps maybe one day when mounted units become a reality you could elevate commanders to a "knight" who would be able to found a holding that would be economically tied to your human town/castle. Anyways, I am just spitballing ideas that could perhaps get the gears rolling.

This is wishful thinking on my part, but nothing is impossible  :)

I know this sound's like undwarfy heresy on my part, but what do you think should be a mechanic in a "human mode" for dwarf fortress?

Shonai_Dweller:
It's right there in the original design notes. So not a completely outrageous idea.

--- Quote ---HUMAN TOWN: You should be able to control a human town, as you control a dwarf fortress, but with changes appropriate to the new setting. Related to Req469 and Bloat146.
--- End quote ---

gordfitzgerald:

--- Quote ---HUMAN TOWN: You should be able to control a human town, as you control a dwarf fortress, but with changes appropriate to the new setting. Related to Req469 and Bloat146.
--- End quote ---

I could only wonder what kind of changes were being discussed about this. Any in particular would be interesting, especially what they thought about such an idea. My ideas have no mind towards the coding aspect of it as i have never done coding outside of some in-game editors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version