Dwarf Fortress > DF Community Games & Stories

Angelcradles, a dying Civilization.

(1/1)

MarcyMuffins:
Preface: The first two "episodes" of this story were posted on Reddit, after which a kind person suggested I post it here, too. Do say if there's some rule I'm breaking or the formatting is wrong- Haven't used a forum like this yet.

Now! It all started once I generated a world with 2000 megabeasts, 1000 semi megabeasts and 500 titans, and let it run for 250 years...

Welcome to Sil Minbaz, "The Plane of Enchanting". Sounds catchy, eh? Well, some of the dwarves would disagree.

Three of them, to be precise. Living in a world that hates them, 7 brave dwarves (all volunteers from an unrelated settlement, clearly) embarked on their journey to found Angelcradles.
(This comes from the perspective of the expedition leader, Sodel Taremustuth "Fatefences")
Welcome to Angelcradles. Come, quickly! Before the undead spot you! Armok knows we could use the extra hands.

It's been a tough year for us here. We haven't heard a word from our Queen, but it doesn't look to good no matter how you look at it. Last we heard, she and two others were hiding from the beasts among the elves. How the Raw Knives have fallen...

Us seven ventured far to settle here, in the Armored Hills, hoping more would join the cause against this cursed land. There's a dozen goblin pits just a day's walk to the east, and four necromancer towers right on our doorstep. Nobody said it would be easy.

In the first year, nine more have joined us, but since then, only a caravan from our homeland has had time to visit us. "The world is the same as ever." Sparing us the bad news, I would think.

Ah yes, the siege- I believe you've noticed the rotting undead on your way here. We've spotted them only a few weeks ago and had been on lockdown ever since.

Thankfully we had the foresight to prepare. You don't survive surrounded by necromancers and goblins without being smart. We've stocked up on wood and animals, got enough pens for the hens and a drawbridge to keep those rotting bastards out. Managed to build a roof just in time, too!

Please ignore the unkempt state of our fort, we haven't much time to smooth things out, so to speak. Your help will be very much appreciated down here.

The tunnel? Ah, you've got a sharp eye. That there is the key to our survival down here, and I don't say this lightly. Our brave miners and mechanics have managed to curb nature itself and divert a river to run through our fortress. With a pull of a single lever, it brings us fresh water and means to power our machines, once the waterwheels are in place.

We know the caverns are near. We hear the skittering of the creatures beneath our feet, and it won't be long until we must delve deeper and deeper in order to survive... but who knows? Perhaps the monsters below would prove a greater threat than the beasts above.

MaiseNow:
I was the one who suggested you post here. Glad to see you finally made it! Your river diversion is impressive. But then again, I'm not very experienced at liquids management so I tend to just dfhack in a single well's worth of water and that's it lmao

Maloy:
Very neat! We are attempting a community fort of similar scale! Bring back those extinct dwarves and put them on top of the world!

Merrygin:
Very cool, always love a good dying civ comeback.

RedNetherBrikk:
I'm working making a "story-fort" myself; this is great inspiration! I'm getting used to using these forums and reading everyone's forts and this was nice to see :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version