Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Finding rivers

(1/2) > >>

Garfunkel:
There does not seem to be a way to filter out streams and brooks in the site finder in 50.12 version. I'm trying to embark on a major river with iron and flux, and the results are quite numerous since the game includes all streams and maybe brooks too.

Also, is there a way to help world gen generate more major rivers?

da_nang:
If DF imitates life: more rainfall, less drainage, maybe less elevation X/Y variance. Basically, more water and a larger watershed ought to lead to more major rivers. You'll probably also need more land tiles for that, so either larger map size or go for continent maps.

Salsa Gal:
I believe there are also some tricks with erosion to make more rivers, more erosion makes the banks wear down more and makes the rivers expand if I remember correctly

marcbyrne:
BlindIRL has a series of tutorials on YouTube about world generation.  One of them specifically covers getting more and larger rivers.  He even does a few example worlds to see the results. 

I have found that the embark map won't always be accurate with its label of stream.  But maybe i'm underestimating the range of size the game considers a stream.

Anyway, point is, the tutorial was very helpful to me in getting my desired results from world gen.

Salsa Gal:

--- Quote from: marcbyrne on March 20, 2024, 03:51:57 pm ---BlindIRL has a series of tutorials on YouTube about world generation.  One of them specifically covers getting more and larger rivers.  He even does a few example worlds to see the results.

--- End quote ---

Yeah that's exactly where I got the erosion trick from haha

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version