Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Frazzled with the update (adventure type)  (Read 698 times)

Reports

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Frazzled with the update (adventure type)
« on: November 02, 2007, 04:35:00 pm »

Human towns are spread out as all sin, and I'm lucky if I find one building other than the Town Hall, which I'm forced to go to (death sentence for outlaw player-types).

Dwarf fortresses are, likewise, well hidden, and as soon as I find one the thing is so massive that I'm lucky to find one peasant milling about, and if I'm an outlaw I can't travel after I get lost in their enormous depth trying to find prey (unsuccessfully).

caves, towers, whatevers are also impossible to find.

Also, performance (fps) has dropped considerably.

Am I just stupid?  Is no one else experiencing such frustrations?

I'm aware that this is a new update, but I'd simply like to air my grievances.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Frazzled with the update (adventure type)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »

Maybe as a criminal, you could start in the square adjacent to the city square, then move into the city in the standard mode, rather than the travel mode. It would be basically sneaking into town rather than marching in.

Kintak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 05:31:00 pm »

I agree that towns need to be more condensed, or at least have a minimap of some sort laying out the buildings. It's hard to find what you want.

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 05:51:00 pm »

Lag's been taken care of as far as the Z-axis is concerned (which is good considering adventurers can't simply ignore the third dimension if they wish) in the newest (33a) release, and the outlaw situation gets far worse when you add on the fact that you effectively can't take anything from towns anymore (unless you don't mind traveling everywhere on foot and never being able to look at the world map again).  I also agree that towns need to either be condensed more or get a mini-map.
A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Magirot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 07:18:00 pm »

You can somehow navigate in towns by checking the place-name at the lower panel. If the name of the town changes to something else, you're going to wrong direction.

As for finding caves and dungeons:

quote:
Originally posted by Red Bean:
I think what Mr. Toady means is that when you are already at the site, use the Quest log and hit z while your current quest is selected.  It will then show you a zoomed out view of the area you're in, with the general direction you need to go highlighted.

At least narrows the search a bit.