Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Masterwork armour  (Read 506 times)

HoD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Masterwork armour
« on: July 22, 2007, 06:00:00 am »

ok, small question for the helpful.

If I have a bunch of masterwork armour (one full suit) and a bunch of other armour, of the same type, and I want one dwarf to wear the full suit of masterwork, is it as simple as telling him to wear the item type, and he will go for the best type, or will he simply take the nearest armour type?

hat?

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork armour
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 06:45:00 am »

He just takes the closest pieces to him. Currently you cant separate stockpiles by quality type, but in the next version you will.

I don't really have any tips to help out, I'm having a similar problem.

Dryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 07:16:00 am »

Here is a idea off the top of my head (in other words it may not be the most practical, especially if you have lots of armour).

Make it so that all your armour is worn. TTake masterwork one off whoever is wearing it (by reducing his armour level). Then go tell the dwarf you want to wear the masterwork armour to put armour on. The masterwork is the only option so he will take it.

You come back from the mansions of sleep with your pockets full of silverware.

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 08:02:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dryn:
<STRONG>
Make it so that all your armour is worn.
</STRONG>

My guess is that this is the bottleneck. Maybe make it so that all armour is either worn or behind closed doors?

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 10:03:00 am »

I do it via the following extremely labour-intensive method:
Say you want your dwarf to pick up only a masterpiece steel plate mail. Dig out two fairly large rooms, connected by doors.
Create an armour stockpile inside room one, set to use no bins, and to accept only steel plate mails. Wait until a masterpiece steel plate mail has been hauled to the stockpile (along with, probably, a few exceptional ones).
Now, let a hauler go inside, and lock the door connecting these two rooms to the outside world. Create a 1x1 armour stockpile inside room two, and un-designate all the empty stockpile spaces inside room one, as well as the one square which contains the masterpiece steel plate mail. After a few moments, the trapped hauler will do the only job available to him, which is to haul the masterpiece mail from room one onto the square in room two.
Now, open the door and let the hauler out, and send your soldier into room two. Lock the door and tell him to wear plate. The only item he'll be able to find will be the masterpiece steel plate mail, so he'll put that on.
By repeating the first steps a few times, you'll be able to make sure room two is filled with a full set of masterpiece steel armour, shield, and weapon, and you can make sure your soldier will suit up in only the best of the best.
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

grendel

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 10:06:00 am »

I can tell you a couple of ways to get him to wear only the good stuff.   :)

1) Melt all of the non-masterwork pieces. This probably isn't the best option.

2) Undesignate your armor stockpiles and relocate them to a room that has its own door and can be easily sealed off. Now, undesignate every empty square in your stockpile. Once this is done, undesignate all of the squares with masterpiece items on them, and make a new stockpile for armor somewhere in your fortress. If you've done everything right, all of the masterpieces will be taken to this new stockpile. Once your dwarves have finished moving everything, lock the door on the room full of crappy armor and order your dwarves to get their gear. Voila.

It's tedious, but it's a good workaround.

edit: God damn it, Furious Fish. By three minutes.  :mad:

[ July 22, 2007: Message edited by: grendel ]

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 10:10:00 am »

Heh. Damn, I was feeling smug about the fact that no-one else seemed to have thought of it  :)
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

HoD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 10:30:00 am »

Heh, i'll just put all the masterwork armour up for trade, then create a stockpile nearby just for it.
hat?