Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yeast magic?  (Read 333 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yeast magic?
« on: June 26, 2024, 12:56:34 pm »

Okay, I have been reading A Wizard's Guide To Defensive Baking and Beers & Beards, and long suggestion short - can we have magic related to beer brewing and bread baking?  I assume Dwarfs will get SOME kind of magic and figured that would be something they would REALLY like.  Besides magic dealing with metal and mining.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Yeast magic?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2024, 01:14:29 pm »

I like this idea. In the recent interview with Blindirl Putnam mentioned different alcoholic beverages should have different strengths, so it might be something she intends to do/suggest to Toady already. If what she said about dwarven wine is true in that it would be a very low alcohol content, dwarves would naturally want to use something like this to increase the alcohol content of the wine when produced by someone with the knowledge of that magic. I could imagine a magic effect like a 1.5x multiplier on syndrome strengths being applied, maybe specific to certain syndrome effects or not. Ideally that's something that would be done to the wine item as it is produced at the still, but I don't know how the game could track that without producing a separate material. It would have to be some new item property like quality levels added to items that tracks a multiplier applied to them that gets applied to syndromes stemming from that item.

Dwarves don't know how to bake bread properly, and that's a shame. They could bake bread creatures and stuff. Pastry golems. Dough boys.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2024, 02:27:54 pm »

They could bake bread creatures and stuff. Pastry golems. Dough boys.

Gingerbread men.

We need those in the game.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2024, 06:30:10 pm »

Gingerbread men.

We need those in the game.

You reading the same books?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 06:32:37 pm by callisto8413 »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 06:39:04 pm »

I like this idea. In the recent interview with Blindirl Putnam mentioned different alcoholic beverages should have different strengths, so it might be something she intends to do/suggest to Toady already. If what she said about dwarven wine is true in that it would be a very low alcohol content, dwarves would naturally want to use something like this to increase the alcohol content of the wine when produced by someone with the knowledge of that magic.

Dwarves don't know how to bake bread properly, and that's a shame. They could bake bread creatures and stuff. Pastry golems. Dough boys.

The first point is pretty correct.  Brewing in the Middle Ages was hit or miss.  With open vats and a lot of batches likely were undrinkable.

And maybe beard nets.

Also, I was thinking less bread golems and more pretzels and other salty snacks to go with their drinks.   ;)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2024, 10:14:38 pm »

I like this idea. In the recent interview with Blindirl Putnam mentioned different alcoholic beverages should have different strengths, so it might be something she intends to do/suggest to Toady already. If what she said about dwarven wine is true in that it would be a very low alcohol content, dwarves would naturally want to use something like this to increase the alcohol content of the wine when produced by someone with the knowledge of that magic.

The first point is pretty correct.  Brewing in the Middle Ages was hit or miss.  With open vats and a lot of batches likely were undrinkable.

And maybe beard nets.

Also, I was thinking less bread golems and more pretzels and other salty snacks to go with their drinks.   ;)

Personally, I think some of the batches being undrinkable would be the yeast of your problems…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.