Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Expanded/More Missions  (Read 197 times)

Arkazia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Expanded/More Missions
« on: June 27, 2024, 09:59:34 pm »

Just wanted to brainstorm a few mission ideas for the world screen:

• Claim an empty site: After sending goblins packing from a site, allow squads/hand-picked citizens to claim it and incorporate it into your holdings.
  • Visit a site: Need to fish for rumors or just make neutral first contact with another civ? Send a messenger/squad to a location and say hi; maybe also be able to ask for specific information or the whereabouts of i.e a thief.
  • Diplomacy: Negotiate a ceasefire with an enemy civ or request migrants/soldiers from your own. Could require trade or be an order to your subordinates/linked holdings.
  • Trade Routes: Send out merchant retinues of your own to one or multiple sites. Select goods for them to offer for trade and select things for them to seek out. Success determined by broker-relevant skills; a bad trader may make bad deals, while a good one may get what you want in surplus.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded/More Missions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2024, 02:14:12 pm »

Like this idea.   I feel weird demanding tribute from a city or town to just get them to trade with me.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2024, 02:24:16 pm »

I don't think demanding tribute actually makes a civ trade with you. It starts contact but you can only trade with one civ a time.

The normal trade population and wealth requirements will also remain in effect.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2024, 08:45:52 pm »

I don't think demanding tribute actually makes a civ trade with you. It starts contact but you can only trade with one civ a time.

The normal trade population and wealth requirements will also remain in effect.

That was definitely the case in older versions of the game, since you had no way of making contact with more than one civ at a time. In modded games though you could absolutely trade with multiple civs per season if there were more active that season, though whether they'd be on good terms with each other would be a different story.

Now though since we have means of making contact with additional neighbors, multiple civs can visit or make war upon you (including other dwarves!) if you make contact with them - of course in the latter part, said conflicts will also affect your home civ.

Definitely a +1 on being able to make contact in a peaceful manner though. I'd love to have a fort serve as a mass trade hub without having to potentially bodybag a bunch of people first.