Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Life and Times of Jeha Dragonbite  (Read 2184 times)

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Life and Times of Jeha Dragonbite
« on: February 07, 2008, 04:29:00 pm »

Today was not a good day for Jeha Dragonbite. Not a good day, indeed. She had gone to a supposedly deserted dwarven outpost to steal some goods that the settling dwarves hopefully left behind. In hindsight, maybe going to a place called "The Arm of War" wasn't the best of ideas, but, at the time, Jeha was desperate for food, seeing as the tribe she lived in was at constant war with the local cave-dwellers, led by a surprisingly intelligent Titan, and therefore food was scarce at best, and at worst there was none at all. It all went to the standing military, so many kobolds were constantly trying to get recruited. Jeha was unwilling to join, due to the stories of the "Suicide Squad" as it was called, and therefore went out stealing from humans, goblins and the occasional dwarven fortress.

Now, she was wise to the ways of dwarves, and their tendency to build gigantic deathtraps, supplemented by the the armies they usually have, so the occasions where she stole from dwarves was rare. This particular excursion was supposed to be safe, and the fact that the outpost was built atop a high cliff face meant that it was mostly inaccessable which also meant there had to be SOMETHING good there. There was probably a good reason why it had been deserted, but Jeha didn't particularly care about that, because as long as she was stealthy, whatever monsters that had infested the place wouldn't notice her.

These assumptions had nearly been the death of her, as after she had managed to climb up the cliff face and managed to sneak in, she came face to face with a Colossus. Before she could run, the Colossus grabbed her and, after walking over to the cliff edge, threw her off the cliff. Considering it was a five story fall, it was a miracle that she was only suffered her legs and five ribs breaking. This is where her real story begins...
________________________________________________________________________________
So I basically got it into my head that I could write, and then I thought "What the hey, might as well follow AlanL's cue." And this is what results.

Thoughts, Comments and/or flames? Lay it on me.

[ February 07, 2008: Message edited by: Xotes ]

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: The Life and Times of Jeha Dragonbite
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »

BRILLIANT!!!

CONTINUE!!!

FIRST POST!!!

(almost) BEYOND QUALITY!!!

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

Pretty good. moar. naow.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 06:49:00 pm »

So far, an excellent story! Although  broken legs and a broken upper body doesn't sound promising for our hero if something decides to attack her...
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »

Well, I'm leaning on travel-healing still working to keep 'er alive, but thanks for the positive comments!

Update will occur in an edit. Soon.

[ February 07, 2008: Message edited by: Xotes ]

"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 08:49:00 pm »

Sweetness.
Thats... an interesting first incounter.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 10:02:00 pm »

Jeha groaned as consciousness started coming back to her. "Oh, wow... That was quite a fall... Am I dead?" As if to answer her question, pain wracked her body and a small, ragged gasp escaped her. "ARGH! I guess that answers that question... I gotta see if I can move, at least a little..."

She experimentally moves her right arm back and forth, then proceeds to do the same with her left. On attempting to move her legs, however, intense pain quickly stopped any movement."Ack! OK, legs are out, and some part of my torso is also screwed up... OK, remember ancient shaman spell that they always used to say whenever someone got royally screwed up... N'lathu... Nagitin... Ju'ral! Wait... DOH! Say it out loud, you fool!" Jeha moves her jaw a little, and lets out a satisfied sigh. "Well, at least I can talk... N'lathu... Nagitin... Ju'RACHOO!"

Jeha sneezed out the last part of the spell and looks about with her limited visibility, inwardly nervous. "Crap! The shamen always said BAD THINGS could happen if you mis-pronounce a spell!"

Her fears proved to be well-founded as a fire sprung up from the ground. She instinctively covered her face and waited in fearful anticipation.
A voice booms from the fire. "A... Kobold? It is well you are one of my favorite species that I have created, otherwise I would have to kill you for calling me..." Jeha flinched at the evil-sounding voice, and stays silent.

The voice continues its speech "Since you have called me, I shall give you two choices... One, is to for me to kill you right now and take your soul. The other... You serve me as my high priest, as there is no one advocating my religion in this world. (cretins.)"

Jeha fearfully squeaks out a quick "Yes." to the fire. The voice laughs uproariously."GOOD! GOOD! YOU HAVE PLEASED ME GREATLY! I HEREBY ORDAIN YOU AS THE SLAVE, WAIT, I MEAN HIGH PRIEST OF ARMOK, GOD OF BLOOD!!! (Yeah, she's falling for it, all right)"

The voice calms down for the next part of its speech. "Now, as my first act as your new God, I am going to take your equipment AND weaponry, simply because I'm an ass... I've cured your wounds for you, and given you the famed ability of intrinsic healing as payment for my oh so... improper... aquisition. I've even made it extend to anyone who joins you in your adventures. In my name, of course. Goodbye, Dragonbite. I WILL see you again."

The flame disappears, and after a moment Jeha peeks out from in-between her fingers. She lets out a relieved sigh, before moving her slowly moving her legs to make sure they were healed. She sits up, and without any pain promptly wracking her body, stands up and stretches. She looks around and grunts, realizing what she had just done. "So, I've basically become the slave of a blood god, eh? Well... F***."
________________________________________________________________________________

And that is my half-assed attempt to explain why she doesn't have any weapons or armor, as well as how the travel-healing works.

Peace out, and I'll probably get on to the actual GAMEPLAY next time.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 04:11:00 am »

:D
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 11:07:00 am »

Jeha shook her head a few time to overcome a sudden dizziness, and backed straight into a wall. After a quick exclamation or two, Jeha rubs the back of her head and checks out the surrounding area.  "Well, I really do need to get out of here... And I'm sure as hell not going back up there! I gotta loooong walk ahead of me, though. Crap."

And with that, Jeha started northward out of the mountain-range. Nothing of much note happened on her way out, except for a cougar attacking her, but she managed to sneak away from the beast. Eventually, she reached a forest, which was a nice contrast with all of the stone she had been seeing lately. Not pausing for more than a few minutes, she set out northward again. After passing through some swamps and another section of forest, Jeha was quite surprised at finding the ocean blocking her path. Intrigued by this new (to her) phenomena she went right up to the shoreline and was therefore quite surprised when a large wave hit her, sending her back a few feet.
Shaking herself to get rid of all the water before it became accustomed to its new abode, she gazed at the water somewhat confusedly. "Well... This certainly was a nice change of pace, at least. Strange, but still a nice change of pace."

She set off again, this time to the north-west, and eventually found herself at the foot of a goblin tower. Quickly pressing against the rock, she peered out at the entrance."Well, there are two things I can do right now. One, I can sneak in and hopefully steal some equipment, or I can just leave this place and get eaten by something I could have defeated easily with the right weapons. Yeah, first option it is." And with that, she began sneaking towards the entrance.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tune in next time for some goblin fortress sneaking action!

OK, OK, I really could use some reviews that point out what I may be doing wrong, guys. Thanks for the positive comments you keep giving me, though!

And I just knew that Armok would love this story, due to kobold goodness, right?

Also, how the hell do you get the images to work without thumbnails?

[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: Xotes ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 12:53:00 pm »

FIRST POST!
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

That's not really much of an accomplishment, seeing as that had been up for almost two hours now.

Sadly, in that downtime I haven't done anything of note except get her killed by gobbos. I had a backup, though, so it's all good.

I SHOULD have an update up soon, 'kay?

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 06:49:00 pm »

All right, here it finally is! Enjoy!
Jeha quickly darted behind a tree and peered out again, and after not seeing anybody, sneaks out and slowly advances towards the tower. Taking cover in the tall grass, she spots a crossbow-wielding guard. She inwardly curses her luck. "Damn it! If he see's me, I'm dead!"She pauses her inward cursing after spotting a glint in the grass. Slowly, she made her way towards it, and found it to be an iron bolt. She picked it up, and the guard turned on his patrol route heading back to the tower.

Jeha looked at the bolt in her hand, then at the guard. A small smile appeared on her face, as she got into throwing position,and throws the bolt at the guard. ."May my shot strike true, Armok..." To her amazement, it hits the goblin in the head, going through his right eye and stopping in his brain. The goblin shrieked in pain, ripped out the bolt, threw it on the ground and staggered off into the distance, before collapsing.

As Jeha snuck towards the bolt, a ratman attacked a nearby guard, and was rewarded for its efforts with a cleanly cut off arm, then being cut in two. To her amazement, the guard she had just presumedly killed got back up and hobbled into the distance.She tried throwing the bolt, but just stared at her hand, as she had forgotten to actually pick it up. Jeha snuck back and saw a ratman get torn apart by a goblin lasher. She shuddered, but grabbed the bolt anyway."Poor fool..."

She spotted another ratman first lose its hand, then its head, while the ratman that got torn apart by the lasher bled to death from its numerous wounds, as well as a warthog brutalizing a civilian goblin, who made a surprising comeback and broke the warthog's front legs. The goblin then proceeded to strangle the warthog to death as more ratmen attacked the tower. One of the ratmen drew the door guard away and she snuck in before the guard returned to his post. She cringed slightly hearing the ratman's screams of pain, but brushed it off with a "Better him than me. And, damn it's dark in here."

Her comment was quite true, as her vision extended about three feet ahead of her. She saw a pair of glowing red eyes, and, out of caution, threw her bolt at it. She was rewarded with a scream of goblinoid pain, but then cursed as she realized that this goblin hadn't obliged her by ripping it out and dropping it. Strangely enough, after the initial scream, she saw that goblin just milling about aimlessly, not even bother by the bolt. Jeha shook her head a few times and gaped as it just walked around, chatting up the drunks. She snuck towards the stairs and, after shooting an unnerved look at the goblin, went up. She then promptly blessed the goblin who decided that having the entire place engulfed in darkness wasn't such a bad idea, as she was surrounded by goblins, alert and awake. She stole a finely crafted chestnut scepter that someone had left lying near the stairs and quickly went back down.

Jeha suddenly sneezed, and cursed her luck once more as a goblin came to investigate. Fortunately for her, it was just a drunk, and she hid behind the corner, waiting for him to come. As soon as he came into sight, she bashed him on the head with her scepter, stunning him and knocking him down. She quickly ran off before the drunk recovered. Convienently enough for her, a ratman had just killed a halberd-wielding guard, and was promptly set upon by a goblin drunk who drew it away. She rushed in, threw away the scepter, stole the halberd and the shield the guard had dropped when he died and promptly set off into the distance, not bothering to steal the goblin's clothing, as it was too large for her.

Jeha looked back as more and more ratmen started attacking the tower, and leaned against a tree as what she had just done started to take effect. She slumped down and faded into unconciousness.

Yup, I finally got it up. The last paragraph is flavor text, but it sets it up nicely for what I have in mind for later.

Note: the edit is for a plot hole.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 07:40:00 pm »

And I get's the first post this time!
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 07:35:00 am »

Wonderful story.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...