Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-Dwarf Sprites?  (Read 2940 times)

Hal Nicholas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Non-Dwarf Sprites?
« on: March 09, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »

So while bringing back a computer from the dead, I have found a massive cache of sprites I made in my RPGMaker days. I was thinking of donating these to DF.

Now I'm a little new to the mod scene. My tiles are a little different than the norm. First. my characters are 24x32. That can be cosmetically changed to a 32x32 square. My character/monster sprites are also animated (for walking left, right, up, down). I'm guessing that DF has not idea how to reference directions, so I'll hold off on that. Another issue is my background tiles are designed to be "smoothed" by detecting adjacent tiles and making a gradual change from one tile to another. One again, I'm sure that DF has no ability for this yet, so I'll have to see what I can do to make them pleasing.

My big problem is I can find where you mod the character sprites, but can't seem to find where you define the background tiles. An extreme example is that I would like to make a waterwheel, but don't know how to make all the "W" letters conform to my muti-tile waterwheel. Also making things like spinning gears or wagon bits. Also I'd like to define the various types of objects by adding slight variations to the color, (This can be done with a generic tile and a palette swap in-engine, but I'm guessing DF doesn't have much of an idea of what a "palette swap" is), so I'll just make the variations in the tiles themselves and then export the mess as a few hundred trees, stones, flasks, floors, weapons, or what have you.

Also, I'm guessing transparencies are the pink color in the dwarf example. I used palette slot 0, but that's easy enough to fix. (My graphics are color-indexed .png files. I can just change palette 0 to pink and save as a bitmap.)

Any help where to find what I'm looking for.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Dwarf Sprites?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

Only creatures can have explicit separate graphics currently. Full graphics support is on the dev list, but somewhere towards the end.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Hal Nicholas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Dwarf Sprites?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

Ok, I'll visit this in another year or so.