Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Common or....?  (Read 6251 times)

Common or....?
« on: February 26, 2008, 09:07:00 pm »

From the entities file, an example:

[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_PLATEMAIL:COMMON]

Now what are my options for change here?

I ask because I don't want to totally disallow the goblins ranged weapons, but I'm tired of large bow goblin squads till ranged weaponry is brought into check. Also I can make goblin clothing less frequent without removing it altogether. Kinda more in line with how I see them, they should have assorted rags. Not every goblin needs two socks and it'll help cut down on post-siege clutter.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Common or....?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:34:00 pm »

COMMON
UNCOMMON
or
RARE

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »

from file changes.txt:

in addition to COMMON, UNCOMMON and RARE, armor/clothing types can also have FORCED, which forces the item to appear in all realizations of the entity

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 10:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Chariot:
<STRONG>which forces the item to appear in all realizations of the entity</STRONG>

What? You mean every single creature?

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »

i think its more the fact that it just exists in the civ. currently its possible for items that a civ CAN have to not be there for trade or embark purchase, because the RNG didnt choose it. FORCED would make it always availible

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 10:08:00 pm »

Oh, like some civs don't have low boots or togas?

What would this put in the rarity of the item, though? Would it be common, uncommon, or what?

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 10:46:00 pm »

How can you put rarity tags on weapons?

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW]
      [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BOW]
      [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS]

I'm trying to make bows and crossbows rare. What would make them rare for a goblin to have?

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 12:06:00 am »

Ive done some messing around with sticking common and uncommon and such on weapons.  It didn't put anything in the errorlog last time I did it, but I was unable to confirm weather it works or not.

Now with the forced tag I should be able to.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 12:12:00 am »

What exactly does the new code look like?

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW:RARE]
      [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BOW:RARE]
      [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS]

Or something close?

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 12:16:00 am »

Yea like that. But I just tested it with a couple pocket worlds.  Even though it doesn't make an errorlog entry, the civ seems to ignore the rarity tags on weapons.  

I made humans forced on battleaxes and they didn't carry any as civilians and the only guard I came across had a whip.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 07:34:00 am »

It's not forcing the item on all creatures in the civ. It forces the item to appear available for the civ, regardless of any intervening factors.

This was added after I complained that the armor pieces I made to be craftable only from bone randomly disappeared from different entities, despite having COMMON tags. COMMON still allows a degree of variation (which is high for unlikely items such as bone-only armor), and FORCED removes that variation.

Btw, I still don't understand why Toady chose to differentiate armor, weapons, and all the rest of the items so. Different tags, specifics, sources, everything! I haven't had a chance to work on roguelikes any, but I saw a similar situation in TASpring. Weapon classes were developed separately, which caused a lot of problems for modding, where some tags worked for torpedoes, and didn't work for missiles, making achieving a specific behavior very frustrating.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »

Wait, so those tags effect the chance of a race having those items period? Or the chance that they'll appear on individual creatures of that race?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

From my understanding of it, the tags define overall availability, not actual preference. For example, if you set platemails to RARE, it won't mean platemails will be rarely encountered, or expensive - it will mean there will be a very large chance that a civilization of the entity won't have them in their goods list, be it for crafting or trading.

At least that's what my experiments so far led me to believe.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »

Yeah, unfortunately my adventure mode exploration leads me to second you Sean.

I suppose there's no undoing this without scrapping my world right? :/

And on that note, is there any way to set frequency of use? (Like rarely use bows, etc.)

Edit: Also, does Intelligent tag imply Can_Learn?

[ February 27, 2008: Message edited by: Funkadelic Jive Turkey ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »

Yes, I think INTELLIGENT imples CAN_LEARN.

If you want a race to prefer ranged weapons, you could just give them more ranged weapons. The worldgen chooses at random, so more weapons=bigger chance.

I have elves wielding 4 types of bows.
Also the local leaders are now elite bowmen.

Pages: [1] 2