Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding new biome civs  (Read 2578 times)

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adding new biome civs
« on: February 26, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

What happens if you try and add - in addition to the five standard - civs for, say, desert, taiga/tundra, etc? Does the game go along with it, or does it break down somewhere?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Adding new biome civs
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »

Depends on how you're trying to do it.  The [*_SETTLEMENTS] tag no longer does anything, and serves no purpose.  You also cannot have a city-type that is not a cave, ruin, dark fortress, mountain hall, forest retreat, or standard city.  

However, if you want something that only settles in a certain area, it's perfectly feasible.  Simply scroll down to where you have [START_BIOME:*] and [SUPPORT_BIOME:*:*].  START_BIOME is the biome in which they will originally spawn and settle their first city.  BIOME_SUPPORT is used to show which biomes they will settle their new cities, and which ones they prefer to settle in.

I've got a couple biome-specific civs in my current modding project.  One in freezing areas, and one in deserts.  Works just fine.

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 12:47:00 am »

Okay, cool. Reason I wondered is that, from my testing, the game REQUIRES at least the five basic civs; if you simply remove their entry (say, delete the whole FOREST entry), it generates infinite rejects. Wasn't sure if it could also only HANDLE five civs. Well, this is encouraging, so will do the testing next. =) Thanks.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 12:59:00 am »

It seems now it only needs one civ, in a pocket world anyways.