Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Balanced?  (Read 3622 times)

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
Balanced?
« on: February 27, 2008, 07:16:00 pm »

Hello everybody, this is my first attempt at modding a creature into DF, and I would like some help with this creature. Do you think it is well balanced? I tried to make something that kind of swarms. If I'm right, you will only be attacked at night, and there are supposed to be around 7 of them.

Here's the creature:

code:
[CREATURE:MYCONID]
   [NAME:myconid:myconid:myconid]
   [TILE:'m'][COLOR:2:0:0]
   [MODVALUE:3]
   [LARGE_ROAMING]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:20:30]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:10]
   [LARGE_PREDATOR][MEANDERER]
   [GENPOWER:2]
   [PETVALUE:200]
   [GRASSTRAMPLE:0][NATURAL][PET]
   [CARNIVORE]
   [PREFSTRING:mossy smell]

[BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH]
   [BODYGLOSS:TENDRIL:TENDRILTIP]
   [SIZE:4]
   [MAXAGE:5:10]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
   [CHILD:16][CHILDNAME:myconid spawn:myconid spawn]
   [FAT:2]
   [NOCTURNAL]
   [BLOODTYPE:W][CHITIN]
   [BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE_FOREST]
   [BIOME:ANY_TROPICAL_FOREST]
   [BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TROPICAL]
   [BIOME:SWAMP_TROPICAL_FRESHWATER]
   [BIOME:SWAMP_TROPICAL_SALTWATER]
   [BIOME:SWAMP_MANGROVE]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10067]
   [LAYERING:100]
   [SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]

[ February 27, 2008: Message edited by: Psyco Jelly ]

Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Balanced?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »

I do hope you do not mean 'Myconid'.
Mico is Vibrate or Gyrate in latin.  Myco is fungus.  Also not to be mistaken for myxo, which is 'snot'... nid is nest but it's probably not meant to be part of the latin translation...
Assuming Gygax and others did indeed intend it to be a fungal creature, Myconid would possibly be the proper spelling... Then again, it could be entirely your own creation, despite the spawn, mossy smell, ect...

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:44:00 pm »

Heh, oops. Thanks for the name tip. I'll fix that. But yes, I did intend for myconid to meen fungus nest, because they swarm.

Do you think that the creature is  balanced in terms of gameplay, I intended them to be a little more challenging than a wolf.

Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »

I like the creature, but how does 1:6 Gore/Latch combine with Size:4? The secondary attack for humanoids (Bite, Gore 1:1, Latch) is surprisingly powerful, unless it's been dumbed down since 2D. I remember Adventurers biting heads off...

If it ends up being too weak somehow, try SPEED:900 for kicks. Terrifying to have a swarm that much faster than you. =)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 08:00:00 pm »

Well, 1:6 gore damage for size 4 isn't too much... Number 5-10 is cool to kill some of herbalists/woodcutters. It's just another creature, so it's fun. Also remember, you determine the balance in your game by myself. For example, I have a lot of terrible modded creatures for better challenge.

Hmm, your myconid guys is a bit strange. Maybe because I'm too used to Salvatore's myconids, so nevermind =).

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 08:59:00 pm »

I saw the mushroom-man kind of myconid, and I started to imagine a different sort of fungus-creature. I imagined them as being sort of a shambling mass of moss and lichens, sort of like thallids if you are familiar with MTG.

Then again, I might mod in mushroom-men. That could be pretty cool.

code:

The spinning fungicide strikes the mushroom-man in the cap!
It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mess!
The mushroom-man has been struck down.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:31:00 pm »

Did you mod the head->cap gloss? Nice =).
I'd suggest to give them some flavoured attack instead of just biting... Like "spit spores:spits spores:1:5:COLD" or something like this.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 09:52:00 pm »

The spore-spitting attack would probably inject venom. By the way, does anyone know what the [VEGETATION] tag does? because it sounds like something that would be applied to mushroom-people.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 02:43:00 am »

It makes them pick a random tree-type to be.  You'd end up with elm, pine, and mango myconids.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »

It's not the vegetation, it's the HAS_RACEGLOSS tag. Specifically, HAS_RACEGLOSS:WOOD. The only other acceptable are STONE and METAL.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 01:04:00 am »

I found that out for myself just recently, and was coming back here to correct my statement.  Of course, this throws the [VEGETATION] tag back into a shroud of mystery.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 02:35:00 am »

I think the "vegetation" is something rudimental like gen power.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

We serve Juffo-Wup.  Juffo-Wup is the ineffable light in the darkness.  It cannot be destroyed by energy blasts.  You are the Non.  You CAN be destroyed by energy blasts.  Allow us to demonstrate.

I'm sorry, I was channeling a Mycon.

They should have a heat attack instead of cold, and the ability to breed as adults.  They don't have to be powerful, but having adult babies?  Crazy.  You could also make them immune to fire.

The Mycon are awesome.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster