Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blasphemy!  (Read 1224 times)

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blasphemy!
« on: July 22, 2007, 09:11:00 pm »

Now Yahoo has decided to review DF. Apparently, though, they're in the camp of "WE
NEEDS GRAPHICS!! SciZZ0rz!!

Like its stocky stars, Dwarf Fortress is ugly. But if you can look past the crude ASCII graphics, you'll find one of the deepest, most advanced world simulations ever coded. Build an outpost and help your dwarves search for riches while exploring a vast, persistent world, complete with dynamic weather, dozens of towns, various civilizations and even a few pets.
Give it a graphical upgrade and it's Game of the Year material.
 :(

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Blasphemy!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 09:16:00 pm »

Where is the review? Links?
Eh?
Eh!

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 09:20:00 pm »

Doh!

The review.

Although I already posted the full version above.

[ July 22, 2007: Message edited by: Xotes ]

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 09:27:00 pm »

quote:
Give it a graphical upgrade and it's Game of the Year material.

Uh... no? I just can't get enough of the "crude graphics" personally. Just gives the game some charm and leaves room for imagination. But I guess most gamers today just want everything handed to them on a silver platter...

Seriously, it's free.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 10:12:00 pm »

They dont even have a comments page, the spineless bastards. It isn't even a proper review...
What's it's score? Who made it? When was it made?

They have none of these things, which makes it no better then a forum post...
On 4chan.
/b/.
On Friday.
13th.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 10:13:00 pm »

quote:
[Give it a graphical upgrade and it's Game of the Year material.

Although I personaly like the default graphics, I'm sure anyone that doesn't like them would be fine with one of the custom tilesets.

[ July 22, 2007: Message edited by: Grek ]

SwiftSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 10:19:00 pm »

Realistically speaking.  If you advertise DF pretty much anywhere, isn't one of the first things you say "the graphics might seem pretty bad but..."

The reality of the situation is, the ASCII style graphics DF uses is just different than anything conventional gamers are used to.  Once you see it in all it's glory in DF (blood from a large battle pouring off a bridge and streaming down the river is a pretty awesome sight for example) it can be as rewarding a graphics system as any other system I've ever seen.  The imagination really tends to take over and populate the massively simple scenes with something far more entertaining than real graphics could ever show anyways.  But you can still never really escape the reality that the graphics are very very simplistic.

laceholder Signature

Locus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 12:48:00 am »

Herrbdog's 16x16 tileset in graphics mode makes a world of difference in my opinion. Playing with squashed jagged characters just seems crude now.

PTTG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.2funnyguys.com
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 01:15:00 am »

I feel that DF is better for the focus on gameplay instead of graphics. Of course, it's not as if there aren't legions  of fans willing to hand-paint a whole tileset or 12, but it certainly says something that cutting edge graphics are, while so often the top-of-the-box blurb for a game, in dwarf fortress, the least important element.
Not to mention that there has to be a tileset that makes DF look like I'm hex coding instead of dungeon crawling.
A HREF="http://www.2funnyguys.com">www.2funnyguys.com

,".,''.,,''..,'',.'',,.''
.'',G''(Im in ur fotrez)
''.,.,(steln ur babyz:0)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 04:05:00 am »

The simple gfx leaves room for the imagination, it's like reading a book instead of watching a movie, but thats my opinion.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Boogey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 05:07:00 am »

Worst thing of using ASCII is the fact, that poorly designed non-consistent UI game has now seems like a poorly designed and non-consitent UI, while with graphics even poorer UI-design works pretty nicely (compared).

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 05:46:00 am »

They;re just jeolous because they didn't bring any miners and they have only one wagon...

(*points at screenie*)

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 08:04:00 am »

I love ASCII graphics. Just like I love 3D ones. Seriously, I can play ADOM, or DF, then start San Andreas, I don't really see the difference. Graphics are disturbing when they're in ugly 3D (yes, Armok). If the game is build in ASCII, what's the matter ? You get used to it, and then you appreciate it !
But unfortunately, most people now are incapable of making such effort. Grow some imagination, dumb-asses !

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 08:31:00 am »

Tile based graphics would be an improvement, simply because tiles can display more detailed information than ASCII.  Ever confuse an elephant and an elf?  With tiles, that doesn't happen.

If you could customize the world tiles too, workshops would be much easier to distinguish from each other.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 08:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fieari:
<STRONG>Tile based graphics would be an improvement</STRONG>

I totally agree. Toady wouldnt have to do any gfx at all, just give us the possibility to make graphics for all tiles. Many of you are trying to link imagination to ASCII. This is no excuse. All of you could make your own tilesets if there would be support to make gfx for the tiles. Most of the people who refuse to play this wonderful game is only because of the ASCII based "graphics". Gameplay is much more important I agree of course, however, like Ive said, no one is asking Toady to make graphics for the game, just give the players the possibility to make their own graphics for the game. I am totally sure that we would seen awesome 2d tilesets for the game. More and more players would start to play.

Pages: [1] 2