Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Probably dumbest question ever, but ...  (Read 1208 times)

Hilbabe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Probably dumbest question ever, but ...
« on: May 18, 2009, 10:51:45 pm »

I've been trying to find technical details on how to tame large land animals ... and all anybody ever says (that I can find) is "You cage stuff and tame it at the kennels" ... when I look at the kennels and choose "Tame large animal", it acts like it wants me to choose the thing to tame ... do I have to have the cage with the animal actually "installed" near the kennel?  When I try to move the cursor over to my cages that are in "animal storage", it just changes to the options for the storage area ... I'm just so confused.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Probably dumbest question ever, but ...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:32:31 pm »

Use +- to navigate through that list.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:40:44 pm »

Yep, if Tame Large Animal at the Kennels gives you a list of creatures you shouldn't be having problems...And if there is no list, the animals you caught cannot be tamed (without modding). Humanoid creatures generally can't be tamed. You don't need to build the cages near the kennel or anything like that, if you have a tamable creature in a cage it'll show up.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 12:07:03 am »

Keep in mind that you need a dwarf with the animal training job enabled and also a portion of food to use in the training. Certain animals can only be tamed once you gain the Dungeon Master.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 12:15:43 am »

Hm, that makes me want to know... How do you edit a creature to make it tamable?  Like, do I just add [cantame] to the goblin entry or something?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 12:33:49 am »

Add [PET] to their entry. You might also need [PET_VALUE:__] in there too.

Although adding the [PET] tag to creatures from civilizations has strange behavior, reportedly.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 12:43:13 am »

You can add [PET] to tame animals normally, or [PET_EXOTIC] for taming with the Dungeon Master.  I'm not sure how to go about taming gobbos, I think the [INTELLIGENT] tag might prevent this.  Not sure, never tried.

Also, the [trAINABLE] tag lets you train adult animals as war or hunting animals, like "War Grizzly Bear"  :D

You can find out more about the different tokens here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Creature_tokens

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 10:00:53 am »

I assume I have to gen a new world and/or start a new fortress for those changes to take effect?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 05:49:20 pm »

I assume I have to gen a new world and/or start a new fortress for those changes to take effect?

No, I don't think so. As long as you're only editing creature raws instead of adding new ones, you should be fine.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Hilbabe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 06:49:26 pm »

Thanks!  I kept wondering if I was deficient or something ... I'm going to take a guess and assume Satyrs are not tameable.  Guess it's time to figure out how to execute some goblins .... hehehe  ;D

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 07:56:38 am »

My war unicorn army was so badass, lead by a champion with an artifact unicorn leather shield (with a moon drawn on it no less).

Eventually they all perished in the battle against the tentacle demons, but they did hold them off long enough that by the time they were dead, there were only one or two demons left for the marksmen to finish off.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 12:18:41 pm »

Taming != Training

...War Unicorns? I thought my anti-orc War Wolf squad was a little cheap but...Unicorns...