Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Sims 3 programmers play dwarf fortress  (Read 10791 times)

Sangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sims 3 programmers play dwarf fortress
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2009, 04:06:01 pm »

quote:I care about the UI, which currently is not very good: it's hard to discover new things, and similar tasks are often done using orthogonal methods.  It obviously doesn't stop me from playing it, but it does stop a lot of other people I know.  Basically, I want to play Dwarf Fortress.  I don't want to play "should I use the arrow keys or the +- keys here?"

Pretty much this.  The lack of pretty graphics isn't an issue for me.  But some times I feel like I am fighting the UI to get things done.  It is little things like having the same shortcut key for the same options across differing menus, menus having differing ways of navigation, the enable/disable in piles being different keys depending on the columns that you are on, being able to draw with the mouse for designations but not for things such as piles.  It isn't bad; its just quirky.  Which is fine for a product in this cycle of development.  I just hope that the level of detail that is put into the gameplay is also put into the usability of the UI.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2009, 05:07:40 pm »

Presumably they make greater profits by including securom than they do by excluding it, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Because EA is infallible?

(No opinion on Sims 3/DRM, just pointing out that '<X> does <Y>, therefore <Y> must be a net positive' is a logical fallacy)

Yes, that's exactly what I said... or even in any way implied... ::)

Ok, what's it called when your first assumption about one of the largest most successful companies in the business is that they don't know how to make a profit?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 05:20:15 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2009, 06:33:53 pm »

Ok, what's it called when your first assumption about one of the largest most successful companies in the business is that they don't know how to make a profit?

It's an unprofitable business?

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2009, 10:25:12 am »

Presumably they make greater profits by including securom than they do by excluding it, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Because EA is infallible?

(No opinion on Sims 3/DRM, just pointing out that '<X> does <Y>, therefore <Y> must be a net positive' is a logical fallacy)

Yes, that's exactly what I said... or even in any way implied... ::)

I hope you weren't offended by what I said, all I was getting at was a purely theoretical debate sort of thing. If I had come in and said

"Presumably they make less profits by including securom than they do by excluding it, otherwise they would exclude it."

The argument (stated either way) hinges on EA's business sense (or lack thereof) and not on the merits (or lack) of securom, and that's the only point I was trying to make.

I have no idea what effect (if any) securom has on sales. It would be interesting if there was any hard-data to compare. It's probably a hard thing to measure.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2009, 10:51:46 am »

Quote from: Sangi link=topic=1846.msg564082#msg564082
 It isn't bad; its just quirky.
[/quote

Well, it IS bad. Useable though, and once you've memorized it becomes almost second nature - but still bad. I think the game will become much more pleasurable to play once a better interface is up and running. For me, It's not a huge deal, because the interface doesn't stop me from enjoying the game, but it does slow me down, is awkward, and most certainly turns away potential players.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2009, 11:32:54 am »

Sim cancels cooking; Kitchen on fire.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2009, 09:08:35 am »

I vote we release one version of sims 3 with securom, and one without, and see which one sells better!  ;D

/silliness

The interface has become second nature to me and doesn't really slow me down at all. I'm actually dreading the ole

Upgraded=Changed=Not The Same=Not What I Know=I'm a noob again!=I cannot use the interface as well!
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2009, 11:49:06 am »

Oh, man... Surfing the forums after the Reloaded release hit the torrent scene, I kinda understand now how come this series is so successful. Casual female (non-)gamers being the some backbone behind the Sims is in my opinion a common misconception. They may have a large impact, but I don't believe that they are the main engine under this train. Seeing even such pits of trolls like the RPG Codex turn gay for Sims puts it into perspective. It doesn't matter in this modern world whether you're male or female, a hardcore gamer or a housewife, a though guy or a furry, you're damn loser at life and such an obvious escapist quick-fix like the Sims is an irresistible attraction for you. Just like religion, alcohol and all other escapist addictions.
For we are a miserable lot. Of the hundreds of others we interact with, we're lucky if a handful few actually give us positive feedback and actually give a damn, even luckier are we, if that includes a significant other. And all it takes to make it better is a more friendlier stance towards others, a few smiles, some nice words, but the dog is to the village as the village is to the dog, so hate rules this world, violence it's deputy and we turn a blind eye to get the next fix.

@EA lied about DRM

Meh, and what else is new? If you haven't noticed, the gaming companies can do what the hell they want and the gaming media won't even utter a minor protest in P.S. In fact, remove the word "gaming" from that sentence and you have a broader rule for the relations between business and media. The only moment when that changes, is when the media has a more pressing need to save its own rear end, but you'd need a nearly revolutionary situation for that these days.

...And it is SecureROM as per the software security experts: Oh, its removed from inventory, what tragedy!
It seems to be a more subtle version, but it still has install limits, online activation and the works.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]