Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Sims 3 programmers play dwarf fortress  (Read 10800 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sims 3 programmers play dwarf fortress
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 09:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheSpaceMan:
<STRONG>A new GUI won't add anything to the game, just polish existing stuff</STRONG>

It would add a lot to the game if everything were easier.  Consider the stone selection UI that wasn't there in 2d (instead, you had to remember which of the thousands of identically-described stone you wanted to choose).  Or the UI for the trade depot, which means it's now pretty easy to select all the narrow clothing.

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2008, 11:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheSpaceMan:
<STRONG>To make a dwarf in a 3d version behave like you would want it to you would have to have a AI/Rendering/Animation coder working full time for the same amount of time Toady has right now.

I wouldn't mind unique images for all the tiles, and a possibility to rebind keys in a easy way. But not if it takes focus over more important parts. A new GUI won't add anything to the game, just polish existing stuff, and I want new ways to get dwarf high. :P</STRONG>

I don't know of any company which would render the violence of DF in 3D. The issue of children most especially.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2008, 12:50:00 am »

The game Fallout was pretty graphic and had killable children, but if I recall correctly they had to remove the children from the game for the European release due to some laws against games that allow you to kill children.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2008, 01:24:00 am »

Mmm...  Fallout...

Nothing quite like slicing someone in half with a chainsaw-knife...   Except for blowing apart their upper body with a machinegun, of course.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2008, 02:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Nothing quite like slicing someone in half with a chainsaw-knife...   Except for blowing apart their upper body with a machinegun, of course.</STRONG>

In fallout 2, I always liked shooting three big half-robotic soldiers in the eye -- blowing their brains out -- every round.  Of course, one miss and I'd be chewing on rockets.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2008, 08:17:00 am »

lol.

I've been a great fan of the maxis sim-stuff games for their simulated world sand-box concept.

'The Sims' in my opinion is one of the less inspired games to come of the Maxis team, though I don't mind if it pays for less commercially profittable concepts.

As long as it does not corrode the more hardcore edge stuff into smoothed toddler-safe disposable media.

-Anxiously awayting Spore-
Areyar

ps Them playing D_F fills me with renewed trust in the programmers souls.

[ March 15, 2008: Message edited by: Areyar ]

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2008, 08:38:00 am »

There will be an option to make your sims super short, and then give them beards, and then get about 6 others and live in a hole. The mailman=traders. The tax-dude=goblins.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sidew:
<STRONG>Or stomped by a Elephant</STRONG>

I miss the fearful wrath and power of the elephants.

http://www.emptyforce.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/sims3-pg29-2.jpg

That link doesn't seem to work?

[ March 15, 2008: Message edited by: Lightman ]

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2008, 04:23:00 pm »

The game is well known, thats for sure, however almost all "reviews" mention the horrible UI + the ASCII  as serious problems in the game.
Right now this game is only playable for a very small amount of people.
Its quite funny actually I remember that I read a small review somewhere, that said that the game has huge potential but it also said something like "the dev's fanboys are the people who snap and snarl at all who dare to question the ASCII... on the official message board."
I would pay for this game, right now Im not even playing with it. Too many bugs, repetitive gameplay after a short period, the ASCII mess of characters, the UI is plain crap, no mouse support and I could continue.
Toady could earn lot of money but not this way.
I am lurking on the forums waiting for big news however.  :)
As I see the army arc will be completed someday thats a good thing. On the other hand the game is getting more and more complex...DF should get rid of the ASCII mess and use a decent UI. Until these 2 things wont be added / supported, only a few will play this game.
Im not sure that 2-4k dollars of donations is good enough. Toady is doing a great job with the development. Graphics system + good UI = lot more donators, even I would donate.   ;)

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »

I think the ASCII actually makes the game more managable. The various other tilesets makes it so much harder to see what things are. On the other hand, the UI is very cumbersome...

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2008, 04:44:00 pm »

We only snap arrogant people like you.

quote:
Too many bugs, repetitive gameplay after a short period, the ASCII mess of characters, the UI is plain crap, no mouse support and I could continue.

Nice support words for a guy who codes 14 hours a day.

The game is in alpha; I know this argument is over used, but it's valid nonetheless. In time, all these problems will be adressed, as Toady stated. After the Army Arc, Toady wil prbably work on the Presentation Arc, where he will solve all these UI problems.

More money for him, for he deserves it; however, we will have more people like you.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by gimli:
<STRONG>
Im not sure that 2-4k dollars of donations is good enough. Toady is doing a great job with the development. Graphics system + good UI = lot more donators, even I would donate.     ;)</STRONG>

Why not donate to help him further development (since this is all he's doing), instead of threatening to only donate when your little wishes are granted?

[ March 15, 2008: Message edited by: Davion ]

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by thvaz:
<STRONG>More money for him, for he deserves it; however, we will have more people like you.</STRONG>

I don't see a problem with accommodating people who want to play a game that has enormous depth of play, but won't play a game that's extremely hard to get into.  I know several people in that boat, who poke at DF once in a while then put it down because they can't do the most basic things.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Davion:
<STRONG>

Why not donate to help him further development (since this is all he's doing), instead of threatening to only donate when your little wishes are granted?

[ March 15, 2008: Message edited by: Davion ]</STRONG>

Nah you got it wrong. Threatening? Not at all, I just posted what I would do that is all. Read all around the net about DF. ASCII fans on this board are the vast minority, the biggest percent of people just wont play this game and wont donate at all a single penny until something wont be done with the UI + ASCII mess. The truth is that -as most of the reviews stated- the potential is big in this game even if its alpha, but its almost unplayable. Letters running around the screen, basically no UI etc....gameplay is the most important thing, but there is a line what a developer should not cross, and its the bad UI + ASCII.
AFAIK graphics support is at the end of the dev list. Its a real shame, no DF for me and tons of other people for years.    :(

PS. I find "people like you" sentences very offensive. This is what making this board very annoying for lot of people. So basically if I have an opinion, I should accept yours instead and shut up? Sorry but I refuse to play this game in ASCII mode. You know what? I play roguelikes, so I have no problems with ASCII. My problem is that ASCII for a game like this is what not good. Confusing. 1 time I wasnt playing for ~3 weeks and I forgot that what do I see on my screen basically. I had to learn everything again.
Frankly my eyes get hurt if I play too much with DF, so I stopped to play.
People like me are normal gamers, I am not a kid [28 years old] and playing with strategy games for lot of years now.

[ March 15, 2008: Message edited by: gimli ]

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2008, 07:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>

I don't see a problem with accommodating people who want to play a game that has enormous depth of play, but won't play a game that's extremely hard to get into.  I know several people in that boat, who poke at DF once in a while then put it down because they can't do the most basic things.</STRONG>

Its not the complexity. The game would be easy to understand with simple 2d graphics. Right now its very hard to understand, guess why? ASCII + very bad UI.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9