Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: COMMON_DOMESTIC vs PET  (Read 1806 times)

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
COMMON_DOMESTIC vs PET
« on: March 11, 2008, 08:00:00 pm »

Wanted to check here before making wiki edits.

Creature Tokens sez that COMMON_DOMESTIC is the tag required for embarkation; I left that tag on all the creature_domestic.txt animals and removed PET. The result was that the only animals I could bring were muskox and camels (creatures located in other files, and thus unmodified). It looks like either both tokens are required, or COMMON_DOMESTIC isn't being used for the same criteria (maybe it governs only what animals can be brought with immigrants).

Anyone else played with these? It's possible I removed some other token(s) in the process and just completely spaced this, but I don't think so.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: COMMON_DOMESTIC vs PET
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 08:24:00 pm »

The [pet] token also appears on animals that are not common_domestic.

I think the pet tag just means you can have it as a pet. For example, if an elephant had the pet tag, if you caught it in a trap you could tame it. common_domestic makes it so you can take the animals with approprate tags with you at embark.

For animals with PET_EXOTIC you would need the dungeon master.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:33:00 pm »

To be taken on embark, you must have the following: [COMMON_DOMESTIC] and one or more of [PET], [PACK_ANIMAL], [WAGON_PULLER] or [MOUNT].

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 08:52:00 pm »

Grek: thanks, that's about what I was expecting. I'll have to do some token mucking.. trying to let them embark with animals without letting immigrants bring in dozens of animals as pets every year.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 10:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Grek:
<STRONG>To be taken on embark, you must have the following: [COMMON_DOMESTIC] and one or more of [PET], [PACK_ANIMAL], [WAGON_PULLER] or [MOUNT].</STRONG>

not QUITE accurate

you can have things availible to take on embark which do NOT have [COMMON_DOMESTIC].

if you look in the entity file, you will see that dwarves can use the following:
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK]
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL]
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC_MOUNT]
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PET]

have a look at musk oxen. they have the pull and pack tags, but DONT have the common domestic tag. you can sometimes embark with them.

in zoo mod, zebras and ostriches have the mount tag. they are not common domestic. occasionaly, depending on which civ you choose, they may be available for embarking