Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New creature - Haunted Sword  (Read 2378 times)

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
New creature - Haunted Sword
« on: April 13, 2008, 10:17:00 am »

I posted a help thread a while back when I was having trouble making this creature.  Some people expressed interest in the creature, so I'm posting it in case anyone else wants to use it.

I finally figured out that it was so weak because it was made of silver.  Now that it's made of iron it can actually kill my adventurers.

code:
[CREATURE:SWORD_HAUNTED]
   [NAME:haunted sword:haunted swords:haunted sword]
   [TILE:'/'][COLOR:7:0:1]
   [SEMIMEGABEAST]
   [GENPOWER:5]
   [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD]
   [FANCIFUL]
   [CANOPENDOORS]
   [PREFSTRING:deadliness]
   [BODY:BASIC_SWORDBODY]
   [FLIER]
   [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
   [NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][NOBREATHE][NOBLEED][NOSTUN][NONAUSEA][NOEMOTION]
[RECKLESS][NOSTUCKINS][SEVERONBREAKS][NOSKULL][NOSKIN][NOBONES][NOMEAT]
[NOTHOUGHT][NOEXERT]
   [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]
   [DAMBLOCK:12]
   [NOFEAR]
   [SIZE:10]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:BLADE:cut:cuts:1:6:SLASH][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:BLADE:stab:stabs:1:6:PIERCE][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
   [ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:HILT:bludgeon:bludgeons:1:6:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
   [EQUIPS]
   [DIURNAL]
   [BIOME:ANY_LAND]
   [ITEMCORPSE:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG:METAL:IRON]
   [ITEMCORPSE_QUALITY:5]
   [NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP]
   [NO_GENDER]
   [MATERIAL:METAL:IRON]
   [SWIMS_LEARNED][SWIM_SPEED:2500]

You will also need this body entry for body_default.txt.

code:
[BODY:BASIC_SWORDBODY]
[BP:UB:blade][UPPERBODY][HEAD]
[BP:LB:hilt][CON:UB][LOWERBODY]

"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New creature - Haunted Sword
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kuli:
<STRONG>I finally figured out that it was so weak because it was made of silver.  Now that it's made of iron it can actually kill my adventurers.</STRONG>

I call bullshit.  I don't think a creature matgloss affects its offensive or defensive capabilities.  Size, damblock, natural attacks, equipment (for civilized creatures), and skill (for civilized creatures and I assume megabeasts) are the only factors AFAIK.

If you've run some serious experiments that clearly demonstrate a difference between, say, a silver and adamantine colossus (identical in all but racegloss or whatever that tag is), then so be it, but I doubt that's the case.

I only care because it may affect my custom critters, now or in forts to come.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 06:23:00 pm »

[RACEGLOSS] and [MATERIAL] are separate things. I suspect the latter may have an effect where the former does not.

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

Why combine [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] with [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]?
t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 07:44:00 pm »

I call bullshit. I don't think a creature matgloss affects its offensive or defensive capabilities. Size, damblock, natural attacks, equipment (for civilized creatures), and skill (for civilized creatures and I assume megabeasts) are the only factors AFAIK.[/quote[

All I know is that I kept killing the things without them landing a singe hit when they were made of silver.  When I changed them to iron they started killing my adventurers with deadly efficiency.  I did not change the size or damblock.

Don't ask me about the butcherable tags.  I copied large parts of the Bronze Colossus entry, so I imagine those appear there as well.

"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 07:49:00 pm »

MATERIAL tag appears to indeed change statistics.
Now, can we put ANY_METAL (or the equivalent, I don't know my glosses well enough) in there and have any-metal haunted swords?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 10:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kuli:
<STRONG>All I know is that I kept killing the things without them landing a singe hit when they were made of silver.</STRONG>

AFAIK material does not affect accuracy.  Only damage.  If they kept missing outright, that was just luck.  If instead they were landing glancing blows (thus no damage), then started doing serious damage when the material changed, then maybe it makes a difference.

RE:  "Any-metal"

Do the same thing with metal that treants (creature_standard.txt) do with wood.  Each individual will be made of a random metal.  Unfortunately, you'll see just as many adamantine swords as bismuth ones, since there doesn't seem to be any weighting system in place.

You can do the same thing with stone, too.  Note that stone includes gemstones, so you might see a diorite golem followed by a star ruby golem.  That sort of thing.

[ April 13, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 06:41:00 pm »

Yeah, that's what I figured.
I didn't think you could use ANY_METAL.
That was just an example-type of thing.
EDIT: But does MATERIAL also create the required value for USE_RACEGLOSS on ITEMCORPSE, or...  I need guidance on this one.
Treants use RACEGLOSS, not MATERIAL.

[ April 14, 2008: Message edited by: jaybud4 ]

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 07:19:00 pm »

I really don't know what they use.  I don't really use racegloss or material.  Just mimic what Toady did with treants, only instead of WOOD use METAL.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 12:38:00 am »

Hmm...now I'm thinking it'd be neat to make a "metal goblins" race that would do what the goblins do, except each'd be made from a random metal and would drop an appropriate statue when killed, à la colossi. And of course, the better the material, the nastier the goblin would be.

I'd sure rather have more statues than tons of narrow crap.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 11:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>metal goblins</STRONG>

First, that'd be a great name for a parody band.  Second, if you do that I highly recommend removing all clothing and possibly most/all armor from the goblin civ.  Also, give 'em [NOSMELLYROT] since severed metal limbs shouldn't stink.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »

Sorry, I meant to say that this would go with removing all their clothing and armor. Not much point in wearing metal when you're made of it!

I know basically nothing about modding at the moment...I might pick this up as a project when I finish my current fortress. Turn goblins into metal goblins, turn babysnatchers into sieges, reclaim a nice site I have stowed away, and see how things go...

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>turn babysnatchers into sieges</STRONG>

I'm not sure you want to do that.  Beyond disabling baby snatching, it disables ambushes.  I prefer ambushes since they don't prevent caravans (useful for raw materials, but more so for their garbage disposal service).  They can still kill them, sure, but at least they'll still make it to the depot with some regularity.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

Ah, really? The forts where I did that, my dwarves basically never dared leave the fort walls anyway. A pity.

I suppose the fastest way to verify that metal goblins are behaving properly would be in adventurer mode...gonna have to learn how to play that mode, then.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »

It's a top-down turn-based RPG in ASCII. (a la Rogue)
Not so much to learn.

[ April 15, 2008: Message edited by: jaybud4 ]

Pages: [1] 2