Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thoroughly ruined...  (Read 1516 times)

Butcher Jackson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thoroughly ruined...
« on: April 13, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »

My nonstandard entity is set to live in desert ruins.  Well, they're getting the desert part down (even with two or three settlements right next to each other)and their settlements are called "ruins", but there are never any buildings or ruined structures.  Does the [DEFALT_SITE_TYPE:RUIN] just assign them empty zones?  Come to think of it, I've heard of undead ruins but I've never seen any.  Do these exist in the current version?
 should just start a thread called "Butcher''s endless string of modding questions"

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: Thoroughly ruined...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 08:24:00 pm »

I don't think ruins are viable dwellings. I think only cave, cave_detailed, tree_city, dark_fortress, and city are viable tags.

[ April 13, 2008: Message edited by: Fleeb ]

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 10:28:00 pm »

Ruins will appear on the map and races will live in them, provided you've set their civ to use 'em.  I've not yet visited one, but if your experience isn't a fluke then Toady must've gutted ruin layouts entirely.

Also, it may cause problems, but has anyone tried making a civ that builds PLAYER_FORTRESS sites (or whatever the tag is -- check the exe for it)?  Does it crash the game?  If it doesn't, are they valid "reclaim fort" sites?

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

Well, I'll be damned. I think you're right. Have to test this out.

edit: Well, they use the tag but there are no buildings. Guess ruins are gone for now.

[ April 13, 2008: Message edited by: Fleeb ]

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Butcher Jackson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »

Bummer.  Well, toady's probably going to have some very nice stuff for ruins planned for the army arc.  Guess I'll just have to be patient.  Until then, I guess my trolls will live in caves.
 should just start a thread called "Butcher''s endless string of modding questions"

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

I think ruins were removed (temporarily?) with newer versions. I had to settle for dark towers dwellers in the desert for my mod.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 02:42:00 pm »

From the dev notes, 01/21/2008:
quote:
removed ruin map generation

I'm pretty sure the intention was that ruins will only be generated from war-torn towns, now.  So when a city gets splatted or abandoned or something, it'll turn into ruins over time.  That doesn't happen yet, so..!

[ April 14, 2008: Message edited by: Sowelu ]

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 09:26:00 am »

Since the current development is to actually play out wars during world generation, I think that's what's intended.  Instead of generating a "RUINS" at the very start, the plan seems to be have them occur as a byproduct of wars (such as when the goblins overrun an human village and slaughter everyone).
Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet.