Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves... killing dwarves!  (Read 1782 times)

ghor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves... killing dwarves!
« on: August 09, 2006, 05:46:00 am »

Let me start this post like so many other people rightfully have:  this game is brilliant!

I was playing my third fortress last night (first one starved to death, second one was reduced to almost nothing by a bear), and things were going ok. I had some farming going on, Erib the ex-mason turned trapper, and he was quite proficient at it, legendary wrestler and adept ambusher, he ventured out into the woods and wrestled deer! I had even built a bridge over the mountain river, and dug so far east that I reached a chasm. The only setback was that one of my marksdwarves had been badly injured by a snakeman, and was lying on his bed, throwing tantrums every now and then.

But then, strange things happened. At one point I scrolled over to his room to see how he was doing and... the room was covered with blood, and he was lying dead in his bed. I looked at the message buffer, and saw that I had missed a message about him going berserk, but I thought "Berserk? And attacked himself? Implausible!"

And yes, it probably was very implausible, because then I noticed that all my dwarves were fighting each other! To the death! It was carnage!

Eventually only three dwarves remained. Two of them were stuck in "Task interrupted by combat" loops every second, and the aforementioned trapper wandered around and never stopped hunting, even after I told him not to.

An amusing way to lose a fortress, but it leaves a lot of questions. Why did they all start killing each other all the time? Was it the wounded dwarf's Berserking From The Bed that made someone else attack him? And then it escalated from here?
Or did I unleash something horrible from the chasm?
Or is it a bug?

In the end, it was all fun, and I do not regret losing my fortress in this manner.
Losing is fun!

[ August 09, 2006: Message edited by: ghor ]

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves... killing dwarves!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 05:57:00 am »

>"Berserk? And attacked himself? Implausible!"

I heard Thomas Biskup has a problem with that too  :)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 06:00:00 am »

Ah, it's quite possible buggy things are happening...  let me think...

So, a dwarf goes berserk, and the other attack it, possibly one of them strikes it, possibly many.  Then, because the berserk dwarf is still associated to your fortress, the adventure mode affiliations code kicks in, and the attacking dwarves are cast out from the civilization and become enemies, leading to more death.  So the berserk dwarf acts as a catalyst to civil war.  It's possibly something like that, maybe not.  In any case, it's easy to test, and I'll note it down.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is the adventure mode stuff...  I only recently made towns angry when you attack the citizens, and it might have had dwarf mode repercussions.  All too common...

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 06:01:00 am »

The same happened to me just two minutes ago!

I had an injured dwarf being taken care of, when suddenly he goes berserk. Someone kills him, and soon the whole fortress was killing each other. Two dwarves survived.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 06:07:00 am »

HE he he....  I guess the priority for that one is gonna be pretty high.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 09:53:00 am »

Boy oh boy, yeah, I keep getting this happening to me. It's a crazy killing spree. From the looks of things, what may be happening to me is dwarves becoming overly unhappy at having tantrums and killing each other, causing others to become increasingly unhappy, leading them to tantrums. Pretty soon you have one dwarf left, and she's laying in a corridor, with major wounds, unable to move, shouting obscenities at her god.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Nobody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 10:31:00 am »

Speaking of dwarves killing dwarves... (Happens all the time, cause I suck at getting nutrition for the poor things), something interesting happened in one of my Adventure games.

I started off with a dwarven character in a home city I usually start off in, when all of a sudden I get hundreds of combat messages, involving weaponsmiths charging peasants, and merchants strangling axe lords. I wanted to see what was going on, but the message heap was too much, so I fled. I should've gone back, but unfortunately my wrestling dwarf couldn't handle three cheetahs, and died. I don't recall doing anything to the home city, but it randomly degenerated into blood fueled anarchy.

Strange rage bug, or devious hidden feature to simulate civil war? I'm going to go back to that place and see if all the dwarves are dead, and hope that there's plunder a plenty.

A HREF="http://www.adventuresofbrian.org<BR>">www.adventuresofbrian.org
 My Personal Exercise in Futility

"oh, but the knobby ends can all bite in yours, so it''s like... more advanced tentacle demons where they have lil mouths."
-Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 10:35:00 am »

I have fixed but not yet tested the dwarf berserk civil war bug...  now, the adventure mode version, I have no clue.  They shouldn't be going crazy in the same way in adventure mode...  maybe dwarf mode leaked over to adventure mode and...  I dunno yet.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 06:26:00 am »

Yeah, I've run through another game, on my still-buggy version, civil war seems to carry on even through migrations. One dwarf will be left, more will migrate, and if a fight breaks out due to the survivor dwarf being affected, all the migrants are then affected. Weird.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 07:38:00 pm »

Oh, damn. :\
Same berzerker incident just happend to me. Except I was trying to keep the dwarf as happy as possible. I threw in 3 cabinets and 2 chairs, but that was only enough to delay the tantrums. I couldn't get the materials the dwarf wanted most cause she wanted obsidian, ivory and aquamarine (picky bastard). I wasn't exactly willing to sacrifice sword material for stuff that would probably only delay the tantrums.

In the end I sent in a renovation team to decorate the walls in her room, but that didn't help at all and she went berzerker (despite two mangled wounds that kept her in bed all the time). The worst thing was that, for the first time, I got a big spring migration (heck, survived winter for the first time, too) and they all slaughtered each other leaving one person wounded, who went to bed and would probably end up in tantrums eventually.

I never really looked into the matter, since I don't really wanna see my dwarves drunk and fighting each other, but could alcohol keep a wounded person happy, numb the pain or just keep them too drunk to go berzerker? This AI bug is really annoying especially since they're so hard to please. :\