Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: [10sm]It's the small things v0.2 - .39d compatible  (Read 31409 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [10sm]It's the small things v0.2 - Prefstring mod compl
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 09:29:00 pm »

These ideas are really good.  We require more vespe- I mean flavor text.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 09:41:00 pm »

I'm working on the religion joining, experience, etc. flavour text for now while I procrastinate. It's pretty hard to test out because the bloody high priest won't stand still.

Armok: Yeah, I'd like to change those too. All the fortress mode text isn't in there either. A bit of a letdown... maybe some saviour will come by with l33t 4@xkz0rs and provide them for us.

Earthquake Damage: Thanks!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>JT: You already gave me that list remember? :P It's already in the mod. I guess I'll credit you. Anyone else want to be credited for their contribution to the threat.txt?</STRONG>

God, I can't even remember half of you people any more. ;-)

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 06:48:00 pm »

Here's to food: http://pastebin.com/f5dec2680
Credits to Reflectedsoundofundergroundspirits (god that's sooo long) and Dwarmin.
Copy from line 3 downward, line 1 was just an annotation.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 01:47:00 am »

Just checked the threat.txt, and was surprised to find my entry in there.  Also, are those actually Baldur's Gate quotes you stuck in?  They look like them, so unless there's been some coincidence of cosmic proportions, I'm going to assume that they are.  Ah, the memories...

I can't believe "You don't stand a chance" isn't in there!  It's part of every baddy's vocabulary!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 01:52:00 am »

I think I recall someone saying we should use the Baldur's Gate threats inside it in the old thread and I just copied what he provided. I haven't actually played it because... well... I don't like magic and I'm not fond of D&D.

jaybud: thanks mate!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 03:31:00 am »

I think Baldur's Gate is worth at least looking at, you might be surprised.  I played Baldur's Gate long before I knew what D&D was, and I enjoyed it mightily.

I don't know if there's a demo to it, but if there is I strongly recommend it.  It's a little bit complex, and it takes a while to get a hang for what all's going on, but consider for a moment the game these forums are based around.  You'd have no problem with something as simple as BG.

Magic, however, is indeed a very strong part of Baldur's Gate.  I can't deny that.  I can only ask that you take a look to see if you mind it as much as the magery you've found in other places.

Still, I heard the voices that launched those taunts at me when I read it in the file, and I was instantly transported back to my time playing BG...   Ahh, the glorious times I had.  Starting an evocation-specific mage in the starting town and then blasting as many spells as I could at the peasantry before a guard happened by and crumpled my fragile wizard frame by laughing heartily.

And then there was the time I agreed to clear out that old woman's house, and forgot to take along a few poison antidotes.  I died soon after being mobbed by seven giant spiders and a couple ettercaps (pot-bellied grunting bipedal spiderlovers that set traps in dungeons).

But most of all, I remember the people.  Walking down the first path of my adventures while accompanied by the cheerful and mischievious Imoen, and coming across a mage bickering loudly with his rather psychotic halfling traveling companion.

"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!  'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

A psychotic halfling and a schizophrenic necromancer.  Perfect additions to any party, wouldn't you say?   Traveling on, you encounter such interesting companions as a stuttering elven fighter who's afraid of his own shadow and his slightly overbearing druid half-elf wife, a gnome with a serious case of god syndrome, and a berserker ranger who's taken a few too many hits to the head and now unquestioningly heeds the advice of a hamster he carries with him at all times.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 03:35:00 am »

Ahaha! Those characters sound interesting! I guess I could play it as a knight or barbarian or something. Will check it out sometime this weekend. Maybe I'll get some ideas on what to put for the gloating.

EDIT: Basically, if it doesn't fall into any of these, I'll check it out

- protagonist is under 20
- protagonist is a whiner
- protagonist is a dumbass
- there are 5 times more women than men
- hentai(anime form)
- obscene misusing of biblical symbolism to look cool
- politics aimed at people with an average understanding of politics
- serious historical shows that alter history to some ridiculous scenario
- predictable, boring, done-before, blatant imitation, etc.
- 16 year old vampires
- takes itself too seriously
- crappy music
- crappy voice acting
- main character is a typical archetype

Of course, everything is overruled by the, "supreme lulz overcomes all" rule and if there is a scene of a giant orbital laser firing (or equivalent giant laser), I'd hit it.

[ April 23, 2008: Message edited by: umiman ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 07:20:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>
- protagonist is under 20
- protagonist is a whiner
- protagonist is a dumbass
- main character is a typical archetype</STRONG>

Main character is customizable.  Up to you.  However, you start out as the ward of an old wizard, so I think you're supposed to be at least relatively young.  Also, in the beginning, you'll be treated like it.

quote:
<STRONG>
- there are 5 times more women than men</STRONG>

Hardly.  They're about equal in number, but the number of actually good-looking women is small.  Small enough to make each one worth taking a second look at...

quote:
<STRONG>
- hentai(anime form)</STRONG>

What have you been playing lately?...

quote:
<STRONG>
- obscene misusing of biblical symbolism to look cool</STRONG>

Can't say I noticed any.

quote:
<STRONG>
- politics aimed at people with an average understanding of politics</STRONG>

I think it deals with certain political aspects at times, but I didn't notice anything that shouted about the real world politics.

quote:
<STRONG>
- serious historical shows that alter history to some ridiculous scenario</STRONG>

Nope.  Making it up as they go along.

quote:
<STRONG>
- predictable, boring, done-before, blatant imitation, etc.</STRONG>

Under no circumstances.

quote:
<STRONG>
- 16 year old vampires</STRONG>

Most of them are closer to the 450-1400 age range.  They don't look a day over 370 though.

quote:
<STRONG>
- takes itself too seriously</STRONG>

Under no circumstances.

quote:
<STRONG>
- crappy music</STRONG>

Nope.

quote:
<STRONG>
- crappy voice acting</STRONG>

Under no circumstances.  Some of the best I've heard.

Yes, I'm aware that wasn't actually directed at BG, but I felt inclined to answer it anyways.

Oh, and you probably won't be running into the god-syndrome gnome very quickly.  He's hidden away in the biggest city in the game, and I don't remember where he is exactly...  He is good for a laugh though.  He constantly talks in the third person, and resolutely believes that his will defines the cosmos.  Then there's another gnome named Quayle (easier to find, he's sitting outside the gates to that big city) who thinks everyone but him has the intellectual capacity of a slug.  He acts accordingly.

Most of the characters you pick up will have their own agenda.  They will join up with you believing that you will further that goal, and if you don't they will eventually get angry and leave.  Also, some people really just don't get along, so make sure to put some thought into gathering a "compatible" party (or, y'know, don't), otherwise you'll have a fight on your hands.

I recommend a fighter or a paladin.  The paladin gets some nice bonuses, including the ability to turn undead creatures away, which is unspeakably useful.  Just try to remember that you've got it on hand when the need arises.

Note that the game really isn't that flexible in the long run as far as your alignment is concerned...  It will eventually force you into doing good acts if you carry on with the main quests.  However, feel free to wreak a little (note: little.  Word spreads) havoc when you're not actively pursuing the "big" goal.

Don't just try out magical items you find in order to find out what they do.  Getting an item identified for you is a pittance in comparison to what can happen if you don't.

Also, please don't feed the xvarts.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 02:00:00 am »

HUMANOID SKYSUCKERS!!!
EHEEEHEEEEE!!
And all other crazy sounds they do.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 03:29:00 pm »

Heu, Umiman.
I want to merge a couple of cool mods into one. I mean something that improves gameplay. You may check the mod with latin name in the thread, I want to take salt and stone weapons out of it. I'd like to add your engravings/phrases as well. You will be in the top part of the credits. Is it ok? =)

[ April 24, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 08:40:00 pm »

Sure, go right ahead! For the Threat.txt, you should thank the community though.

I'm going to start working on this again later this week. Exams over yay!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 02:09:00 am »

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE'S A 8 IMAGE PER POST LIMIT!?

:(

I foresee problems with new displays...

Anyway, I've been working on religion for now and it's hard. It's also very hard to test. Would anyone like to help me out in testing to see whether they are working?

Just add these in your \data\speech\temple_become_member.txt

• Very well. I see no reason to doubt your faith, child. I welcome you to [CONTEXT:ENTITY:TRANS_NAME].
  • You have made the right choice! Rejoice! As the voice of [CONTEXT:ENTITY:WORSHIP_HF:TRANS_NAME], I welcome you to [CONTEXT:ENTITY:TRANS_NAME]!
  • Cheer, my friend, for now is the reckoning of your rebirth into the order of [CONTEXT:ENTITY:WORSHIP_HF:RANDOM_DEF_SPHERE].
  • [CONTEXT:ENTITY:WORSHIP_HF:RANDOM_DEF_SPHERE]! [CONTEXT:ENTITY:WORSHIP_HF:RANDOM_DEF_SPHERE]![CONTEXT:ENTITY:WORSHIP_HF:RANDOM_DEF_SPHERE]! Hear the cries of our newest follower! Welcome friend! Welcome to our congregation!
  • You wish to join [CONTEXT:ENTITY:TRANS_NAME]? I see the purity of [CONTEXT:ENTITY:WORSHIP_HF:RANDOM_DEF_SPHERE] in your heart! I hear the cry of our master, [CONTEXT:ENTITY:WORSHIP_HF:TRANS_NAME] in your soul! So be it! By the word of [CONTEXT:ENTITY:WORSHIP_HF:TRANS_NAME], you are now one of us. Celebrate and rejoice!
  • My child, you have been one with [CONTEXT:ENTITY:WORSHIP_HF:TRANS_NAME] since time immortal. Ever since creation have you been a follower of [CONTEXT:ENTITY:TRANS_NAME]. This question is to me merely you finally ackowledging your faith. I am glad, my child, that you open your eyes at last.
  • Blessed be you, for today you are made anew in the order of [CONTEXT:ENTITY:TRANS_NAME]. Go now and spread the word so more too can join us in [CONTEXT:ENTITY:WORSHIP_HF:RANDOM_DEF_SPHERE]!

Note that the game starts all of these sentences with text from positive.txt

[ April 26, 2008: Message edited by: umiman ]

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2008, 07:19:00 pm »

As far as those images go, I might suggest combining the actual image about the mod with the border image beneath it.
That'll clear up a few image slots for you.
Or, or, you could just not use images at all...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 01:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I can't believe "You don't stand a chance" isn't in there!  It's part of every baddy's vocabulary!</STRONG>

"You don't stand a GHOST of a chance!" :P

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7