Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating the Unified Plant Mod  (Read 2401 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Creating the Unified Plant Mod
« on: March 24, 2008, 01:05:00 am »

I'm putting together a mod to re-balance plants and add several more. Most of them are new, things like "musk leaf" (a Dwarven spinach), or "green cloister" (re-named peas). I'm also going over the original plants to re-organize them; all the surface plants will have growing seasons, and Dwarven plants have more seasonal flexibility, but a longer growing time, as the benefits of consistent weather underground are weighed against the lower amount of energy and food available there. I wanted to know what are the best plants from other mods to integrate into the Grand Unified Plant Mod. List suggestions here. By the way; is it possible to give the [HAS_SHELL] or glowing tile tokens to plants? I want to have gourds and glowing mushrooms.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Creating the Unified Plant Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 01:09:00 am »

Here's some very useful info, if you don't already have it.  A year in DF is 4032 "units" long, each season is 1008 (at least according to the archived data).  With this, you can create plants that take multiple seasons to grow, instead of the current 2-3 harvests per season.

Unless, of course, you want some o' my lovely rock moss, which can be harvested six times a season, but is as bad a plant as I could make it.  Also, when it starts to grow, it looks like you're farming vomit.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 01:29:00 am »

Sure, I'll take it. I'll put it in the Chasm biome. I think, however, that multi-seasonal crops don't work, as the dwarves think the season will end before it can ripen, so they won't plant it. Thanks for the info.

Maher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 01:53:00 am »

Na, multi season plants work... I think I have saffron growing at 3 seasons at the moment.  Its extract, although you don't get much from each plant, is worth it's weight in gold though.  This means that you really can support yourself of farming late game.  Since I only extract at the still, you can't mix it in the kitchen and make supper meals (that'd just be cheating since I figure you could hit meals in the 10k range).

Although I know saffron works, it only seems to be planted in the spring (right after the year turn-over) which means you may not be able to keep plants growing over the year change.  Post if you find out differently.  

I like keeping real-world above ground plants like coffee, corn, and cabbage... so none of my plants would fit in your mod.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 02:54:00 am »

My plant mod has about 15 unique plants, You can use em if you want. I would be willing to change some so they wont overlap.
bumped the thread
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 03:42:00 am »

Mmmm, Dwarf Fortress: Harvest Moon.

Great. As if the game wasn't addictive enough already   :roll:

*hits rock with Hammer*

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 04:01:00 am »

I was making a few realistic plants for my pirate and Greece mods, so they most likely wouldn't fit in.  Ambrosia is fun to make, by the way.  DRINKVALUE:500.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »

Well, once I finish my plant mod, I'll be happy to donate it to this project.

Right now, I'm adding some flowers. I have the starflower, value 3, grows only in winter in tundras and taigas as well as the boneflower, which will be an evil plant once I finish deciding what to do with it and make it.

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

Here's the List. I'll Go thrugh this and write the Raws in a while.

The List O' Plants:         

Dwarven:         
   Plump Helmets   :   A major Dwarven food Crop. Versatile, but will not grow in winter. Brewed into Wine
   Sweet Pods   :   Source of Dwarven Sugar.  Can be made into Rum.
   Cave Wheat   :   Refined into Flour or Beer
   Dimple Cup   :   A maligned Dwarven crop, this can only be used to make a valuable dye.
   Rock Nuts   :   The leaves of this plant are edible, but require much work to be prepared.
   Pig Tail   :   A popular form of fiberus fungi, useful for simple fabrics.
   Star Mushroom   :   This glowing plant can be made into literally sparkling wine, and makes a great light snack!
   Heart Spore   :   The off-putting name of this hides a pleasant taste in a heart-shaped plant.
   Greater Truffle   :   A rare Dwarven plant that can be grown underground and in the open, though slowly.
   Cave Squash   :   Tasty and hearty, this plant requires longer to grow than most others. Brewed into Squash Ale
   Rock Moss   :   An extremely simple and bland plant, this is still a staple in many Mountainhomes.
   Native Cap   :   Many sub-varieties of this white mushroom exist, and one will always grow somewhere. Can't be drunk.
   Musk Leaf   :   Fine, dusty sheaves of moss with a thick odor. Only Dwarves could love it...
   Granite Grass   :   This Dwarven plant is one of the few to grow above ground, up in the reaches of the mountains.
   Mountain Sprig   :   Like Granite Grass, except even rarer. Can be brewed into Summit Cider.
   Woolly Moss   :   A soft, puffy mold used for finer cloths.

Humans:   Muck Roots   :   Yamlike, but more gritty and bland. Makes a kind of beer, right?
   Bloated Tuber   :   A potato. Now has “spawn” for growing new batches. Make this make Vodka or something.
   Longland Grass   :   Similar to wheat, but more brushy and coarse. Makes Longland Beer.
   Hide Root   :   A root with a powerful odor useful for tanning and dieing.
   Dew Vine   :   A Tomato. No, the plant.
   Sugar Reed   :   An actual sugar cane. Makes Rum
   Army Vine   :   Grapes; the clusters of fruits are seen to resemble a wave of soldiers. Makes Grape Wine
   Leather Leaf   :   Cabbage-like vegetable.
   Wheat   :   There's “Cave Wheat” so why not Normal wheat. Makes Human Beer.
   Horse Grain   :   Oats; has normal oat brewables.
   Spear Plant   :   Corn by another name. Can be brewed
   Titan Squash   :   A large, reddish orange squash. I.E. Pumpkins
   Red Root   :   Red is a misnomer, as they are mostly orange. A small sprig above ground belies 'carrots'
   White Water Grain   :   White Rice. Both Rices make Rice Wine.
   Brown Water Grain   :   Brown Rice. Come to think of it, are these actually different plants?
   Pine Flower   :   An extractable plant that grows in pine forests as a spice.
   Jute Grass   :   Makes Burlap, for cheap cloth.
   Rabbit Herb   :   A spice from oaken areas.
   Violet Root   :   Insanely hot herb that can be extracted or brewed into a terrible beverage.

Elves:         
   Fisher Berries   :   Brewable berries, probably blueberries come to think of it.
   Sun Berries   :   Elven fancy-pants glowy fruit.
   Whip Vines   :   Expensive Wine and flour. Made more rare.
   Valley Herb   :   Salve!
   Blade Weed   :   Dye!
   Rope Reed   :   Cloth! And Spirits!
   Kobold Bulb   :   Why do Elves have Kobold Plants? No one knows, it's part of the shaded history of them... Probably Garlic.
   Evermind Flower   :   Don't ask me why, but I liked this plant.
   Beed Berry Fern   :   A simple and fast growing plant that grows small, tangy berries.
   Moon Leaf   :   Lettuce.
   Sour Root   :   Onion. With Onion Wine.
   Aloe   :   The desert plant can have “Aloe” extracted.
   Dragon Herb   :   This is another stolen plant, but I like the background and the extractables.
   Palm Choker   :   A Spice plant for tropical areas.
   Brush Greens   :   Spinach
   Milk Pod   :   Coconut, with extractable milk.
   Oil Seed   :   Olives. Not brewed but milled to oil, so it can be used in cooking.
   Yellow Tongue    :   Bananas. Normally they have trees, but in DF they don't.
   Green Cloister   :   Peas.
   Scull Spine   :   A violent name for an Elven breed of Cactus.

Goblins:         
   Blood Sponge   :   A saggy, bloated plant that grows in Evil areas. Brews into Bloodwine.
   Red Tower   :   A crenelated mushroom that can be eaten, or milled into a dye.
   Rust Grass   :   Splotchy orange and red wheatlike plant.
   Blue Drum   :   Grows into a pale blue-and-green gourd. Brews into Blue Ale.
   Rip Hair   :   Scraggy and itchy cloth that is nonetheless tough.
   Rat Weed   :   As we know and love.
   Brass Blossom   :   A yellow fungal flower with use as a spice.
   Lizard's leg   :   Another spice, growing in the desert.

Kobolds:         
   Marrow Pod   :   An incredibly durable shell protects a dry but meaty fruit.
   Durian   :   A terrible-smelling fruit that actually tastes quite good, supposedly.
   Rot Weed   :   Brewable, millable, and weavable. Not that it's any good once you're done.
   Rock Needle   :   A form of Cactus with all but no nutritional value.

Other Plants:         
   Silver Barb   :   Curor and dye. Why did I plant this again?
   Crag Brush   :   Tumble weed, except for that fact that Dwarven ingenuity can squeeze a few drops of ale out of it.
   Elk Grass   :   A sparse grass that grows in the tundra.
   Yhevek Plant   :   Glacial ice suppresses all but the hardiest of plants and dwarves. This plant takes most of the year to grow.
   Iron Spice   :   A cave spice that looks like rust, and gives a metallic tang.
   Ash Cap   :   A volcanic mushroom that provides a sometimes pleasant sulfurous taste.
   Water Reed   :   Cat tails. The root is the most edible part, once boiled briefly.

Seaweeds:         
   Shark Purse   :   Pockets of fiber that can be brewed to Shark's Blood. Don't ask me why purses give blood...
   Coast Wire   :   Coarse wires of seaweed that require a lot of chewing.
   Bone Moss   :   Grows near the waves and can be ground into Bone Moss Powder for cooking.
   Clam Hook   :   Bits of edible fruit exist in this plant.
   Salt Moss   :   The last Spice, a salty, salty, salty plant.

Maher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »

Although I don't think multi year plants work... it would be awesome if one of you guys could test this for me (At college, no time during the week)

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:APPLE]
[TILE:235][COLOR:4:0:1]
[NAME:apple][NAME_PLURAL:apples]
[GROWDUR:6000][VALUE:3]
[DRINK:apple cider:7:0:0]
[DRINKVALUE:2]
[SEED:0:0:1]
[GENPOWER:1]
[LEAVES:20]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:100]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[PREFSTRING:apple tree]
[WET][DRY][BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]

This will generate something strange... a tree that grows in a year and a half (I'd like to change this to 3-5 years, but this is just a test) and has to be processed into bags.  The fruit should be called "apple leaves" but just ignore that, I'm using leaves because it guarantees that you get 20-100 apples from every stack of apple tree.  Longterm high investment.  Downside is that there is only one harvest and we don't have intermediate plants implemented yet   :(  
I want to see seedlings or something instead of going from dirt to fruit in a single instant... my farming mod feels really bare when most of the time I'm sitting looking a empty fields.

If that didn't help out in other people's coding, here is another easy trick i use:
I have lots of plants that I plan on selling uncooked to traders... problem is that I lose all of my seeds and can't grow anything after a year or two.  The solution is to simply add something like this
[SEEDNAME  :potato eye][SEED:4:0:1]
[MILL  :potato:7:0:1]
[MILL_VALUE:3]
[COOKABLE_WHEN_MILLED]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN]
This means that you use the mill as a general processing center (think washing/bagging/whatnot) to prepare your produce for market, while extracting the seeds.  You will need to have a constant supply of bags to keep everything in... but it you typically bag/barrel your goods anyways so it doesn't matter.

You should be able to get plenty of additions to your mod if you can get a couple of creative people to make a bunch of dwarf plants on these basic setups.

EDIT:
Haha, you have no shortage of plants as I can see.

[ March 24, 2008: Message edited by: Maher ]

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »

Thanks, I was considering having orchard plants, but didn't like the fact that the tree would dissapear after harvesting. "Bananas" (yellow tongue plants) are assumed to grow on the ground, however. Also, I changed Brown and White water grains to simply Water Grain, as it turns out they are the same plant. I also added "Plume Blossoms" that are a cotton-like plant. Can you drink cotton? Can dwarves brew them? I wanted to give the big three races good and bad cloth. The total stands at 79 plants. I could and one more.

Edit: Oops, missed strawberries. That's 80 plants! It's TOO MANY!!! AHHH!!!

[ March 25, 2008: Message edited by: PTTG?? ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 12:43:00 am »

Cotton gin.

Oh come on, you were asking for it...

When I made rock moss, I added in a drink called "rockspit", which was supposed to be the foulest booze dwarves could get their grubby little hands on.    However, [VALUE:1] means you can get barrels for half as much as you'd pay under other circumstances.  Barrel = 10 Pts. Dwarven booze = 2 Pts. 5 booze = 1 barrel.  Rockspit barrel = 5 Pts.   I really don't recommend it.

You might want to consider honeycombs as well.  [SEEDNAME:queen bee] and [EXTRACT:honey:6:0:0] can lead to some fun times.  Let's also not forget mead.

I wonder if you can cook an extract that's in a vial...   Dwarven hot sauce, anyone?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »

OK, the V1 is up! Take a look here:

NWP forums : Plant mod thread

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

Looks... Well, I can't really say. You see, the first part is nice and ordered. Then comes the actual new stuff. And it's annoying to read, because everything is in the same line.

Anyway, click to see what I've done so far. Edit and integrate as you wish.

I also have a few trees, though they're only there to spruce up subterranean areas. I can show you if you want though.

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]