Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: making bronze the minor metal of choice  (Read 1107 times)

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
making bronze the minor metal of choice
« on: April 19, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

So I want to have a civ that uses bronze almost exclusivley, but setting them to [minor_metal] makes them use copper which is a bit too minor... any idea how I would go about replacing copper with bronze? Think just dropping the value of bronze and/ or raising the value of copper would do it?

[ April 19, 2008: Message edited by: Fleeb ]

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: making bronze the minor metal of choice
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »

Well, it all depends on how you want to do it.  [MINOR_METAL] points at the second-lowest quality weapons and armor metal (lowest would be stuff like silver).  No tag points at second-best non-deep metal (humans lack a metal tag, and so they pick iron).  [METAL_PREF] points to the best non-deep metal, which is currently steel.

I've heard people talking about the value of metal dictating what's used, but for me it seems that the quality rating is what determines its placing in the metal hierarchy.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »

Quality is more probable.
No metal tag limits the used metal to those that don't exceed 100 effectiveness.
Metal_pref allows all metals except deep ones.
Minor_metal seems to allow all workable metals below 50 effectiveness.

As to the topic, this is what I can suggest.

If you're keeping humans, just give them metal_pref so they can use steel. Then make iron have 101 effectiveness, and have your race have no metal tag. Iron will be excluded then, and your race will always use bronze, as it is second after iron.

[ April 19, 2008: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

Having used the bronze mod I can tell you that humans without the metal_pref tag will use metals above 100 effectiveness. They didn't use steel at 133 but they did use aluminum bronze at 110 and the other added metals.

If you want to use bronze as the choice metal try putting it at 51 damage and give them the minor metal tag. Then after world gen change it back. Civs get thier matgloss tags handed out at world gen so they would only use bronze. The down side is that the kobolds will also have bronze.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 03:35:00 pm »

Interesting ideas, thanks guys. I'll play around with these and see what works best.

quote:
If you want to use bronze as the choice metal try putting it at 51 damage and give them the minor metal tag. Then after world gen change it back. Civs get thier matgloss tags handed out at world gen so they would only use bronze. The down side is that the kobolds will also have bronze.

I think this is best for my needs. I want one civ to use steel, one to use iron and a third to use bronze. I don't mind kobolds having bronze. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks again ya'll!

[ April 19, 2008: Message edited by: Fleeb ]

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law