Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lots and lots of questions  (Read 1248 times)

Lord Trogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lots and lots of questions
« on: March 24, 2008, 10:32:00 pm »

So yay first post and all that jazz  :)

Straight to the point; I'm wondering what a couple of tokens do, namely:
[IMMOLATE]
[PATTERNFLIER]
[IMPROVED_BOWS]

- Does the [LIGHT_GEN] tag make a creature easier to see to everyone else? would it interfere with sneaking?
- If I give a creature the [Chitin] tag, will the chitin maintain the leather properties such as any fixed temperatures I gave their leather? (I heard that leather maintains creature properties such as [FIREIMMUNE])
- if I mod in an item that ignites at a lower temperature than it melts, boils or takes heat damage will the fire not harm it?
- if I give a creature both the ability to make fireballs and to web it's enemies will it use them both?
- similarly to above if I give a creature both an inject extract and a blood sucking special attack will it use both at once? (if they are both used in the same attack)
- are there defaults for creature temperature ranges? Or do I have to set things like the heat damage point and ignite point for magma creatures?
- is there a way to make a creature see through walls?
- If I make a civilizatoin leader a champion will they be ledgendary in a random weapon skill?
- What is a site leader?
- Would the game accept it if I made a shield and gave it damage values? (like a spiked shield that does 50 pierce damage)
- can I make a limb that can grasp like a hand to gouge eyes and such without giving it fingers?
- and finally can I make a weapon that does two damage types? If I give two damage types to a weapon what will the game do?

Enjoy!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Lots and lots of questions
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:11:00 am »

First of all, welcome to the forums!  It's a strange place full of strange people, but we don't bite that hard.

Since I don't know what the first three tags do either, I'll just start in on the list o' questions.

- Not sure, but don't think so.
- Yes.  It just renames the leather.
- I think so.
- Yes.
- Yes.
- There are defaults, in the [STANDARD_FLESH] tag.  For the example of magma creatures, just look at the magma critters already found in the game to see for yourself.  Note that if a creature has the [FIXED_TEMP  :(number)] tag, it will not only be unaffected by outside temperatures but it will also radiate that temperature.  This can lead to some really fun stuff.
- No.  There are ways of making a creature detect things innately in fortress mode, but they cannot see through walls.
- As in the CHAMPION job tag?  Not sure that it exists.  The common "staplerlord/elite snotmaster" critters appear with the STANDARD tag.  That would yield a random weaponmaster, if you want a specific one, type in the corresponding weapon-job-thingy.
- A site leader is the minor leader of a settlement.  Say a civilization consists of five cities, including the capitol.  The capitol will house the "big man" leader, as well as a site leader and possibly a mayor.  The other four cities will have a site leader and possibly a mayor.  It's either that, or mayors edge out site leaders (mayors are added by the [MAYOR] tag, by the way).
- No.
- Yes.
- Nope.  If you add two damages, it will either crash or use the last damage type expressed in the weapon profile.  This will probably be changed some time in the future, but not soon I'm afraid.  Ask 'Sean Mirrsen' for tips on how to make cool weapons using the current limitations.

[ March 25, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Lord Trogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I found that champion job tag in a wiki page listing professions. I've got some more questions now.
- I tried the [LIGHT_GEN] tag on a playable race in adventure mode and noticed no difference at night. What does this tag do exactly?
- How do I make a grasp limb without fingers?
- and does anyone know if a mayor gets rid of site leaders and also would a site leader do mayoral duties if the civ in question didn't have a mayor?
- and of course I'd still like to know about:
[IMMOLATE] I've seen this tag on firesnakes only
[PATTERNFLIER] This one I've only seen on batmen and caveswallowmen
[IMPROVED_BOWS] and this tag is on elves in the entity_default file

For any interested I'm working on a race of light/shadowy beings and also on some fire spiders with burning webs (or perhaps just high temperature webs), fireballs, and fire immunity.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 05:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Trogg:
<STRONG>- How do I make a grasp limb without fingers?</STRONG>

Just make a new body part and add the (I think) [GRASP] tag.
You can make an organ with all the senses and grasp if you want.

Lord Trogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 06:54:00 pm »

Well this body part:
[BODY:TAIL_GRASP]
[BP:TAIL:tail][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY][GRASP]
has fingers. I can see them when I'm wrestling any creature that has it. Grab first finger, tail.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 09:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Trogg:
<STRONG>Well this body part:
[BODY:TAIL_GRASP]
[BP:TAIL:tail][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY][GRASP]
has fingers. I can see them when I'm wrestling any creature that has it. Grab first finger, tail.</STRONG>

That's because in the creature's entry in the creature files, in its body token, it has 5FINGERS. The [5FINGERS] body token attaches to ANY body part with [GRASP], it appears. If you don't want fingers on the tail, remove the 5FINGERS from the creature, and it will remove them from the tail; however, this will also remove them from the hands. If this is not desired, you can make an entry in the body_default file in which the fingers attach to the specific hand tokens (RH and LH, usually), I could make one for you but I'm too lazy to do that, unless you ask me for it.

Also, I believe the [IMPROVED_BOWS] makes them decorate their bows, but don't quote me on that.

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 09:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Untelligent:
<STRONG>
Also, I believe the [IMPROVED_BOWS] makes them decorate their bows, but don't quote me on that.</STRONG>

It does.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.