Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Items in  (Read 1323 times)

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
Modding Items in
« on: March 05, 2008, 01:49:00 am »

So, I've seen various things about Modding in Glass barrels and the like and I was  wondering a few things...

1) How do you mod weapons to train alternate skills (In the case of Adventure Mode, the Weapons that train Appraisal?)
3) Massive changes like this... do they require you to delete previous non-modded worlds?

[ March 05, 2008: Message edited by: Kaelem Gaen ]

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Items in
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 01:58:00 am »

1. I will let someone who knows answer this one.
2. No, no deletions necessary, so long as nothing is deleted from the raws it should still work as normal.  Previously generated worlds will only use those things which were in existence when it was formed (for smelter reactions, even when making minor changes, those changes did not take effect until after I generated a new world, but those changes were spelling ans stuff so I may have simply made mistakes).  So if you add a reaction or a plant or an animal, the old world just won't have that item in it at all.  If, however, you delete things from the raws, THEN you will need to make new worlds to get them to work at all.  However you still don't need to delete old worlds.  You could always go back, put all the stuff deleted back in, and use the old worlds.  I do this every time I want to play my favorite old fort because normally, for new forts, I just delete all non-sand soil (I like sand).  Previously generated worlds are like old text files.  They don't matter until you try to open them.  Heck they are even kept in all separate folders from eachother.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:09:00 am »

I haven't tried it myself but you should only need to replace where it says what skill the weapon uses (ie. Sword) to something like comedian.  Theres a full list of the skills somewhere but I forget where.

EDIT:I still can't find the list. Really trial and error should work to find what you want.  As long as the weapon appears I don't believe you would need to regen to change the used skill.

[ March 05, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »

As on add-on question.  Can items train more than one skill?
And, can you put in NEW weapons or only edit the raws for the existing weapons?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

Go to the wiki, and look at the 'memory hacking' page.  It lists all the jobs, but doesn't list the job references, unfortunately..

I know of the jobs needed for butchery, cooking, fishing and clothesmaking, due to an ill-fated attempt at making job-specific weapon-tools.  Only clothesmaking is actually represented the same way.  The others are "BUTCHER", "COOK", and "FISH".

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 01:50:00 pm »

You can add your own weapons.  It's usually easier to copy a similar weapon and just edit the little details like damage, skill, weight and such in the copy.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »

EDIT: Well I got the Appraisal skill to show up at Character creation. But it didn't give me the value when I went to trade... but I also didn't start with a flail (which is what I modded for testing purposes.)  So I wonder if it even works, gonna go back and change it up.

*considers making a Coin-filled sock based on a flail, then grins*

Alright cool. thanks for the help.

[ March 05, 2008: Message edited by: Kaelem Gaen ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »

You can get Appraisal, but it won't get you trade item values. I think Toady already said there was no way to do it currently. I tried it quite some time ago.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »

AH okay, *Goes to delete his Pocket Universe and take out the Coinfilled sock*